Why become a member? ×

New Jeff Berlin Jack Bruce tribute CD

visog

Quite the line-up - hope they are more than just cameos. Been in the works a while...

"Bass Relay" on Smiles & Grins - Tony Levin (Chapman stick), Billy Sheehan, Michael League, Mark King, Ron Carter, Marcus Miller, Nathan East, Geddy Lee

Vocals - Sammy Hagar, Alex Ligertwood, Ron Hemby, John Cowan, Gabriela Sinagra, Michael Dearing, Gumbi Ortiz, Jeff Berlin

Guitars - Alex Lifeson, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, Johnny Hiland, Eric Johnson, Scott Henderson, John McCracken

• Like 2

It is the second attempt to crowdfund the record after Pledgemusic collapsed. Despite not reaching the funding goal the record is effectively done and ready to release next month. I think it's seven years since the project was announced, evidently if you don't have a label pouring money in it makes the process more difficult. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Well, the record finally shipped! It had reached a point where Jeff had stopped promising the release it by a certain date. Evidently, things needed a last minute polish and other things had to be taken care of. Even, it hasn't been plain sailing as the first batch of CD's ordered were sold out right away and the second delivery was delayed, but they're now back in stock. 

I had written a short review earlier to post to Talkbass, I'll just copy it direct here...

"In any event, I had wanted to make a separate post for a proper review of 'Jack Songs'. I will try to keep it relatively brief in a sense because there is an element of surprise to be had which will probably cause a good degree of delight for the listener. I will try to inform on some of the background of the record without giving too much away about what you will actually hear.

My own journey with this record goes on nearly as long as it has been in production. In about 2013 I gave up playing bass for a short while and started playing guitar. I came back to the bass in late 2015 or early 2016. I can't quite recall how or why, but when I came back to playing bass I suddenly felt a very strong desire to just listen to loads of Jeff Berlin recordings, particularly his later works with Danny Gottlieb and Richard Drexler, ones that I hadn't paid as much attention to as his earlier works. I went to check out what Jeff was working on at the time and noted that he was running a 'Gofundme' campaign to raise funds for his Jack Bruce record. That was actually the first time that Jeff and I spoke, when I noted that I'd be interested in the project but I wasn't sure it was for me. I was huge fan of Jeff's work but wasn't so keen on Jack Bruce's music. Honest to a fault, Jeff told me that I might be better saving my money if I didn't think it would be to my taste. I ended the conversation by saying that I would back the project because I believed in Jeff's ability and vision and his promise that the record would be his interpretation rather than straight covers.

I have followed the project since that point and I am overjoyed that the record is now available to listen to. The recording process has been well-chronicled online and I have no doubt that the investment of time, money and plain hard work from Jeff has been immense. Before you listen to a single note of this record, take a moment to appreciate the effort that Jeff has put in to deliver this result. Wild arrangements, an incredible guest list, lush recordings and brilliant playing all await within. It has been a struggle, a labour of love and dedication, to see this record here now. Those who have followed the process since it's inception will recall moments of disaster like Pledgemusic collapsing along with the ever-encouraging enthusiasm that Jeff had for doing this. It is safe to say that if Jeff hadn't driven the project forward at every step it would surely have collapsed at some hurdle long ago. The endeavour of making your own record these days, as a small artist with big ambitions and a vision for something more than just radio-friendly computer pop, cannot be overstated.

The tracks on 'Jack Songs' lean more towards Bruce's solo work, a smart move you might conclude, because he was the harmonic engine of Cream. Though most people will know him best for being part of Cream, his solo work was more adventurous and musical. Jeff previously did a very entertaining cover of 'Crossroads' on his 'Pump It!' album. His proved there not only his technical ability but also his ability to speak with an authentic blues voice. He doesn't retread the same ground here and there is relatively little 'Cream' content, much in the same way that Jack Bruce did much more on his own than he did with Baker and Clapton. Now, I'd be lying if I said I cared about the blues, I don't. As far as musical styles go it is not for me but I've always enjoyed Jeff's ability to add a little blues flavour or phrasing into a line where it suits without becoming tired. The track listing and arrangements on 'Jack Songs' will illustrate to you that this is not an album of straight blues though it does have some bluesy bits.

Jeff had mentioned in interviews that he had been inspired by a re-imagining of some Beatles work when he was conceptualising 'Jack Songs'. As a result, the songs on this album are not straight covers. They don't go as far as to be 'reimagined' versions but they are deft and dense rearrangements of the original works. In choosing this approach, Jeff has freed himself of the constraints of the originals whilst maintaining a respectful deference to how Jack had written them. As such, I think any fans of Jack's records will be surprised and entertained by how Jeff uses musical quotes and altered arrangements to recontextualise the music on 'Jack Songs'. This is a record of significant musical depth that will require several listens to dissect and appreciate. If value for money is a concern of yours, consider that you will have plenty to listen to here.

The guest list is extensive and whilst some of the appearances are very brief, they do add great flavour and character to the record. The bass relay on 'Smiles Story and Morning Grins' is great fun and I let out an audible laugh when the final whistle goes to call an end to that section. This is really a record where the guests are left to shine, and having the most extensive guest list of any of Jeff's albums, it makes sense that space was left for them to take the limelight when the moment calls for it. If you want to hear some great bass (and keys) playing from Jeff, you'll get it here! But you'll also hear some great performances from the likes of Scott Henderson, Alex Lifeson, Billy Sheehan, Ron Thal, Gary Husband, Geddy Lee and Johnny Hiland and many more. Jeff gets the biggest, punchiest bass tone he has used in years and it absolutely anchors the band throughout.

I don't want to say much more because, having been so long in the making, you may feel the same sense of curiosity as I do about what 'Jack Songs' is about. If you do, I'd urge that you check it out! Ultimately, what may come next may be even more exciting. Jeff recently took delivery of a 24 fret Cort Rithimic bass which he has stated would be used for his next project. He has talked for years now of doing a record of classical pieces and in recent years has studied composition and arrangement. If that really is what he is planning then I'm signing up now. We are lucky in that one of the true luminaries of our instrument is still actively engaged in making great music and playing more. Lets just hope it isn't another eight years in the making this time!"

• Like 3