Why become a member? ×

Multiscale: A great development or a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

SumOne

Multiscale: A great innovation or a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Multiscale: A great innovation or a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

• Yes: Multiscale is great, get with the times and stop using 60 year old technology.
    • No: Multiscale is a marketing tool that solves a problem that doesn't exist so you'll buy new Basses.

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I chose yes, because I like multiscales, although I don't have a problem with normal frets. In fact I don't have a problem until someone takes the frets away (then I have real problems).

However, not because the B is better as I never bought that much into the scale improving it, just because I find it more comfortable on my wrist.

I love the multiscale EHB I have, would also like the short scale version, hated the combustion (although to be fair, the neck was really nice, it was just the sound that was terrible). Wouldn't mind trying one of the spectors.

I had the same response with the NG3 I briefly owned (basically the same as a Combustion). It felt nice to play, if a bit generic, but the neodymium pickups and preamp didn’t do it for me at all. Very twangy and a bit rough, and no way of dialling it down (active or passive). IMHO 50% more for a Canadian ABZ is (if you want a Dingwall) a no-brainer.

11 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

I had the same response with the NG3 I briefly owned (basically the same as a Combustion). It felt nice to play, if a bit generic, but the neodymium pickups and preamp didn’t do it for me at all. Very twangy and a bit rough, and no way of dialling it down (active or passive). IMHO 50% more for a Canadian ABZ is (if you want a Dingwall) a no-brainer.

That was I assumed but it was so bad I wouldn't buy one unseen, I would have to try it and love it first!

I am on a quest for one bass to rule them all. It has been a long quest. On this quest I bought a Sklar Dingwall. There were lots of great things about, amongst which was a neck profile which REALLY did it for me. But I discovered that I like to do side to side vibrato. I knew that I do it, but had not realised how much. The roundwounds moving across the frets was a total sensory non starter for me. Very odd. 

6 minutes ago, Owen said:

I am on a quest for one bass to rule them all. It has been a long quest. On this quest I bought a Sklar Dingwall. There were lots of great things about, amongst which was a neck profile which REALLY did it for me. But I discovered that I like to do side to side vibrato. I knew that I do it, but had not realised how much. The roundwounds moving across the frets was a total sensory non starter for me. Very odd. 

One bass to rule them all... ACG. 

I've been through almost all major bass manufacturers and boutique bass builders and ACG are the ones that just do everything. So much so I have 6 of them! 

Horses for courses of course, but dang they be good slices of bass pie!

I've switched between regular and multi scale instruments enough over the years to answer closer to No.  There are too many variables beyond the scale length that determine how a bass plays and balances between strings.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

One bass to rule them all... ACG......... So much so I have 6 of them! 

There is a weakness in your argument here, but your enthusiasm cannot be faulted. Do you work for the present UK government?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Owen said:

There is a weakness in your argument here, but your enthusiasm cannot be faulted. Do you work for the present UK government?

Yes. The cat's out of the bag... it is I...

BOJO!!!

And I shall smite you all!!!

(Also, I'd argue YOU'RE the government representative, editing my post to best suit your agenda!) 😂

Edited by binky_bass

10 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Yes. The cat's out of the bag... it is I...

BOJO!!!

And I shall smite you all!!!

(Also, I'd argue YOUR the government representative, editing my post to best suit your agenda!) 😂

See this is another reason your back benchers don’t like you - “you’re” 

Edited by LukeFRC

I've not been able to try a multiscale bass yet, as I've yet to come across a lefty model. I know Ibanez makes the EHB1505MS lefty, and Dingwall has the NG and the Combustion. I'm really not inclined to pay what Dingwall asks for a Chinese-made bass though. It would be the most I've ever spent on ANY instrument, and that includes (used) handmade custom basses, a brand new USA-made Rickenbacker and two (used) Status S2 Classics. The Ibanez is a more sensible option, but I'm keeping my eyes open for a used one :)

I can see the advantages of fanned frets, and every demo I've ever seen of a Dingwall sounded great. I'd love to try one. 

On 20/01/2022 at 18:43, MichaelDean said:

I didn't answer the poll - I don't like either of the options. I wouldn't say that it's an essential design concept for a bass, but I really like my Dingwall. I also really like my Mustang. I'm more luke warm water...

Man, I know you posted that waiting for someone to post this clip. Ok, let me be that guy 😉

• Thanks 1

The B string is definitely an improvement if you're not using well balanced strings on parallel frets. I've realised now that I'm not keen on using scales above 34 inch for comfort reasons. Other than an improvement to the B string without lots of tweaking necessary on parallels, I  don't see them as having any real advantage and are therefore best staying a niche product.

Edited by TheLowDown

18 hours ago, Owen said:

But I discovered that I like to do side to side vibrato. I knew that I do it, but had not realised how much. The roundwounds moving across the frets was a total sensory non starter for me. Very odd. 

Ooh, I hadn’t thought of that. So bending notes doesn’t really work either then?

35 minutes ago, nekomatic said:

Ooh, I hadn’t thought of that. So bending notes doesn’t really work either then?

Bending notes totally works. Just for me, feeling the winds move over the fret was a strange feeling. But that was just my left hand's experience.