Why become a member? ×

Bass Directs Second Hand Stock - An Unfortunate (maybe isolated?) Experience

binky_bass

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

See my earlier statement about how busy they are, pretty much constantly. They’re the main bass place in London and an easy casual drop in, unlike BD. 

Yeah that's fair enough, but response time to emails and enquiries is almost always how I guage my initial impressions of a guitar shop, so in that respect they have fallen behind almost anyone else.  I've also made a number of offers in the past on instruments, both by email and on Reverb, and to this date not a single one has ever been responded to.  Offers expire on the Reverb platform and emails go unresponded.  But if they have such high walk in trade, I guess internet trade may not be their target.

But back on topic, I think if Bass Direct had a proper website with stock built in, with a backoffice synced to support it, theyd be in a much better position.  No excuse for telling you something was in stock when it wasn't, but a computer giving answers would be a big help.

• Like 1

I was watching one of the Andertons videos on YouTube the other day and the Captain mentioned that back in 2017 they spent something like a million quid on revamping their website! I can understand why a small business like BD might struggle to find sufficient funds upfront to do their website justice, however much of a good investment it may prove to be long term.

50 minutes ago, Kev said:

Yeah that's fair enough, but response time to emails and enquiries is almost always how I guage my initial impressions of a guitar shop, so in that respect they have fallen behind almost anyone else.  I've also made a number of offers in the past on instruments, both by email and on Reverb, and to this date not a single one has ever been responded to.  Offers expire on the Reverb platform and emails go unresponded.  But if they have such high walk in trade, I guess internet trade may not be their target.

Regardless of who I’m dealing with, my first line of enquiry is usually by phone, probably because I’m old and that’s the way things used to be done. 😂

They get a lot of calls too, tbh. 

• Like 1

Been buying basses and stuff from the Gallery for over 20 years.  Never had an issue, always been able to call or order online (although calling sometimes wasnt easy), as I live in Edinburgh. In all that time I have had one wrong order of a set of strings, was offered a refund and the actual strings i ordered, as well as keeping the ones that were sent.  Website is very frustrating though.

I will, at the moment continue to use both Bass Direct and the Bass Gallery, and I look at a few others too, as we need to keep as many bass specific retailers  as possible.

• Like 1

Well. I think that there isn't a bass dealer/seller/shop on the planet which hasn't at one time had a dissatisfied customer.  Instead of a continuing excoriation of any particular dealer/seller/shop why don't we take our dissatisfaction to the dealer/seller/shop?

It's not as though this hasn't been discussed before?

Take it to the source of discontent.

Thanks

Colin

• Like 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1