Why become a member? ×

New '51 p bass and Jaguar build

Jimothey

Finally the workshop is up and running so I can resume building this is the first of 4 basses that is in the pipeline (the others are the P-Rick, 5 string fenderbird and I'm remaking the body on my jaguar bass also I'm doing 2 guitars a Jagcaster and a firecaster! I'm making up for lost time!! ) 

The body blank is gluing up at the mo so not much to report as yet but its going to be in the style of a '51 p bass but very rustic looking 

The body is going to be made out if an old floor joist that has just been ripped out of a local church hall thats being renovated 

The neck is an old black neck I had kicking about from another build the headstock is going to be reshaped into a tele bass style........ 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 8

I got the body all cut out and routed today 

_20220121_125628.thumb.JPG.8b2fee6b1409781360a4bc187be1e5b8.JPG

Then I thought I'd give Shou Sugi Ban a go!?! I'm not a 100% happy with it but I think it looks ok for a first attempt? But heres a quick mockup....... 👍🏻 

_20220121_125456.thumb.JPG.7b38e810cf0ee7a66c3afc77a6545924.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Well this build is almost finished just got to do the electrics and set it up! 

_20220204_125755.thumb.JPG.2d3b66c4f18b348624ad0ad4d31cbd65.JPG

I sanded it back a bit so it wasn't as dark, the burning process has left it with some nice texture........

_20220204_125923.thumb.JPG.2d875d6998606213ee8f6b134e4fd527.JPG

And finished it in a few coats of satin poly, I'm quite happy with hoe its turned out......... 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 5

• Jimothey changed the title to New '51 p bass and Jaguar build

I've started remaking the body for my Jag Bass its being made out of the same floor joist as the 51 p build 

Its going to be a Mark Hoppus style again with a 1 piece pickguard with split coil pickup

The body has been glued up and cut out I'll take some pics when I go back out to the workshop........👍🏻 

• Like 1

I didn't like the pickguard light wood so I've darken it down a bit and sanded the top back a bit............ 

Just soldering and a set up to do then on to the next...........  (its a firecaster guitar 🤫

_20220208_133052.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 3

I keep on looking at it and I just don't think it looks right! So I think I'm going to sand the body back to natural and polyurethane it instead thats for definite! but I'm now thinking maybe make it an all black neck?

Thats a job for tomorrow so I think I'll sleep on it! But can I have peoples opinions please........ 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey

49 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I see what you mean, it's "nearly but not quite..."

Maybe if the body was as-is, but the neck was the colour of the lighter wood on the body and slightly reliced. That would maybe tie it together better?

I think trying to sand off the finish of the neck will be an absolute ball ache because thats a factory finish! So I think if anything the fretboard will have to go black or a lot darker but I am partial to a black neck tho! I'm thinking of trying to make it more like this...... 

_20210706_135314.thumb.JPG.f23fb513e4f2b8d95c2ea05a55910137.JPG

I just don't like the way the body has turned out so I'm definitely going to sand it back to bare and rethink the finish....... 👍🏻 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

I think this looks better?

_20220209_132217.thumb.JPG.5d4119b38abc45de42b70ec089cea4cf.JPG

I'm going to darken the top down so it kinda halfway between what it is now and the pickguard colour as I think its a little bit too light? 👍🏻 

Oh yeah and I've made and mocked up my firecaster build I would put it on guitarchat but there never seems to be anyone on there!!

_20220209_132643.thumb.JPG.4d0a06fa640d80f114df6e86535163e6.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I love the look of jaguar basses :)

I'm pleased your workshop's done. Lots more goodness to come, I'm sure.  ;)

So do I! I'm thinking of doing one with MM pickup aswell but I really need to start selling them and not keeping everyone I make........ 🥺

Hopefully now I've goty bandsaw, thicknesser etc it should make my life a bit easier...... 👍🏻 

• 2 weeks later...