Why become a member? ×

Rick Beato - Livin on a Prayer analysis

JJTee

Great to hear his analysis and praise of the session bassist. 

I like Rick, he has the enthusiasm of an amateur Youtuber type but then he deconstructs the music very technically (but in a way even I can understand) and replays it perfectly on any instrument.

• Like 2

Great he singled out the bassline as a fantastic hook. I’m going to stick my neck out here and say it was played noticeably less than perfect but we know that’s not necessarily what music is about. What got me was the backing vocals, crazy good especially after the key change. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

Great he singled out the bassline as a fantastic hook. I’m going to stick my neck out here and say it was played noticeably less than perfect but we know that’s not necessarily what music is about. What got me was the backing vocals, crazy good especially after the key change. 

I let out a quiet, internal “whoop” when he got to the bit about the bass in the chorus being the star part (along with the vocal harmonies). It’d always caught my ear and it’s such a simple but effective line that gives loads of character to the tune - it could have been so much more mundane.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JJTee said:

I let out a quiet, internal “whoop” when he got to the bit about the bass in the chorus being the star part (along with the vocal harmonies). It’d always caught my ear and it’s such a simple but effective line that gives loads of character to the tune - it could have been so much more mundane.

When the guitarist quotes the bassline for the solo you know you’re onto something!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cetera said:

Yep, a classic bassline that I heartily enjoy playing. So good that it was copied in Belinda Carlisle's 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth'....

I was telling the guys in my 80’s band this very fact recently as it’s been suggested as one of our new tunes to learn/play.

• Like 1