Why become a member? ×

meatloaf has joined the choir in the sky.

nikon F

I wondered why he was on the radio a lot today.

I was never a massive fan of his music but will happily enjoy listening to it. 

Watched a documentary a couple of years ago and he was very down to earth and humble, especially with his fans after shows.

No rockstar pretensions, even though he absolutely was a rockstar. 

RIP ... actually sod that, make some bloody noise wherever you might be Mr. Loaf. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 3

When I was younger and still read album notes, Kasim Sultan was a name I always remembered from the Meatloaf albums because the bass was so good and I had (still have) no idea who he is but he's been a massive influence. There are so many really good rock basslines on Meatloaf songs.

(And I really hope I have remembered the name right or I'll look stupid).

But just Paradise by the dashboard light is a legendary bassline before you look at any others.

Edited by mr_gordon
Typo

Sad to see him go, Bat Out of Hell came out at around the time that I started riding bikes and partying with the outlaw club that I prospected for invariably included BOOH being played. Saw him at the NEC and he was excellent. A colossal amount of energy for a man of his size.

12 hours ago, mr_gordon said:

When I was younger and still read album notes, Kasim Sultan was a name I always remembered from the Meatloaf albums because the bass was so good and I had (still have) no idea who he is but he's been a massive influence. There are so many really good rock basslines on Meatloaf songs.

(And I really hope I have remembered the name right or I'll look stupid).

But just Paradise by the dashboard light is a legendary bassline before you look at any others.

Kas is a superb Musician. As well as being an excellent bassist he's also a really good guitarist, keyboard player, singer & songwriter.

He's been mainly associated with Todd Rundgren since the mid 70s when he joined Utopia (which is how he ended up playing on "Bat Out of Hell"). He still plays in Todd's touring band.

He's also played with Joan Jett & Hall & Oates among many others.

4 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Mr Loaf was an outspoken anti-vaxxer, anti-masker and admitted he'd knowingly hugged people with covid. Not surprised he got the disease. He also made some very unkind and un-called for comments about Greta Thunberg.

Alternatively he was opposed to vaccine mandates but not an anti-vaxxer, and found masks that weren't N95 ineffective and a nuisance rather than a protection (which ignores the fact that they're to protect others). There's rather more nuance to this than some would have you believe. Remarkably, the Torygraph seems the paper that most appreciates nuance: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/21/meat-loaf-railed-against-covid-rules-nuisance-face-masks-death/ which should be read properly.

7 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Precisely why anti-vaxers are so dangerous. It's rife here in Bulgaria, with only around 25% of the population vaccinated and a deeply engrained mistrust of the government (hardly surprising given the countrie's history.) Sadly, I've already lost two close friends / neighbors because they chose to listen to these nut jobs. It's easy to say, well they made their choice, or they get what they deserve, but it's actually really sad that people are needlessly losing their lives due to the spread of misinformation and a few people wanting their five minutes of fame. 

• Like 1