Why become a member? ×

Completed: Project Fruity - 4 String Jazz Build

benh

Fret slots marked ready for cutting - think this oak will look pretty good as a fretboard. Edited to include my cheapo fret slotting method

PXL_20220312_132349014.jpg

PXL_20220312_143933423.jpg

Edited by benh
  • Like 3

Couldn't resist a quick mockup. Please note, pickup cover, knob and bridge positions are approximate at best! To be added to this will be black binding on the neck, and black block inlays.

PXL_20220312_230248517.jpg

• Like 5

Interesting looking piece of wood you've got for the top. Flame, but stripes too and with some irregularity to the flame. I'm often drawn to the more unusual, or less than perfect grain patterns like that. Triple A flame and quilted tops and bodies can look stunning, but sometimes they just seem so perfect that it's almost boring, like I've seen that on PRS guitars and the like so many times.... (Maybe that's just me?)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your build progress.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Looking good! Are you binding the body aswell? 👍🏻 

Thanks! Not binding the body this time. Doing the neck mainly as a curiosity as I've never done it before. Same with block inlays - practiced on scrap but never fitted any

1 hour ago, durhamboy said:

Interesting looking piece of wood you've got for the top. Flame, but stripes too and with some irregularity to the flame. I'm often drawn to the more unusual, or less than perfect grain patterns like that. Triple A flame and quilted tops and bodies can look stunning, but sometimes they just seem so perfect that it's almost boring, like I've seen that on PRS guitars and the like so many times.... (Maybe that's just me?)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Thank you. I much prefer interesting wood too, like you I find the AAA flame tops etc a bit boring sometimes. My only slight regret is that the lines in the wood aren't parallel or an equal distance from the centreline, but I guess that's what you get for using natural materials!

Edited by benh
English hard, me tired
  • Like 1

Absolutely no idea if I'm doing this the correct way, but binding and block inlays done before I attach it to the neck. Note to self: remember to put the truss rod in before I glue the fretboard on...

PXL_20220315_140821733.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, zbd1960 said:

Watched a video recently of a guy using 5,000 year old bog oak for a fretboard - it was almost jet black. I like the look of this though. 

I watched that too, bog oak does look great. Tempted to stain these covers black (not the fretboard though!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you! The block inlays and neck carve have definitely been my favourite parts of the build so far. Just keeping my fingers crossed it sounds good! I feel like I've avoided lots of the mistakes I made the first time already, so that's a plus.

• Like 2

Not much progress recently, but the body is much closer now (including both pickup covers), tiny bit of routing for truss rod access then will be ready for the dreaded task of sanding and finishing. Oh, and side dots done too!

PXL_20220428_192744330.jpg

PXL_20220428_192806707.jpg

• Like 5

• benh changed the title to Completed: Project Fruity - 4 String Jazz Build