Why become a member? ×

1x10 / 1x10 /1x10

nikon F

20 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

When you have one driver that can only take 50 watts before reaching its mechanical limit and another that can take 500 watts before reaching its mechanical limit you don't need a scientific background to see that it's a bad pairing. It's not about being correct, it's about being logical.

Bill, are you saying that the bf 110 has a mechanical limit of 500 Watts and the te 110 has a mechanical limit of 50 Watts or are these numbers just examples of extreme variation of speakers to illustrate a point?

They're just examples of how far apart drivers can be in their mechanical capability, which is defined by xmax. By no means are these differences rare. One of the most ubiquitous drivers is the Eminence Beta 10, and OEM versions of it. Orange uses it in their OBC 410. It reaches xmax at 40w at 80Hz, where the output demand for electric bass is at its highest.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BassmanPaul said:

Can you not purchase these cabinets directly from Barefaced?

You can.

They have very good rates on their worldwide shipping. You won't pay a penny of VAT to the UK.

Andertons in UK undercut BF in UK effectively by doing free shipping! I guess BF don't mind as it saves them shagging around shipping single cabs.

5 hours ago, Tdw said:

Thanks, I thought that might be the case. I don't suppose you've any idea about x max for the barefaced and the te 10 inch drivers?

The BF ten has 250cc of displacement, indicating around 7.5mm xmax, which is very respectable. I don't see it handling less than 225w. The TE driver is an unknown commodity. It supposedly uses an Eminence Neo Ten, but they make at least four different varieties, and that doesn't count OEM variants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The BF ten has 250cc of displacement, indicating around 7.5mm xmax, which is very respectable. I don't see it handling less than 225w. The TE driver is an unknown commodity. It supposedly uses an Eminence Neo Ten, but they make at least four different varieties, and that doesn't count OEM variants.

That's interesting , surprising to hear that speakers of the same nominal size can handle such differing wattage. 40 for the orange 10s  to 225 for the bf, that's a huge difference.

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

He is a member on here - Alex claber? 

Yeah,  @alexclaberAlex is very helpful and knowledgeable, he helped me out massively when I was looking for the right barefaced cabs for me , I emailed him direct at Barefaced , [email protected]

Edited by Reggaebass
Added email if it helps

On 23/01/2022 at 01:23, Tdw said:

That's interesting , surprising to hear that speakers of the same nominal size can handle such differing wattage. 40 for the orange 10s  to 225 for the bf, that's a huge difference.

It's easy to become confused when trying to compare speaker power handling - and the manufacturers don't do much to help.

Allow me to clarify. The Eminence Eminence Beta 10 that Bill says is used in the Orange cab is rated by Eminence at 250W. That's the thermal power handling of the coil. Barefaced also rates their 10" driver at 250W. So there's no difference there.

The 40W Bill mentions is the calculated power handling of the driver in a cabinet based on its xmax. The published xmax of the Beta 10 is 3mm. If we accept the Barefaced 7.5mm figure, the equivalent power handling of the Barefaced driver would be 100W. 

I'd be very wary of treating xmax as a reliable yardstick unless you have more detailed information than just a single figure. A bit like car fuel consumption. 

• Like 1