Why become a member? ×

Bass Directs Second Hand Stock - An Unfortunate (maybe isolated?) Experience

binky_bass

So, a quick rundown...

They had listed in their second hand section a pedal I was very much after, I paid straight away via PayPal. I then noticed that further down in the list of pictures of their second hand pedals that there was no picture of this pedal, but there was a picture of a pedal by the same brand that wasn't listed in the pricing... 

As I'd already paid, I emailed BD to ask if the pedal I paid for was definitely the pedal I was actually going to get, I even explained why I was asking that question...

The swift response was "Yes, we definitely do have that pedal in second hand stock". 

Excellent I thought, worries alleviated...

Until I get an email this morning saying "Sorry we don't actually have that pedal, it is actually another one by the same brand"

I emailed back to say that I'd asked that question and was told you absolutely do have it, I expressed my disappointment and was simply sent a one-liner back to say "We've issued a refund". 

Massively frustrating... It was on the website, I even emailed to MAKE SURE it was the right pedal, and after explaining why I was asking you'd think they'd actually check... instead no, just pure disappointment.

If they'd checked and said "Sorry, you're right, it is a different pedal", then fine. It just frustrates me that I specifically asked and was still told it was the right one for it to end up NOT being the right one...

Anyway, rant over. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 2

When I was looking at their gig bags for amp heads and asked about internal depth I thought they would at least measure one.

Nope they replied should be ok if not return it !!

Thankfully it was ok but what a faff if it didn’t fit. 
Customer Service makes a difference you know !! 

24 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

When I was looking at their gig bags for amp heads and asked about internal depth I thought they would at least measure one.

Nope they replied should be ok if not return it !!

Thankfully it was ok but what a faff if it didn’t fit. 
Customer Service makes a difference you know !! 

I've asked no end of dimension / weight questions to a variety of shops and the only shop that always goes out of their way every time is GAK.

They've been ace for that sort of thing.

• Like 2

Yep, I've found ordering off their website to be very hit and miss. 

I ordered something that was in stock, only to be told after the transaction went through, I'd have to pay additional postage. I asked why, and they said it was a bundle deal. When I pointed out that wasn't clear when ordering, they said tough, and I'd have to pay the additional if I wanted the item. No apology for the unclear entry on the website. 

Their website is shambolic at best. Having a functioning website for online sales seems a minimum these days. Coupled to quite an arsey attitude from staff on the occasions I've been in in person - for example, ridiculing the brand I came to look at/try out, and suggesting I have a warranty returned/repaired amp instead (as clearly they wanted to get rid) didn't sit that well, or getting all huffy on another occasion when I asked to try a bass I was considering buying (having travelled 2 hours to get there!), almost like they were doing me a favour rather than a customer looking to buy something from them. 

They're certainly no longer my first port of call for stuff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I've asked no end of dimension / weight questions to a variety of shops and the only shop that always goes out of their way every time is GAK.

They've been ace for that sort of thing.

I’ve had very positive experiences with GAK also. I had an issue with a very expensive bit of kit and they were brilliant.

What gets my goat is the clear lack of them being arséd to actually check the pedal was there when I very specifically told them exactly why I was asking for confirmation...

In balance, when I've bought things from them and there's been no issue, well of course it's all gone fine and everyone's happy, but this pedal issue has really annoyed me as it just shows total lack of anyone actually caring. 

Edited by binky_bass

I’ve had a few interactions with BD over the years and have come away utterly dissatisfied every time. The worst was when I was considering ordering a custom Wood & Tronics from them and specified 4 string, 16.5mm spacing as a requirement. I was told by Mark that I didn’t want that, I wanted a 5 string with 18mm spacing. 🙄 That was the end f that. 

• Confused 3

10 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I’ve had a few interactions with BD over the years and have come away utterly dissatisfied every time. The worst was when I was considering ordering a custom Wood & Tronics from them and specified 4 string, 16.5mm spacing as a requirement. I was told by Mark that I didn’t want that, I wanted a 5 string with 18mm spacing. 🙄  

Ahh, yes - The old Bass Direct Jedi Mind Trick!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve had very good experiences dealing with BD up until early December when I placed an order for a Gator pro double gig bag..

Normally, my orders have turned up within a couple of days, after 10 days of not hearing anything, I phoned to be told that they were out of stock (still being advertised on their website?) & they wouldn’t get any stock until January?
Disappointed at no courtesy information on this front, I cancelled my order & got a refund..To find elsewhere that everywhere else was out of stock in the UK…

I ordered again from Andertons, £30.00 cheaper & e-mail updates on availability….

• Like 1

In order to add some balance, I've never had a problem with them and enjoy my trips up there. 

I had an issue with an amp I ordered which was sent to my old address that was on Bass Direct's system as I had forgotten to update them. Mark went out of his way to resolve the issue and when he knew I was visiting the store, he went and picked the amp up from the couriers so it was there when I arrived. 

• Like 3

I've had mixed dealings with Bass Direct over the years. Incorrect orders, lack of updates, mis-communication.  Over the years I have ordered probably 20 things from them, with issues around 5 times.  They have always been good enough when a mistake has happened, so I'll still use them, but only if I cant get what i want somewhere else first.  Hate the website though, hopefully they'll fix that soon.  Which would be a start. 

• Like 1

My best BD experience was when I had a bass with them on a comission sale.

Long time went by, it clearly wasn't going to sell any time soon, and I needed the cash and it gone.

I rang them to withdraw it, and pay whatever to have it sent back.

Whilst I was talking to the assistant about it (he was great), Mark clearly overheard our conversation.  He took the phone from the assistant,  and proceeded to give me a right old telling off/tongue lashing for withdrawing the bass!

I kept polite, as I obviously just wanted it back. He eventually put his assistant back on, and it was sorted. He couldn't apologise enough, clearly quite shocked as well at the behavior of his boss. 

Must have been having a bad day......!

This is quite a different thread to the other BD one, where praises were sung.  I wouldn't buy an E string off them after the shambles and the tissue of lies i was fed about my missing bass, which never ressurfaced to my knowledge.

Never again. Ever.

I'll be honest and say I've bought a good few things from them before (basses, cabs, amps etc.) in fact GR Dual 1400 arrived today with no issue. 

But... and the big but here... is that if nothing goes wrong, its fine, but if something goes wrong it seems that the service stops dead. I've long maintained that the mark of a good business is how they act when something goes sideways. At some point something will always goes sideways, but if it's dealt with well then its not an issue. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, spongebob said:

My best BD experience was when I had a bass with them on a comission sale.

Long time went by, it clearly wasn't going to sell any time soon, and I needed the cash and it gone.

I rang them to withdraw it, and pay whatever to have it sent back.

Whilst I was talking to the assistant about it (he was great), Mark clearly overheard our conversation.  He took the phone from the assistant,  and proceeded to give me a right old telling off/tongue lashing for withdrawing the bass!

I kept polite, as I obviously just wanted it back. He eventually put his assistant back on, and it was sorted. He couldn't apologise enough, clearly quite shocked as well at the behavior of his boss. 

Must have been having a bad day......!

Think that's pretty normal I had some dealing Many years ago and would not give him a penny of my money 

For balance, I've bought secondhand and sold quite a lot of gear on commission at Bass Direct. These days, I sell pretty much everything through them as it takes away the hassle of dealing with idiots online, they tend to sell quickly and sell stuff for higher prices than I could (for example) trying to sell something on here. 

If I need advice about something I'm thinking of buying then I ring them up and ask. I once rang for advice on buying a cab and Mark advised me to buy something that I had been offered by someone else as he thought that it would be better for my needs than what he had in stock! I can't fault that and for me the service has always been great. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

In order to add some balance, I've never had a problem with them and enjoy my trips up there. 

I had an issue with an amp I ordered which was sent to my old address that was on Bass Direct's system as I had forgotten to update them. Mark went out of his way to resolve the issue and when he knew I was visiting the store, he went and picked the amp up from the couriers so it was there when I arrived. 

I wonder if that’s because you’re their best customer though?! 😛

• Haha 1

I am by no means saying that Bass Direct is terrible. 

I am however saying this particular situation fell down because of multiple unnecessary failures at their end, all of which could have been handled differently. 

There is a fairly constant underlying vein of poor reviews that seem to fit the same outline as mine, but there are also a lot of good reviews too.

Bit of a mixed bag. What let me down is effectively asking them to do a stock check due to a suspicion of them incorrectly listing a pedal (which ended up being the case!) And instead they just ignore what I said, insisted they had it, then the next day admitted they didn't and refunded the payment to avoid any discussion of providing an alternative. 

I bought a used pickup that was advertised incorrectly. I only noticed 6 months later when I got around to install it & read the model/product code. Hot Stack Jazz vs Hot Jazz. Quite an important difference despite the name. 

I emailed and just got something like "OK, thanks". 

• binky_bass changed the title to Bass Directs Second Hand Stock - An Unfortunate (maybe isolated?) Experience
  • Hamster locked this topic