Why become a member? ×

Replacement cabs for MarkBass NY121

martthebass

My pair of MB NY121s are coming up to 10 years old now. I love em to bits, can’t fault the sound, nice and light and, most importantly, fit perfectly in the back of my 5dr Mini. So, am I being overly cautious in considering replacing them due to age? I always have back ups in terms of bass, amp and other paraphernalia but don’t have space to double up on cabs. 

I have been looking at replacement to pacify my paranoia but I’m struggling to find a double cab solution in 12” that are about the same size so would still fit. 

So in in terms of questions; 

Any suggestions for suitable candidates?

Am I being daft in looking at replacing as they are still performing without problem?

If I just look at getting new NY121s, are the new ones as good as the Italian ones that I currently have?

Speaker design and tech has probably moved forward in some areas quite a bit. I have MB cabs and chopped and changed them for years, 10s 12s and 15s eventually getting the Ninja 2x12 which is 8ohms, the NY 2x12 cab I think is the 4 ohm. I’ve looked at other cabs and now have two Barefaced 12” cabs, very light, take a lot of power and take a bit of getting used to sound wise and like many cabs now, very expensive. MB still seem to have a decent enough price on their cabs so cost may come into it your choice as well. Unfortunately the newer companies are expensive and where can you try them all, in the corner of a shop isn’t the best place, especially if the cab is £600 odd…difficult eh!

ps….I’m told the Barefaced 10” cab are v good too.

Edited by mybass
  • Like 1

On 22/01/2022 at 11:26, martthebass said:

My pair of MB NY121s are coming up to 10 years old now. I love em to bits, can’t fault the sound, nice and light and, most importantly, fit perfectly in the back of my 5dr Mini.

I think you have your answer here.

I've just sold a pair of 25year old Yamaha speakers fitted with Eminence drivers. I've loads of speakers 10-15 years old and a 40 year old Peavey driver that still works fine. MB's Italian drivers are all well made speakers. If you didn't like them then that would be a reason for changing but there is really no reason to change them if you don't.

New technology isn't really an issue either if you aren't looking to change the sound

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 22/01/2022 at 06:56, mybass said:

Speaker design and tech has probably moved forward in some areas quite a bit.

Not all that much in the last 15 years. The last significant tech change was to neo magnets, which allowed improvements in excursion without sacrificing sensitivity, and as a result higher output than previously possible. Most of the major alterations that neo allowed came circa 2004-2008. There have been further refinements since then, but nothing earth shaking or trouser flapping. 

• Like 4

On 22/01/2022 at 11:26, martthebass said:

My pair of MB NY121s are coming up to 10 years old now. I love em to bits, can’t fault the sound, nice and light and, most importantly, fit perfectly in the back of my 5dr Mini. So, am I being overly cautious in considering replacing them due to age? I always have back ups in terms of bass, amp and other paraphernalia but don’t have space to double up on cabs. 

I have been looking at replacement to pacify my paranoia but I’m struggling to find a double cab solution in 12” that are about the same size so would still fit. 

So in in terms of questions; 

Any suggestions for suitable candidates?

Am I being daft in looking at replacing as they are still performing without problem?

If I just look at getting new NY121s, are the new ones as good as the Italian ones that I currently have?

Your Italian cabs may well have B&C drivers in them. These have quality die cast frames as opposed to the pressed steel frames of the later (cheaper) Yellow Line drivers. Assuming you're not over driving your cabs I'd expect them to outlive your amplifier. 

Personally, I'd buy secondhand B&C loaded MB cabs before Yellow Line versions.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Your Italian cabs may well have B&C drivers in them. These have quality die cast frames as opposed to the pressed steel frames of the later (cheaper) Yellow Line drivers. Assuming you're not over driving your cabs I'd expect them to outlive your amplifier. 

I have these in my Epifani UL210. Apparently these are the ones to have. I had no idea why they are held in such high regard!

15 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Cheers Mark, they rarely get pushed above half way on my LM3 or MM500 so they are pretty much babied.  Ok, on the basis of the advice so far it looks as if I'm best keeping £1000+ in my pocket and continue to look after them.

• Like 2