Why become a member? ×

Rickenbackers; pick, fingers or 50/50?

Sparky Mark

2 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Really? You won't get much change from £2500 for a new 4003. That's several hundred pounds more than a USA Fender.

Plus Rickenbacker don't have a lower entry point such as Mexican Fenders or Epiphone. Rickenbackers are a big investment/risk if you're not 100% sure you'll eventually gel.

Im not a Fender fan, but that's the simple truth.

• Thanks 1

Indeed, you can pick up a genuine Gibson Thunderbird for around £1000 second hand, rather than £1500-2000 for a second hand 4003.

Though to be fair, there would appear to be a lot fewer Gibson basses kicking about than Fender or Rickenbacker.

Would still love to get my hands on a Victory though.

Edited by Skybone

3 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Really? You won't get much change from £2500 for a new 4003. That's several hundred pounds more than a USA Fender.

Plus Rickenbacker don't have a lower entry point such as Mexican Fenders or Epiphone. Rickenbackers are a big investment/risk if you're not 100% sure you'll eventually gel.

Well, we all know there isn't a budget sub-brand, so that's not particularly relevant.

Looking at Andertons prices, they have USA Fenders at around £2,000 and Rics at around £2,200, so it is not a completely different ball-park for someone who has that sort of budget.

38 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Indeed, you can pick up a genuine Gibson Thunderbird for around £1000 second hand, rather than £1500-2000 for a second hand 4003.

Though to be fair, there would appear to be a lot fewer Gibson basses kicking about than Fender or Rickenbacker.

You can pick up a Ric for around the £1k mark if you keep your eyes open.

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Well, we all know there isn't a budget sub-brand, so that's not particularly relevant.

Looking at Andertons prices, they have USA Fenders at around £2,000 and Rics at around £2,200, so it is not a completely different ball-park for someone who has that sort of budget.

So you're wanting to compare the most expensive non Custom Shop Fenders with the cheapest Rickenbacker? A Fender American Professional Jazz is £700 cheaper new than the £2200 cheapest Rickenbacker. 

However I was hoping to hear ftom Rickenbacker players about their playing technique not argue over pricing. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Anything that costs is a big investment risk if you’re not sure you’ll actually gel. 😉 At least with a Ric the resale value is usually pretty high. I’ve had Custom or boutique basses that cost way more than Rics that have immediately been worth about half as much once you’ve paid for them. Custom is the worst investment risk! 

Anyway, back to technique….

• Like 1

Not that I play it much these days but always used a pic with my ric to get the sound that I wanted. Using fingers just did not feel or sit right either. With other basses I am about 50/50 fingers/pic depending on song and sound I am trying to achieve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

So you're wanting to compare the most expensive non Custom Shop Fenders with the cheapest Rickenbacker? A Fender American Professional Jazz is £700 cheaper new than the £2200 cheapest Rickenbacker. 

However I was hoping to hear ftom Rickenbacker players about their playing technique not argue over pricing. 

Your choice which Fender you choose to compare which Ric to; in the end Ric sell every one they make, so plenty of folks have made their choice. 
Meanwhile I occasionally use my thumb. 

52 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Your chances to find out for yourself just improved.

Rickenbacker original equipment is now allowed to be traded on BC!!!! ( Copies still verboten )

That's great news. I might add another to my brace of 4003S if they start appearing here.

20220124_143318.thumb.jpg.d892b61f5e57578618ea94b2d5b1d701.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, as needed. Am on my 4th one now, a 4003s, that finally clicked, neck and tone-wise. Not the most consistent basses. I’d be scared to death to order one unplayed! 

this one is probably a keeper, but yes, picks and fingers…no thumbs, though…I’m too old.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2022 at 18:01, Skybone said:

I played some Victory’s back in the day. Didn’t like them at all. 

On 26/01/2022 at 18:01, Skybone said:

I haven't looked to buy a T-bird, so I'm not up on their prices; however, my recent Ric 4000-series bass purchases have been: £1068 (2017), £1800 (2018), £1100 (2018), £1055 (2019), £1100 (2019), £1160 (2021). I also came close to going for another at £1200 last year, but I was watching the pennies and held back on that one.

Quick question for the pick playing Rick owners: do you prefer the bridge pickup cover off or on?

Reason I ask is that I haven't got around to taking the cover off my new-ish 4003S and I am finding the pickup cover really quite a comfortable hand rest for when I do play with a pick.

PS, at our gig last week, the first outing for my 4003S, I played fingerstyle for 11 of 14 songs (thumb parked on top edge of neck pickup) and pick for the other 3

Edited by Clarky

I used to always have the cover on and use it for a rest. 

However, I've recently started using the Ric for blues and have been playing with fingers more. I fancied a change, so took the cover off and replaced it with a bevel with a cove on it. Makes finger playing really comfy and there's now no massive hole in the middle of my bass! I haven't experimented loads with pic positions, but I generally play nearer the bridge and use my palm to mute slightly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

Quick question for the pick playing Rick owners: do you prefer the bridge pickup cover off or on?

Reason I ask is that I haven't got around to taking the cover off my new-ish 4003S and I am finding the pickup cover really quite a comfortable hand rest for when I do play with a pick.

PS, at our gig last week, the first outing for my 4003S, I played fingerstyle for 11 of 14 songs (thumb parked on top edge of neck pickup) and pick for the other 3

With pick or fingers I tend to play just about where the cover was; I have bezels on both of mine. And how did the 4003S compare to your other gigging basses? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

how did the 4003S compare to your other gigging basses? 

My others are (currently, lol) two Precisions. In all honesty, I prefer finger style on a P bass as its so easy to shift right hand position. I bought the Rick to play more pick-style rock. Might see how I get on at next gig playing majority of tracks with a pick?

43 minutes ago, Clarky said:

My others are (currently, lol) two Precisions. In all honesty, I prefer finger style on a P bass as its so easy to shift right hand position. I bought the Rick to play more pick-style rock. Might see how I get on at next gig playing majority of tracks with a pick?

Yeah, get rid of the cover and you can move your right hand wherever you fancy. My reason to own a Ricky is for that picked sound. I find every other of my basses easier to play, but if I want that sound then there is no alternative. 

• Like 2

I like to move my right hand to play the high notes more mellow and the lowest notes more twangy. It is not an "angry" sound I'm after. I do try to not use the same tone on every song. Maybe 1/2pick and 1/2 fingers and some thumb and bridge palm-mute. I don't know if other band members hear any difference but I do.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grenadillabama said:

I like to move my right hand to play the high notes more mellow and the lowest notes more twangy. It is not an "angry" sound I'm after. I do try to not use the same tone on every song. Maybe 1/2pick and 1/2 fingers and some thumb and bridge palm-mute. I don't know if other band members hear any difference but I do.

I used to angle my pickups with the Bass one nearer the top strings and the Treble one nearer the lower ones.

• Like 2