Why become a member? ×

Ashdown abm600 Tube Replacement

Guest BassAdder27

Recently my two month old Ashdown ABM600 started to make a slight humming noise when engaging the drive circuit / tube 

When new it was very quiet and did its job, I started to notice the hum and gave Dave Green a quick message ( thx Dave ) and he said swop the tube and report back.

Did this and it’s back to its original great sound without the annoying hum.

My question is how many ABM users have had to drop out the tube ( mine had a Ruby in it ) as I’m somewhat surprised it would need changing only after a few months of regular use.

As a drive tube I guess it’s going a fair bit of work perhaps ? 

I popped in a JJ ECC83 S and I will see how long it lasts 

It’s an easy job but annoying having to carefully remove the four plastic screw covers and pull out the amp from its wooden case. 
Hopefully a one off ? 

Just now, Woodinblack said:

I haven't had to do it, but you know, its a glass tube with electrons bouncing between metal plates, its always fairly amazing that it works in the first place!

In amps where the humble 12AX7 or ECC83 is the pre amp tube or tubes they tend to last years in comparison to power stage tubes. 
Just maybe they are working this tube hard to get the grind and drive tone ?

Bought mine off here a month ago or so with the hum on the value. It arrived with Dave today so hopefully will get fixed. Didn't want to attempt it myself although I've changed the valves on my old OTB500 a couple of times to change the tone.

1 hour ago, CJPJ said:

Bought mine off here a month ago or so with the hum on the value. It arrived with Dave today so hopefully will get fixed. Didn't want to attempt it myself although I've changed the valves on my old OTB500 a couple of times to change the tone.

It really is straight forward but if Ashdown do it then you know they will check it over too