Why become a member? ×

Got My First Gig!

Triumph_Rock

6 minutes ago, Triumph_Rock said:

Rick's still hum in this country 😉 Sold my five string Rick, going to collect my 4 string Rick on Thursday !

Oh yes, they still hum, but in a more manly G than the american B!

I gig with single coils, not generally a problem unless I got too close to the valve amp.

There’s a lot of people with a lot of knowledge and experience on here.

You might be surprised at the level some have played at. 
Arena sell out bands. 
Professional  players with decades of 

gigs behind them. 
Don’t complicate things, just relax and enjoy the ride 😄

Indeed and that is what is great about this forum. I was given the advice to get the noise suppression pedal by a touring musician for the reasons I stated. I doubt I will get any other pedals other that the noise suppression and tuner pedal both will probably be Boss items.  

Having said that my Positive Grid Bias Amp head has noise suppression built in.

Edited by Triumph_Rock

• 2 months later...

So the gig was last Saturday. The band had a session drummer that only got to rehearse once and the vocalist was an old friend of the band, because our vocalist is ill. 

I took spare strings, guitar cleaner and polish, cloth, tuner, my amp head and cab, and spare picks. Just in case I didn't like the venue's.

Mistakes where made by everyone in the band, and even though I know my bass parts really well I rely on the drummer and lyrics quite a lot..I got quite nervous as it was my first gig. I did kind of enjoy it. 

• Like 3

Well done - playing with people you've only just met can be a bit nerve wracking even when you're experienced. The important thing is that you enjoyed yourself. Mistakes happen and most audiences don't even notice them so don't be hard on yourself or the band. Just learn from them and look forward to the next gig.... 

• Like 1

Every gig I do is with different people 😃 but that's Jazz for you. I remember my first gig. We were playing to an empty room, we started the first tune, the roadie was screaming at me 'you are out of tune', the barman was screaming at us 'it's too loud' and the guitarist said 'f*** this' and stopped the gig about 2 minutes in. I was devastated. Fortunately, the second gig was only two days later and went very well. I envy you having all the excitement of a career of gigging in front of you. There are lots of musicians who don't gig; I just don't get it. 'The gig' is the whole point of the thing for me. Welcome on board, TR.

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses guys. It was a 12 hour charity event, 1 band played per hour for 40 minutes. So the pub was full of musicians and was packed with the general public .  I got good feedback. Hopefully my next gig isn't to far away. 

@Bilbo ha the old joke about Jazz musicians is everybody is so busy doing there own thing that there in the wrong key 😁. I do agree, I've often though isn't the whole point " the gig ". I do find it relaxing playing at home. Come up with a bass line that was very Danzig in sound!