Why become a member? ×

Boss OC5 - anyone using one?

alexa3020

I recently acquired a TC Nether octave pedal. I like the pedal a lot, it was cheap & the octave is a bit dark/muddy sounding (octave 2 not used)- but it is definitely passable in a live situation.

I know now that I would definitely like an octave pedal permanently on my board and I’m considering upgrading to the boss oc 5 and using it in vintage mode only. Apparently it’s super close to sounding like an Oc2

my concerns are:

it’s digital not analogue (I think) - this probably shouldn’t matter, but for some reason it’s putting me off.

volume - apparently the oc2 had a volume drop. I found the same thing with the EHX multiplexer and although it sounded cool, it was basically unusable without some sort of boost pedal in the chain. I’ve heard the oc5 is loud enough - can anyone confirm?

it’d be great to get any other thoughts on this pedal

thanks

• Like 1

I have an OC-5. I only use it in the vintage setting for the OC-2 sound. In that respect, it absolutely NAILS it (with better tracking). Not really into any of the other sounds you can get out of it, but there are lots of options open and it's very flexible if that's your bag.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for the OC-5 to come back into stock as well. From researching a whole bunch of Octaver pedals, it seems the OC-5 is one of the best for tracking and nails the OC-2 tone. I recently got the EBS Octave pedal as well but I was really disappointed with it. It was really nice tonally but the tracking was terrible so it went back for a refund. I just hope the OC-5 becomes available again soon.

• Like 1

The OC-5 is great, first octaver I've tried were you can genuinly say there is no point in paying more for an OC-2.  It nails the tone and fixes the volume issue with the original.  Top notch quality, the Japanese Boss pedals too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kev said:

The OC-5 is great, first octaver I've tried were you can genuinly say there is no point in paying more for an OC-2.  It nails the tone and fixes the volume issue with the original.  Top notch quality, the Japanese Boss pedals too.

you see this is what will end up making me buy one! I dismissed it when I realised that although I just love octave pedals in general, that the OC-2 is still my favourite, no matter how many I buy! I’ve never owned the OC-3 or OC-5 though so perhaps the latter could be worth a try

Trouble is I’ve ended up in a weird obsessive quest to try every clone of the oc2, I have no idea why!? 

It has more headroom than an OC-2 too.  Last OC-2 I had was distorted by the high output of one of my basses, no such issue with the same bass with the OC-5.  And honestly, any notable sound difference people think they hear,  I struggle to believe,  the YT comparisons you'll find are spot on.  As said, any "difference" is a positive one :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, funkydoug said:

Foxrox OCTRON. Seriously.

UK based one for sale on Reverb just now (not mine!).

I tried them all and sold them all, won’t be selling my Octron…

What was it about the Octron that made you want to spend such a significant amount more than the OC-5 you tried?  I haven't actually tried a Octron, always figured it was just an OC-2 imitation circuit with a higher octave in a big footprint?

I actually paid a similar amount for both to be honest but I definitely preferred the Octron.

At one point I had them both side by side so was able to AB them. Doing so is far from a scientific affair, so I don’t claim to have anything definitive to say other than I very much preferred the Octron.

It was more organic /lively to my humble ears, loads of volume unlike many OC2s, tracking isn’t  a problem, tone is flexible and the upper octave was a big bonus. I expected to not use it at all but I actually really like it. In general it feels full of life and analogue goodness. Call it what you want - bias / snake oil/ placebo or whatever but to me it was my preference.

All that said, the OC5 is an excellent pedal and if you can find one you’ll enjoy it:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, funkydoug said:

I actually paid a similar amount for both to be honest but I definitely preferred the Octron.

At one point I had them both side by side so was able to AB them. Doing so is far from a scientific affair, so I don’t claim to have anything definitive to say other than I very much preferred the Octron.

It was more organic /lively to my humble ears, loads of volume unlike many OC2s, tracking isn’t  a problem, tone is flexible and the upper octave was a big bonus. I expected to not use it at all but I actually really like it. In general it feels full of life and analogue goodness. Call it what you want - bias / snake oil/ placebo or whatever but to me it was my preference.

All that said, the OC5 is an excellent pedal and if you can find one you’ll enjoy it:)

The OC-5 doesn't have the volume issue, tracks as well as any octaver i've used, and also has an octave up? Sure you were comparing it to an OC-5??

But fair enough, it should be better given the price difference new, but from experience with the 3 Leaf octavers, it isn't always the case! :)

• Like 1

Octron has plenty of volume, didn’t say it had more than an OC5 , just that it doesn’t suffer from what OC2 clones suffer from. It is loud, if you want it to be.

Tracking wasn’t an issue for me. Not saying it tracks better than an OC5, just that it tracks in a way that made me forget about this as an issue. It was easy to make it sound excellent and any “how does it track?” worries disappeared upon playing it.

It has an octave up (similar design to OC3, in that it is a fuzz / dirty vibe) but way better to my humble ears.

I’ve had OC3 and OC5 and very much prefer the Octron but you are of course the best judge of what you like dude. Enjoy the fun. 

As for price… to me, a robust analogue device from a small firm is more attractive than a mass produced digital device for various reasons, some more rational than others, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder:)

Edited by funkydoug

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't think I'd ever need another octave pedal after buying the Joyo XVI.

But an OC-5 came up used but mint for a very good price so I gave it a go.

I can't imagine ever wanting another.

I know I said that before, but really it's perfect in every respect.

• Like 2

I've often wondered, and why no one seems to ask, is when using octave down, how the hell does your cab speaker cope with such a low note, on say the open E on a 4 string ?

If that's a dumb question, no fear, i'll have myself arrested

Edited by fleabag

19 hours ago, fleabag said:

I've often wondered, and why no one seems to ask, is when using octave down, how the hell does your cab speaker cope with such a low note, on say the open E on a 4 string ?

If that's a dumb question, no fear, i'll have myself arrested

It's a very good question! The fundamental of the octave below open E is around 20Hz which is not only below pretty much all cabs' stated frequency response ranges but also at the boundary of what we can actually hear. Interestingly the human ear is most sensitive to 2kHz to 5kHz frequencies and explains why guitarists only need a fraction of the wattage in their amps we bass players do.

I think the key point is that what when we hear "a note" it's significantly more the first, second & higher harmonics we are hearing, rather than the fundamental. Applying an octave-down pedal emphasises these first, second & higher harmonics an octave below, but these are still within most cabs' frequency range capacity.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

It also depends how you use the octave pedal, as for me, i'd never consider using it on something as low as an open 'E'. 

I'd like to try and OC-5, but having owned a few OC-2, my keeper track pretty damn well and sounds great, but I use it with dirt, often chorus, at least an octave above an open E. I don't use it to reach notes lower than the bass can produce, more to fatten up notes on the upper register, but others may vary i guess. 

• Like 1