Why become a member? ×

Multiscale: A great development or a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

SumOne

Multiscale: A great innovation or a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Multiscale: A great innovation or a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

• Yes: Multiscale is great, get with the times and stop using 60 year old technology.
    • No: Multiscale is a marketing tool that solves a problem that doesn't exist so you'll buy new Basses.

I like the idea of multiscales, especially for a 5 string: Lower strings (especially the B) tend to sound and feel more even if they are longer than the higher strings, so in theory they solve that issue.

But on the other hand it seems plenty of 34" scale 5 strings have good B strings if using the correct string guage and have a good setup and the Bass is made well, likewise for other scale lengths. So perhaps that's a better solution rather than going multiscale.

Is multiscale a great development in Bass design and playability or a marketing solution to a problem that doesn't exist to sell more new Basses?

• Like 1

Just now, neepheid said:

Or: it's a collusion between bass manufacturers and opticians/glasses manufacturers to drive up the sale of spectacles.

Can't see it myself....

/I'll get my coat 😀🤣😂 (and glasses!!!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

I voted "No" purely based on my own experience.
I've tried a few multi scale basses now, and I've found the low B to be no better than a well made regular bass, I expect if you analysed the differences you'd see something, but for the most part, I was left feeling a bit meh.

I've also found the lower range of the bass tends to overpower the upper.

To quote a bass player I spoke with on the subject, who shall not be named, "my 6 string Dingwall was the best 3 string bass I've ever had".

EDIT, I forgot to add, I was impressed with how little adjustment was required to get used to it however. I've heard that a lot and didn't believe it till I tried one. Still not for me though...

Edited by eude
  • Like 6

I chose yes (though there's nothing wrong with 60-year old tech).  Because in principle it works well.  However:

• I've never played a multiscale that I liked the feel of.
  • I've never played a multiscale that sounded good.

But, I've not played every multiscale out there!  Owned a couple of Ibanez models, a Strandberg prog, and had a Dingwall NTG for an extended loan.  All of them played like turkey, or had poor ergonomics (neck dive, etc) and really none sounded that great.  The Dingwall was probably best, but I swear the neck was fatter than a baseball bat (not my preference).

Edited by falling_in2_infinity
  • Like 1

I've never played a fan-fret instrument, bass or guitar and don't believe the question is able to warrant a simple yes or no answer.  Newer builders/manufacturers are more inclined to experiment whereas Gibson/Fender rest to their laurels too much; I see the current crop of fanfret Spectors displaying an element of bandwagoning and profiteering.  It doesn't matter what makers bring out, for all the naysayers, there'll always be someone who believes that this new innovation is somehow the greatest invention since sliced bread.

Given the choice for multiscale instrumentation, I find the Novax Charlie Hunter to be a far more interesting/intriguing proposition to fan-fret basses being the answer to string tension/whatever.  These things look truly wonderous and remember, Novax were making these years ago:

CH8-swaash-ambsat-750.jpg

The Hybrid Guitars Model 8 is a newer version of the above:

U8DarkBrown-1.jpg?format=750w

Edited by NancyJohnson
For a lot of reasons.
  • Like 2

Multiscale is not a recent idea. The Bandora was a multiscale Cittern type instrument from the late 16th century.

I briefly picked a Dingwall up at Bass Direct and found it easy to play. I wouldn't rule out owning one in the future.

Lee Sklar has used Dingwalls for years and makes them sound very good.

• Like 2

It’s like adding a satnav as standard to a car, will the old vehicle  get you there, yes it will, but the satnav does make it a little easier.

I don’t think it’s the breakthrough of the era, but it’s a good enough improvement to warrant its place in the bigger picture. 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 1

I don’t have any multi-scale instruments but I think it’s a great idea.   Those that I’ve tried required almost no adjustment on my part and felt really natural to play. 

I’m not so sure I see it as a solution to a problem, per se, as much as I see it as just another approach to design. 

• Like 2

I didn't answer the poll - I don't like either of the options. I wouldn't say that it's an essential design concept for a bass, but I really like my Dingwall. I also really like my Mustang. I'm more luke warm water...

What I feel people don't go on about as much with a multiscale bass is the E string. Everyone goes on and on about the B, but the 36.25" E on my Combustion sounds more authoritative to me than a 34" E. Probably not different enough for audience to notice mind you! I also feel like it's a much more refined sound than my Mustang has to offer.  Plus even tension across the strings is nice. 

I'm mainly enjoying multiscale basses being more mainstream so there are more string options!

• Like 3

I'm in two minds. I've had a Dingwall Combustion and an Ibanez SRMS805 and neither quite did it for me, partly because plucking through the strings vertically you end up getting relatively closer to the bridge on the higher strings and it's quite annoying to adjust playing style for that.

But any normal scale Bass I've had has felt like the B is a bit 'separate' feeling/sounding to the other strings so I'm keen to get a Bass that solves that. Perhaps a higher-end and better setup normal scale bass will do it, or perhaps another try of multiscale. 

Edited by SumOne

Canadian Dingwalls have the best B string I've played by a long way, and the most consistent feel across all the strings. The issue with other basses is with a long scale length for all the strings. I've played 2 different Fodera Anthony Jackson Presentation basses over the years (now well over £20K!) and the G and C sounded really thin and tight, being stretched to 36". Same applies with Overwater Progress (it was also 36").

I've also played quite a few shorter scale basses with a low B (including ACG, Shuker and Fodera) and in every case the B string was clear enough for the first few frets but quickly lost real definition. Dingwall often sound very ordinary at first because hearing a properly consistent, even range of strings sounds wrong as both our ears and hands are attuned to hearing something different. I nearly returned the ABZ I bought last year for that very reason, but I stuck with it and I'm very glad I did. It's passive with series/parallel toggles and it is so versatile and organic sounding. The only downside is that palm muting is virtually impossible due to the angle of the bridge.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

The only downside is that palm muting is virtually impossible due to the angle of the bridge.

This is literally the only complaint I have about my Dingwall. I’ve gotten around it by using my left hand to get a palm muted sound.

Personally I’ve never noticed or cared about any sonic benefits to multiscale basses, but I do find them very very easy to play. The ergonomics of my Super PJ5 make it feel like a much shorter scale than it actually is. It’s a great design.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a Canadian Dingwall, and tho it's not a 5 or 6, it's got the best E of anything I've ever played. I do, however like a higher tension string, so this might play into my preferences. Doesn't do any harm that it's also one of the most 'alive' (resonant and responsive) basses I've ever played, too. The multiscale thing in terms of playing isn't an issue; I've taken it to gigs and switched basses with a standard 34" 4 and not noticed any adaption in playing technique.

I've not voted because the choices are too stark; I have both types of basses, normal and multiscale...

Definitely an innovation and I can definitely see the potential benefits. 

However, just by looking at them I don't think I would enjoy them. I quite like doing higher register chords and the pronounced angle of the frets in the upper registers of the fretboard make me think that this would actually be more difficult on a multiscale bass than a 'normal' bass. Though I have yet to try one in person and would be keen to hear that B string sound that is talked about so much. I might/probably would change my opinion if I actually try one though

I generally use balanced(ish) tension strings which I find counteracts that the unbalanced string tension on standard sets of strings on a standard bass. I don't generally feel that my B string is lacking. However the thought of using a multiscale bass to tune even further down to an F# is appealing, though not something I think I really need!

I also had an Combustion NG3, it was something i'd lusted after for a few years, and it was not a disappointment when I got it. However overtime I found myself just preferring 'normal' basses as most of the music I played didn't need a B string at all, and whilst they are as ergonomic as such a long scale can be, it wasn't as comfortable as a 34/35". In the end, I just didn't need such an expensive bass collecting dust and sold it.

I think there's a market gap for a mid-range fanned fret that isn't a 'metal' bass (e.g. Ibanez, ESP etc). Gear4Music has the Coliseum 5/6 which is the cheapest going, but poorly ergonomically designed instruments, despite sounding good.

I chose yes, because I like multiscales, although I don't have a problem with normal frets. In fact I don't have a problem until someone takes the frets away (then I have real problems).

However, not because the B is better as I never bought that much into the scale improving it, just because I find it more comfortable on my wrist.

I love the multiscale EHB I have, would also like the short scale version, hated the combustion (although to be fair, the neck was really nice, it was just the sound that was terrible). Wouldn't mind trying one of the spectors.