Why become a member? ×

Rickenbackers for sale?

prowla

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, karlfer said:

Just seen this.

The ***** didn't turn up so sadly I had to keep it 😁

🙂 I'm sure you'll find it in yourself to be able to live with the disappointment.

Edited by prowla
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Recent visitor to the forum and a long time Ric player , although not in my main rotation at the moment , I love a nice Ric. Always have.

And had no inkling of any kind or kerfuffle between Ric & BassChat. 
To be honest I’m not crazy about counterfeit instruments and cheap copies , whether the copies be of Fender , Gibson , Rickenbacker , MusicMan or whatever. I simply wish that offshore instruments were given their own unique identity. 
Perhaps they should examine the retro futurism evident in some Italian design of the early 60’s , and especially their use of switches , extra buttons , and mother of toilet seat flourishes. 
I’m weary of Fender shaped copies. And I wish the counterfeiters could be a little more funky.

All of this would have been avoided if the American companies had zealously protected their copyrights and trademarks right from the beginning. 

8 minutes ago, msb said:

.... To be honest I’m not crazy about counterfeit instruments and cheap copies , whether the copies be of Fender , Gibson , Rickenbacker , MusicMan or whatever. I simply wish that offshore instruments were given their own unique identity. 
Perhaps they should examine the retro futurism evident in some Italian design of the early 60’s , and especially their use of switches , extra buttons , and mother of toilet seat flourishes. 
I’m weary of Fender shaped copies. And I wish the counterfeiters could be a little more funky.

All of this would have been avoided if the American companies had zealously protected their copyrights and trademarks right from the beginning. 

Counterfeit instruments is one issue, are there more vintage Les Pauls  (bursts)  / 63 strats than the production figures suggest exist?  Having been playing since the early 70s I have seen cheap copies cause change for the better.  With a bit of care in choosing, the quality of (cheap) copies is now outstanding.  Young / impoverished / beginners / experienced musicians can get good kit for next to nothing.   The American companies had the market largely to themselves in the late 60s / early 70s, my view is that competition forced them to improve.  New designs - yes please.

I have read that there are many more burst LesPauls and early Fenders that have been “authenticated” by experts than we’re ever produced. They’re said to play better than the originals.

And most American manufacturers now have their own cheaper offshore versions made. I have an Epi Flying V , I’d be reluctant to spring for the real Gibson model , and I enjoy the Epi. It’s very well made (Unsung Factory). I also have a couple of real Gibson basses. I have a Squier Bass VI , and was delighted to find the bass at a nice price point. Doubtful I’d spring for current vintage pricing or even a Custom Shop version. I like the Squier. I put a lot of time on it.

Rickenbacker was a little different though , they remained small. And have never authorized offshore duplication of their designs. They threatened anyone they could find with legal action , I’m not aware of any actual cases. But in the eyes of the law zealously protected their copyrights and trademarks.

10 hours ago, msb said:

Recent visitor to the forum and a long time Ric player , although not in my main rotation at the moment , I love a nice Ric. Always have.

And had no inkling of any kind or kerfuffle between Ric & BassChat. 
To be honest I’m not crazy about counterfeit instruments and cheap copies , whether the copies be of Fender , Gibson , Rickenbacker , MusicMan or whatever. I simply wish that offshore instruments were given their own unique identity. 

Fortunately, Ric bass copies are reasonably easy to spot; there are one or two craftsfolks who can make a near-exact copy, but all of the others are identifiable and the current Chickenbackers are a joke.

Fendres are a minefield; the company did so many variations over the years and decals are readily available; I view every Fender for sale as a fake unless proven otherwise.

I wouldn't call myself a Gibson aficionado, but I'm guessing hands-on a Les Paul might give some hints. There are anecdotes of folks re-purposing sunbursts as goldtops in the 70s.

I know John Hall has a history of alienating people , but I’ve only had positive experiences with him.  After buying my old 4001 I went on the Resource Forum asking about the cap bypass. He took the time to patiently explain it , I didn’t realize until about two weeks later that he owned the company. 

• Like 1