Why become a member? ×

Revelation RPJ-77F Fretless - *SOLD*
£160
Falkirk

Delberthot

Another lockdown purchase. It's never been out of the house and I've maybe spent a couple of hours playing it in total.

What I did do when I got it was to set it up properly, including filing the nut down slightly. I didn't take it too far down in case I went too far but the action is pretty low for me and I'm a fairly heavy player. It's fitted with my usual D'addario EXL165 strings ( I think 🤔) They could possibly be Fender nickels in which case they will be 7150Ms as the green ball end on the G looks more like the Fender seafoam green than the D'addario Green.

Come with Entwistle PBXN & JBXN pickups which are the super hot and gnarly neodymium pickups. They have individually adjustable poles which you don't see that often for maximum adjustability. Think more along the lines of Tony Franklin than Jaco.

The bridge has threaded saddles which look like they could be brass and are a nice touch.

The body is made of Okoume which is a hardwood found in Gabon and Equatorial Guinea which is interesting as I ship goods to both countries and didn't know this untill I googled it today. The fingerboard is lignum-rosa. I have no idea what this is or where it's from but looks much like dark rosewood but feels closer to ebony. The neck is maple - I know what maple is so that's one out of 3 😁

It's an unlined board with dots where the frets would be. The nut width is 42mm but is it incredibly shallow so it's still a really quick neck.

Using the weighing myself on the scales and then holding the bass method the bass is coming in at a decent 8.9lbs or 3.81kgs in today's money.

Alas, after many, many fretless basses I have to admit that  I'm just not a fretless player. Not that I can't play it but I'm more of a clanky frets than mwahy fretless player .

I still have the original boxes that it came in - the bass box plus the outer box that they also come in to offer additional protection so postage isn't going to be an issue. Postage to mainland UK will be £35 with UPS, Parcelforce 48 is £20 and if you're a gambling man (or woman) Hermes' "chuck it across the fence" service is £26.

Collection is also welcome.

I haven't boxed it up yet in case anyone wants more pictures

20220122_121624.jpg

20220122_121652.jpg

20220122_121657.jpg

20220122_121703.jpg

20220122_121710.jpg

20220122_121719.jpg

20220122_121734.jpg

20220122_121739.jpg

20220122_121748.jpg

20220122_121829.jpg

20220122_121836.jpg

Edited by Delberthot
  • Like 4

The pictures really don't do this bass justice. It's really stunning.

Not just a beginners bass but one one you could happily gig professionally. I've had US basses that weren't built as well as this is.

Heard a million times on the forum but if it was fretted it wouldn't be going anywhere .

Plays like buttah etc 😀

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's got PJ itis? Niether fish nor fowl they're not everyone's cup of tea.  Don't get me wrong I love Revs, as I have frequently said on here, just trying to help with a poss explain of why it's a slow mover.  

Could be but that probably explains why it can sound more like Tony Franklin than Jaco.

I did read the PJ thread regarding having a weak J versus P pickup but I don't think that it affects this bass. Both pickups are incredibly powerful and the individual poles can be adjusted so you can get both pickups giving an even amount of bark. In fact I have the P poles all the way in and the J sticking out.

• Like 1

• Delberthot changed the title to Revelation RPJ-77F Fretless SOLD