Why become a member? ×

Rickenbackers; pick, fingers or 50/50?

Sparky Mark

I find playing Rickenbackers with fingers more comfortable than with a pick due to the lack of forearm contour, even on the S models.

However, I much prefer the sound with a pick so adapt my playing to suit even though it's out of my comfort zone.

I'd be interested to know whether other BC'ers have a preference?

I fall into the 50/50 camp personally and generally float between fingers and a pick depending on what I'm playing. I can't say I've ever thought playing with a pick was uncomfortable myself. Although there's no contour, the body is pretty thin so I've always found it to be okay for me.

When I have played slab bodies with a pick, I've always found it comfier to push the neck out away from me slightly. Or maybe try holding it so the neck is more vertical?

• Thanks 1

Fingers. Used to use a plectrum many moons ago, but decided to re-assess my technique using my fingers. I think it paid off.

I think that a lot of people who complain about the ergonomics of a Ric are more used to playing FSO's, and don't spend the time to assess how and where they play when they try Ric's, expecting that the techniques used on the FSO's will work. In fact, if you look at most Ric player's, they tend to play between the pickups (there are, of course, exceptions to this sweeping generalisation). If you play them between the pickups, then the wrist of the playing hand is away from the bit of the body above the bridge (where the forearm chamfer is on an FSO).

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

7 hours ago, NicoMcJ said:

Well, there’s only been 2 Rickenbacker players that anyone has heard of.  One used a pick, one used his fingers. Ergo, the answer is 50/50.

(PS - tongue very firmly in cheek here😊)

Geddy, Chris Squire, Bruce Foxton, Lemmy; there must be a shedload more?

However, I'm more interested in BC'ers who actually play Rickenbackers, not observations about famous players.

Edited by Sparky Mark

9 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

However, I'm more interested in BC'ers who actually play Rickenbackers, not observations about famous players.

IIRC, that list is 75% plectrum, 25% fingers.

That's obviously not helpful, and not constructive. Sorry. :D 

50/50. I had a 4003 and went between both, depending on what I was trying to achieve at the time.

However, much as I loved the sound, I was unable to ever find a way to play it which could reasonably be called comfortable, so I ended up selling it and bought something with a forearm contour and which didn't have that poxy metal bracket.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Skybone said:

Fingers. Used to use a plectrum many moons ago, but decided to re-assess my technique using my fingers. I think it paid off.

I think that a lot of people who complain about the ergonomics of a Ric are more used to playing FSO's, and don't spend the time to assess how and where they play when they try Ric's, expecting that the techniques used on the FSO's will work. In fact, if you look at most Ric player's, they tend to play between the pickups (there are, of course, exceptions to this sweeping generalisation). If you play them between the pickups, then the wrist of the playing hand is away from the bit of the body above the bridge (where the forearm chamfer is on an FSO).

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

What is an 'FSO' please?

• Thanks 1

I came to the Ric at a time where I was mostly a fingers player. I had a bezel and a zero mod thumb rest fitted BUT in spite of all that, I tend to play mine almost exclusively with a pick. Most of my basses are quite different from one another and I find I need to rehearse with a bass in order to get used to it. Mine's a 4003s so I don't know if that makes it any easier but hands down it's probably my favourite bass. Certainly top 3. 

• Like 2

75/25 for me. I think there’s a lot of material that sounds better with a pick but my pick playing is crap so I’ll only use one when I think I need to. 

The more grown up approach would be for me to face the problem head-on and work at my pick playing until it improved but I never laid any claims to being a grownup. 

• Like 2

50/50 for me: I have a Rickenbacker 4003S and if I play fingerstyle I tend to rest my thumb on the upper edge of the scratchplate over the neck toaster pickup, but if i play with a plectrum I rest my forearm on the horseshoe pickup cover. I prefer the deeper sound of the toaster, to be honest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul S said:

What is an 'FSO' please?

8 hours ago, Clarky said:

Guessing its Fender-shaped object? Either that or Flatulent Sheep Owner

Fender Shaped Object, but Flatulent Sheep Owner is funnier.

Most of the people who complain about the ergonomics of the 4000 series tend to come to them after exclusively and extensively playing Farting Slug Ovulations, and are therefore used to playing bass that way, with little willingness to adjust their playing style to match the instrument.

It's kind of like expecting an SUV to drive in exactly the same way as a Hot Hatch. The principles are the same, but each have their own idiosyncrasies that the driver has to adapt to, in order to get the best out of each, rather than expecting the SUV to drive exactly like the Hot Hatch (and vice versa).

I'm quite sure that each and everyone of us has spent a considerable amount of time playing Flying Saucy Onions, but have all come to the 4000 series basses with an open mind and a willingness to adjust & adapt in order to get the best out of them.

But there again, some people might just simply hate the ergonomics of them. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Cliff Burton played a Rick. Also the various Bassist of Hawkwind use a Rick, integral to Hawkwinds sound..

• Like 1

85% of the time is use a pick over the bridge PU.  If I play with fingers it’s between PUs and rest my thumb on the string.

Rics sound great to me with fingers but the type of music I play is better with pic overall.  You can even do dub with 4003.  Check out Killing Joke dub!  The Ric is more versatile than it is often given credit for imo 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sarlscharisma said:

85% of the time is use a pick over the bridge PU.  If I play with fingers it’s between PUs and rest my thumb on the string.

Rics sound great to me with fingers but the type of music I play is better with pic overall.  You can even do dub with 4003.  Check out Killing Joke dub!  The Ric is more versatile than it is often given credit for imo 

Absolutely agree that Rickenbackers are versatile but their unique ergonomics stop many bassists from even trying to use them. (Maybe their relatively high price compared to many FSOs plays a role in this too?).

4 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Absolutely agree that Rickenbackers are versatile but their unique ergonomics stop many bassists from even trying to use them. (Maybe their relatively high price compared to many FSOs plays a role in this too?).

The price thing is a bit of a myth, if you compare to US Gibson & Fender.

1 hour ago, prowla said:

The price thing is a bit of a myth, if you compare to US Gibson & Fender.

Really? You won't get much change from £2500 for a new 4003. That's several hundred pounds more than a USA Fender.

Plus Rickenbacker don't have a lower entry point such as Mexican Fenders or Epiphone. Rickenbackers are a big investment/risk if you're not 100% sure you'll eventually gel.

• Like 1