Why become a member? ×

Industrial Radio MIDIbass PJ saga

Quatschmacher

TL:DR 3.5 year wait with no bass. Got a refund after much hassle. 

I ordered one of these in December 2019 and am still waiting for it. Apparently all my parts are there but I’m now third in line. IR are very slow with builds; website says 12 months but I know of a guy who recently got his and had waited 3 years and 8 months for his after paying in full! With scant communication it’s a real nail-biter. The irony is that I’ve spent the years I’ve been waiting improving my keyboard skills, so by the time it arrives, I probably won’t need it any more. 😆

Anyway, it should look a bit like this when done (this is the actual body I chose):

54D54A45-A50A-405D-BD3F-66F38E934BE4.thumb.jpeg.34a50a6c27dab68f800af6aec5431443.jpeg560692D0-A12C-4E0B-9693-F8BACCF46F54.thumb.png.7861578f820f6ba80485181c0ad4f841.png

Their website is here:

https://industrialradio.com.au

Edited by Quatschmacher

• 9 months later...
11 hours ago, fleabag said:

Well how many bassers out there want Midi bass ?  Thats pretty niche.

3 or 4 years for a build is rediculous unless they have an enormous order book.  Even Wal dont quote that long, do they ?

It's probably more people than you would imagine. I've been interested in being able to control synthesisers from guitars and basses for the past 45 years, but for my playing technique the technology still isn't quite there. In the mean time I've built up almost enough keyboard technique to render the quest redundant.

I would imagine that due to the nature of the instrument and it's accompanying interface, they have been affected by the current world-wide chip shortage. However if they are not prepared to communicate this to customers or potential customers, then that's not good business practice IMO.

On 12/11/2022 at 00:12, fleabag said:

Well how many bassers out there want Midi bass ?  Thats pretty niche.

3 or 4 years for a build is rediculous unless they have an enormous order book.  Even Wal dont quote that long, do they ?

Well, I'd like a zero-latency MIDI bass, but not enough to wait that long or pay that much. But if there's a couple of thousand bassists worldwide who don't mind waiting that long or paying that much, and they're a small enough operation to only turn out one or two basses a day, you'll get a long queue. What's the wait for a Jaydee at the moment?

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

Well, I'd like a zero-latency MIDI bass, but not enough to wait that long or pay that much. But if there's a couple of thousand bassists worldwide who don't mind waiting that long or paying that much, and they're a small enough operation to only turn out one or two basses a day, you'll get a long queue.

I don’t think they have even managed one or two basses per year!

• 4 weeks later...

More empty promises, increasingly incredible excuses and lack of communication from IR. After over a year and a half of no answers to emails, I was told on 8th November that my bass would “be ready in four weeks”. Have I been contacted? Of course I haven’t.

I certainly don’t want to kick people while they are down, if that’s genuinely the case but after nearly three years of excuses coupled with radio silence (even pre-Covid) my patience has worn thin. I’m ready to call BS on this whole operation and demand my money back, if I don’t get hard evidence that this supposed bass of mine even exists.

I cannot in good conscience recommend that anyone else place an order until this farce of a situation has been sorted out. Wouldn’t want anyone else to get burned.

They are quoting 8-month build times to prospective new customers while nothing appears to be getting done on outstanding orders. 

I don’t want to be a d**k about this, but communication is everything if you’re going to run a business and in this instance it is incredibly lacking.

316EF21C-8440-4D99-A787-4B18E27F9C54.thumb.png.bd4add6dc474e5138d128502c8a774f2.png316EF21C-8440-4D99-A787-4B18E27F9C54.thumb.png.bd4add6dc474e5138d128502c8a774f2.png

Edited by Quatschmacher

On June 23rd 2022, there was an unnamed 23 year old male attacked on a street in Melbourne by a gang with machetes, Industrial Radio are based in Melbourne I believe, so the story is possible.

Either way, if I was in your situation I'd have called time on this month's ago. 

I had a very similar situation with Letts Basses, I had to issue a Letter Before Action for them to actually respond and agree a resolution before being taken to court. 

It's a sorry situation when a business just doesn't respond for months and months, it's entirely unacceptable, emails take seconds to send. 

Call time, get your money back and treat yourself to something else! 

Edited by binky_bass

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

On June 23rd 2022, there was an unnamed 23 year old male attacked on a street in Melbourne by a gang with machetes, Industrial Radio are based in Melbourne I believe, so the story is possible.

Either way, if I was in your situation I'd have called time on this month's ago. 

I had a very similar situation with Letts Basses, I had to issue a Letter Before Action for them to actually respond and agree a resolution before being taken to court. 

It's a sorry situation when a business just doesn't respond for months and months, it's entirely unacceptable, emails take seconds to send. 

Call time, get your money back and treat yourself to something else! 

Yes, I googled that too. Pretty sure it’s bôllocks though as IR are in Sydney. (Though it seems machete attacks aren’t uncommon in Oz). James is far older than 23 too!

Also, he purportedly left the company in 2020 so there’s no direct effect on the work not getting done by him. 

Having dealt with some pretty slick scammers before, I know how people add credible details to their stories to fool people. Not saying that’s definitely what’s going on here but there have been a few red flags cropping up.

They have delivered a couple of instruments over the last 18 months but it cannot take that long, especially when they are mostly assembled from pre-built parts. I cannot imagine their order book is huge as it’s a pretty esoteric instrument. I suspect they have severe cash flow issues and are using funds from new orders to fulfil older ones all the way or something similar. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

11 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Yup, some people will churn up just about any story to string you along (*cough* John Letts *cough*).

Are you going to hold out or get your money back? Nit sure how easy that'd be if they decided to play hardball given they're in Australia.

Don’t know what approach to take. I paid $1500 deposit via bank transfer so probably am on the back foot. 

Talk to your bank, with the evidence you've got they might consider it a sort of fraud and refund you. 

Maybe call IR first, see if you can get through to them over the phone and ask politely for a refund with the reason being the time elapsed since the order was placed has far exceeded what was advised and that you've understandably had to purchase a suitable bass elsewhere.

Not sure you'd get much luck from any suggestion of court action given their location.

You are a patient man - I have such a short attention span I could never cope with that. The 12 week wait for my Maruszczyk was about as long as I could wait.

I think I might turn a guitar into a midi instrument, with one of those built in kits, I prefer playing the bass but the latency isn't anywhere near as much of an issue on the guitar.

• Quatschmacher changed the title to Industrial Radio MIDIbass PJ saga