Why become a member? ×

Are You Thinking About Articulation?

greghagger

If you want to groove on your bass, lock in with your fellow band mates and cut through the mix then you need to be thinking about how you're articulating on your bass.

This involves thinking about note lengths and how you're combining your left and right hand techniques. Focusing on these can make the difference between your bass lines sounding sloppy or sounding rhythmic and tight.

In my latest Youtube lesson I show you how to work on your articulation with a bass groove that I've written specifically for this video.

You can pick up a free transcription of the bass groove under the video.

This is an underestimated subject. It’s one of the main qualities that separates a good bass player from a great bass player (or musician). Control and consistency over every note you play takes close attention and quite a lot of work, but as you nicely demonstrated, the result is music rather than a racket :)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FDC484950 said:

This is an underestimated subject. It’s one of the main qualities that separates a good bass player from a great bass player (or musician). Control and consistency over every note you play takes close attention and quite a lot of work, but as you nicely demonstrated, the result is music rather than a racket :)

Thanks! Yes I find that up to a certain level, a lot of players just don’t think about articulation. It really does make all the difference. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2022 at 18:50, Bilbo said:

I think about very little else......

Same here. 

it’s surprising the amount of bassists I see who have never thought about articulation though. But I get that just playing the right notes is the challenge initially.