Why become a member? Ɨ

Blue Monday

Eldon Tyrell

Just now, Old Horse Murphy said:

My Blue Monday wasn't too bad and I also discovered that my latest blue purchase shares the same birthday as me (sadly not the same year!) :)

Ā 

Ā 

EDFB0DA9-1D00-4C09-8554-35A309ECBB4A.jpeg

EF5DDD82-5BBA-4C2F-B28F-D9730E9A6AA2.png

Ā 

Cool stuff. Is this the one BD had listed in their pre-owned section?

4 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Today is the most depressing day of the year, apparently - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Monday_(date)Ā 

Ā 

I donā€™t want to be a miserable git on Blue Monday of all daysĀ šŸ˜Ā but your link literally explains that itā€™s complete bullocks invented by a PR agency and even the guy who originally put his name to it now campaigns against the thing.Ā 

Ā 

By all means listen to some New Order though.Ā 

NO's Blue Monday was released when I was in the upper 6th at school, the final year of my A levels. Unfortunately one of the lower 6th was a big NO/Joy Division fan and played the Blue Monday 12" over and over and over and over and over and bloody over again in the 6th common room. I suppose it made a change from all the Fad Gadget crap he usually assaulted us with, but he still managed to make me so sick of hearing it that I've never listened to it all the way through since.Ā 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

It's a great song, but worth noting that there is every chance that the notion of today being the unhappiest one of the year came from a campaign to sell holidays.

Ā 

For the many who live a life of continual inexplicable emptiness and misery, there is certainly no need for a Depressive's Christmas, as it were.

Ā 

Ā 

Yep, fantastic song but the day itself is makey-uppy (https://www.badscience.net/2009/01/part-432-in-which-i-get-a-bit-overinterested-and-look-up-waaay-too-many-references/)

• Like 2

On 17/01/2022 at 16:46, Eldon Tyrell said:

Today is the most depressing day of the year, apparently - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Monday_(date)Ā 

Ā 

Great occasion to re-watch NO's remarkable live performance of the best-selling 12'' single of all times. Enjoy šŸ™‚Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have never managed to listen to all of it, can't stand it.I justĀ  listening again, and managed 30s. The day has gone quite well and I saw no reason to spoil it.

Please, someone explain - why on earth do so many intelligent musicians rate it so highly?

Ā 

• Like 1