Why become a member? ×

Shuker P bass

Quatschmacher

Finalised the specs (aside from the exact shade of blue of the body) of my Shuker P bass on Tuesday; here they are:

34" scale

20 frets

38.5mm nut width

19mm string spacing

21.5mm neck depth at 1st fret

23.5mm at 12th

shallow C carve

Mastergrade roasted flame maple neck

rosewood fretboard

Rolled fingerboard edges

9.5" radius board

2 way truss rod

carbon fibre reinforcement

medium jumbo stainless steel fretwire

bone nut

2mm cream side dots

6mm cream face dots

satin finish on the neck

Schaller BM clover leaf tuners chrome

Hipshot triple string tree chrome.

traditional P shape

alder

usual contours

reduced heel with recessed fixings (no plate)

polyester basecoat

Blue - exact shade to be decided (Pantone 15-4333 TSX / 16-4529 TCX / 16-4529 TPG / 16-4535 TCX were close)

Mint/Black/Mint 3-ply pick guard (traditional P shape)

ABM 3704c19 bridge

Fralin (stock) pickup

vol / tone (chrome, with small, discreet dot marker if possible)

shuker/hiscox hardcase

String with either Labella 760FM (49-109) or D'Addario ECB82 Medium Chromes (50-105).

Already picked out the neck woods last year:

BD13D8AC-698C-4ABD-A863-02EC46A63AF2.jpeg.eff5ceb5d04d5c971835beb55c81e554.jpeg
I chose the one on the left.

Jon has already begun work on it. I’ll post pictures as I get them. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

I've just ordered a JJB Pbass Lite from Jon.  It'll be the classic black, with a neck sort of nearer a J than a P at 40mm.  I'm going to start a new thread when I get the first pictures but, in the meantime, I'm enjoying your early posts!  Can't wait to see more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, petecarlton said:

I've just ordered a JJB Pbass Lite from Jon.  It'll be the classic black, with a neck sort of nearer a J than a P at 40mm.  I'm going to start a new thread when I get the first pictures but, in the meantime, I'm enjoying your early posts!  Can't wait to see more.

Should be getting some pics of the body in the next couple of days, which I’ll post. 40mm sounds like a good compromise. I am wondering if I should’ve gone a bit wider. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

That's a beautiful piece of wood - well chosen!  If I were you, I'd be getting very excited by the way this has started.

I am. It looks even better in person, the flaming is like one of those 3D holograms when you move it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, holty said:

The grain pattern on that fretboard is fantastic. Very well chosen.  How much choice with different wood options does Jon give you with builds?

You can pick from whatever he has in the wood store at the time (prices vary depending on the grade of the wood). Basically he’ll pretty much build whatever you want. Check out his website for some of the past builds. There are some amazing fretboard woods. I was hoping he had a slice of this one left when I finalised mine but sadly not:

23189F44-E513-4D76-8899-B9F257F07B9A.thumb.jpeg.3abaa3351469cba99ca66f50e75b970d.jpeg

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, petecarlton said:

That is such great craftsmanship and the grain is gorgeous.

It is indeed. Getting covered in paint though. Slightly regretting not getting it done clear but had it been intended to be plain then I would’ve chosen a specific slab; I left this particular choice to Jon.

13 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Lovely grain pattern in that body. Could you stick with the original colour but in a translucent finish which allows the grain to show a bit?

Probably could. I actually prefer a wider grain though. Also, there’s a lot going on grain-wise in the neck so it might be overkill to have it showing in the body too. 

Thinking of getting a Jazz built by Jon though and that would be a natural finish. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went over on Wednesday to take another colour sample for the paint mixing as I’d changed my mind on the exact colour. Now got tuner holes in the neck too. Should get to check out the mixed paint in the next couple of weeks and then it’ll be sprayed.

Looks like Fralin is experiencing long delays on getting pickups made and sent so Jon will source them elsewhere (BD).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

The Nordstrand Jon put in mine is great if you are having to consider alternatives.

He says he can get the pickup from Bass Direct as they have it in stock, so should be OK. I’m getting Nordstrand PJs in my MIDIbass though. 

• Like 2

On 06/08/2022 at 10:39, Quatschmacher said:

Looks like Fralin is experiencing long delays on getting pickups made and sent so Jon will source them elsewhere (BD).

Did he not suggest a set of Oz's custom pickups [like the ones he uses in the JJB sig]? I would have thought Oz would wind them to your spec/requirements.

(And if you've been to the workshop, you'll know that supply/delivery wouldn't be a problem :D  )

Edited by simisker
  • Like 1