Why become a member? ×

Practicing with headphones and an iPad

Joe Nation

Long story short, I have no space for an amp nor can I practice with any sort of decent volume for the foreseeable (until we move house and get a garage/decent shed). So I'm after a simple and cheap-ish way to practice with headphones, ideally via an iPad. What I'd like to be able to do is have a metronome, drum backing tracks, maybe some playalong stuff on the screen, all running through some headphones so I don't disturb the kids/neighbours. An effects emulator might be cool, but far from essential. I'm coming back to playing after 15 or so years away, so not a beginner but I need to learn a lot of the basics I didn't bother with when I was 17!

I'd appreciate any and all recommendations for headphones (is bluetooth worth thinking about?), interfaces etc, as well as any iPad apps, free or paid. Budget is small-but-not-tiny, but I'd rather spend a few more pennies to get good sound and function.

And yes, I know there's no substitute for a decent amp and it won't be the same, but it's what I've got to work with. *shrugs*

TIA.

I have a Nu-X Mighty Plug which has amp sims and effects and allows a device like an iPad or phone to connect via Bluetooth to stream music to play along to. It also has built in drum loops and a metronome. 

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/NUX-MP2-Might-Plug-simulation/dp/B084JB519R/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=3SQTP6200GS5O&keywords=nux+mighty+plug&qid=1642512957&sprefix=nux+mihht%2Caps%2C1001&sr=8-1

I can’t comment on the best headphones to use but I don’t think Bluetooth headphones would work very well as there would be latency between your playing and what you’re hearing. With a device like the Nu-x which plugs directly into the bass it’s only a short headphone lead anyway so it’s not really a problem. 

Edited by Velarian
  • Like 1

Something like the Zoom B1 Four would be ideal. It's a small, cheap multi effects floor  unit with line in and headphone out. It has various drum patterns and some fairly usable effects. I bought a used one locally recently for £30, just because I couldn't not buy it  really at that price.

It will run off batteries or a dedicated power supply or even a USB power supply. 

https://www.thomann.de/ie/zoom_b1four_bass_multi_effect.htm

As for which headphones, that's probably one of the more contentious topics on here...

Everyone has an opinion, and nobody is trying to give you bad advice. There's just so much choice.

For my tuppence worth I'd recommend Beyer Dynamic DT880 Pros, or you could try models by AKG (such as the K701 or K702) or any Sennheiser or various other brands. If you're trying to either exclude external noise or eliminate the sound of your playing from annoying others then buy closed back headphones rather than open back.

My DT880s (which are open) don't leak much sound but I have some other open back headphones where you may just as well have your head between two speakers.

Avoid bluetooth.

• Like 2

Not the cheapest option but one I don’t think you’ll beat is the Waza Bass air, comfortable, absolutely great sound and atmosphere, the app has built in amp sims, full control over your Eq, built in effects. 
Bluetooth hook up to phone or iPad (no latency) and you can play any media through it as you play along with separate volumes for bass and music. (They’re damn good as just headphones for music) 
built in metronome, tuner and drums of various styles which you can set to whatever BPM you need . 
if you can stretch to them you won’t look back 

You can't have Bluetooth with no noticeable latency as it's simply not in the specification.

AFAICS the bluetooth connection is simply for playing music from your phone or iPad where the fact that it has been delayed by up to 200ms won't matter, and for controlling the effects on the headphones. The connection between the instrument and the headphone will be done by some other method that is sufficiently low latency but it won't be Bluetooth.

1 hour ago, Bunion said:

Bluetooth hook up to phone or iPad (no latency) and you can play any media through it

The bass to headphones used the boss WL system so still wireless 

Any latency is so minute on the Bluetooth that as you say it’s unnoticeable so for my ears none. 

I recently picked up a Nux Mighty Plug MP2. I haven't have the chance to play with it in depth, but the sound quality is definitely good enough and varied enough for practice and it will certainly do the job as an easy to use, quiet practice device.  It's great that I can use it with or without my iPad or iPhone, and stream music through it wirelessly.

My other solution, that I was using before hand, was an IK Multimedia iRig HD2 device, with either Amplitube or BiasFX.  This solution has a superior quality of amp/fx simulation, but it's not as convenient. It's feasible to even use this as a live rig direct into PA / FRFR speaker if I needed to instead of my Helix, however, it can be a little noisy depending on which bass I use (single coil hum)

Headphones, I either use my inexpensive KZ ZS10 IEMs, that I also use live, or my Jabra Move on ear headphones (wired), not amazing or expensive headphones, but very neutral sounding which suits me fine.

EDIT: I wonder how good the NUX would be as a live backup rig straight into my FRFR?

Edited by Greg Edwards69