Why become a member? ×

DiMarzio Relentless P pickup (DP296)

neepheid

I'm considering swapping out the pickup in my G&L Tribute LB-100 because the stock sound isn't exciting me, I want more.  I was going to keep it in the family and put a G&L MFD split P in there but I've become aware of the DiMarzio Relentless pickup (https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/standard-bass/relentless-middle).  I like the idea of the shaping like a ramp/rounding off corners and in theory it's the highly regarded Model P but with a bit more poke in the lows and mids so should have the requirement for a more exciting sound covered.

Has anyone got any experience with this pickup that they'd like to share with me?  I had a search but couldn't find anything beyond passing mentions of it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

As it happens I've just ordered one.

Should arrive next week. It's going to get installed into a cheap shorty with a KiOgon loom.

Please report back :) 

I'm considering one of those because the way they look, but I'd be interested to hear how it compares to other Precision pickups.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'm getting it because I like ramps!

I really like Mr Sheehan but these days I don't try to play like him so I'm hoping it will just be a great if powerful P pickup.

I never played like him! :D

• 4 weeks later...

It is now installed. I like it.

But ye gods the output is MASSIVE.

Cut the bass in my amp quite a lot to make it sound more mid pushed like a traditional P pickup and lowered the input gain.

I’m using 250 pots with it. Dimarzio suggest a 500 vol and 250 tone, but the 250 pair sounds good to me.

• Like 2