Why become a member? ×

Sterling vs Music Man - is it worth it?

BassAgent

It's like any other brand.  The USA StingRays are obviously built to a "higher" standard in the US with "better" parts and materials. What that means to you is what it means to you, and it won't be the same as other people.

Personally, my StingRay Special has hardware, electronics and a finish that is unavailable with the cheaper Sterling line, so to me its worth it.

• Like 3

What I'd also add to the above ^^^ is specific to the StingRay Special; for me its head and shoulders above any other 'Ray variant I have played, be it USA Classic, old series, Sterling or even the old SUBs and OLP licensed models. I can't even pin what it is, but it just has a premium "feel" to it that I don't recognise from before.  

The higher end Sterling models seem to be great instruments for those who don't want to spend US prices, but as with the majority of brands, it just isn't quite the real thing.  I would always go for a used USA 'Ray over a new Sterling for the same money.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, funkle said:

Fair enough. No doubt the higher price USA ones have better finishes, hardware, etc. 

However. Is the cheapest Ray4 bass good enough? Yes, it is…even unmodded…

By any measure, any bass that can be set up well is good enough, regardless of brand, quality, woods, electronics or anything else :) 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2022 at 21:48, horrorshowbass said:

Ray34 all the way.

The Ray4 is ok but the 34 sounds like a US.

I had a US classic, absolutely beaut to look it but 34 was just easier to play and sounded the same. I got a used 34 on here for 500 quid. Bargain 

Glad you’re still enjoying it and I totally agree. I have a classic that I have hung onto for sentimental reasons but the Ray34 was always the bass I would reach for. A used well setup Ray34 is a joy and great value for money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, funkle said:

If any proof was needed that its not what you play, its how you play it ......

Embarrasingly, it's actually gives clumsy bassists like me hope that I should focus on my technique and stop spending/wasting so much money on new kit!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

I'm very aware of that (I love my cheap Sadowsky basses as much as my expensive vintage Fenders and custom De Giers) but build quality, comfort and, to be honest, resale value, are also pretty important :)

Lol. Ah well, then you already know which pond to fish in, as it were 😝 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, funkle said:

Fair enough. No doubt the higher price USA ones have better finishes, hardware, etc. 

However. Is the cheapest Ray4 bass good enough? Yes, it is…even unmodded…

Julia’s stuff is unreal. Such a talented player, with so much groove. Just shows that it’s how not what you play. 

On topic, I’ve owned 2 USA SUBs, one had been a bit beaten by the time it got to me, and I preferred my brother’s modern SUB Ray (I.e. the “cheap” one). My second USA SUB is a keeper, and stands up to any bass I’ve ever played, but I’ve spent time monkeying with setup to get it just so. 

• Like 1

Just now, theyellowcar said:

Julia’s stuff is unreal. Such a talented player, with so much groove. Just shows that it’s how not what you play. 

On topic, I’ve owned 2 USA SUBs, one had been a bit beaten by the time it got to me, and I preferred my brother’s modern SUB Ray (I.e. the “cheap” one). My second USA SUB is a keeper, and stands up to any bass I’ve ever played, but I’ve spent time monkeying with setup to get it just so. 

The "cheap" one, but probably more expensive than the SUB was when new!  They were effectively a US built Sterling, in that it was just a step down from a proper 'Ray.

14 minutes ago, Kev said:

The "cheap" one, but probably more expensive than the SUB was when new!  They were effectively a US built Sterling, in that it was just a step down from a proper 'Ray.

Oh definitely, the modern SUBs aren’t far off the sticker price of a US SUB from yesteryear. I think they were ~£450 brand new? Obviously the reason they ended up killing the line in the end - too much bang for your buck!

• 1 month later...

Having 'retired' in October '20, I got a call out of the blue from an ex-colleague (who I barely knew) just 2 weeks later, who offered me a freelance contract for an unspecified period. Fast forward to March '22 and I'm still freelancing for them. They pay me decent money, it's 100% working from home & they even give me 45 days a year paid holiday (freelancers are never usually paid for holidays).

I talk to the guy who offered me the contract almost every day and we've become good friends. One thing I've discovered is that he used to be a bit of a rocker & played in a gigging band for many years. He shared a picture and he's playing a black Stingray. He no longer has a bass but has randomly mentioned a couple of times that he wouldn't mind playing again.

Anyway, my contract should finally finish in July & I thought about maybe buying him a bass & small practice amp as a 'thank you' present.

I looked at new Stingrays but they have rocketed in price over the last few years & used ones have doubled since I last owned one.

I can get a new Ray4 for just £265 in Europe (my employers are based in Germany) - from what I'm reading here, this would be a pretty decent present for someone. I just can't make up my mind if I'll look like a 'cheapskate' if I don't buy the 'real thing' 🤔

• Like 1

@molantricky one. A gift is something you want to get right. Personally I think the Ray4 is great, and a superb modding frame, but in your shoes I’d probably go for a Ray34. I don’t think that needs any mods at all; only reason I never bought one is my preference for Jazz necks. Only get those on a Ray4 or an SLO Stingray

Edited by funkle
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Hm. I’ve had both. An Stingray Special 5, then years later a Sterling Ray34 that I modified with an Eastman pre and Aguilar pickup…

… now I’m back to two Specials. They’re just plain the best basses I’ve ever had, these specials are truly special. Much as the Sterling is a great great bass, these are better.

I wouldn’t pay 3k new for them as they are now, but you can find them for the 1700 range. 

Best basses I’ve owned. I wouldn’t spend that much on a bass that’s not my primary and if I was, say, a fender guy, the Sterling would be more than enough. 

Having said that, the best Stingray is a Stingray Special 😁 

1C818874-A178-4FA4-BEC4-8DC612622B45.thumb.jpeg.08d7335a3f4a15d48a02777c64430e56.jpeg

Best,

Ander. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Hm. I’ve had both. An Stingray Special 5, then years later a Sterling Ray34 that I modified with an Eastman pre and Aguilar pickup…

… now I’m back to two Specials. They’re just plain the best basses I’ve ever had, these specials are truly special. Much as the Sterling is a great great bass, these are better.

I wouldn’t pay 3k new for them as they are now, but you can find them for the 1700 range. 

Best basses I’ve owned. I wouldn’t spend that much on a bass that’s not my primary and if I was, say, a fender guy, the Sterling would be more than enough. 

Having said that, the best Stingray is a Stingray Special 😁 

1C818874-A178-4FA4-BEC4-8DC612622B45.thumb.jpeg.08d7335a3f4a15d48a02777c64430e56.jpeg

Best,

Ander. 

That grey is on my bucket list. Amazing.

• Thanks 1

It really is something else, cheers @horrorshowbass!

took them both to rehearsal today, the grey one is a bit rounder in tone (heavier weight?) and thicker sounding with the flatwounds, but I also love the aggression and definition of the copper one. 

I’m very happy with them, long may it last! Pickguards should arrive next week, I’ll report here…!

Ander. 

Nothing wrong with Musicman basses other than the price.

Seriously, this will get you there...I doubt if one in fifty bassists would know it wasn't the real deal.

I played one today, after playing its big brother yesterday, and I'm damned glad I didn't buy the MM!

61prai3FuNS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

On 21/01/2022 at 22:05, Kev said:

What I'd also add to the above ^^^ is specific to the StingRay Special; for me its head and shoulders above any other 'Ray variant I have played, be it USA Classic, old series, Sterling or even the old SUBs and OLP licensed models. I can't even pin what it is, but it just has a premium "feel" to it that I don't recognise from before.  

I have only played a Special the once.

When I bought my Classic Sabre, the seller also had a StingRay Special as well. The Special was the black with black hardware and ebony board and it was fantastic to play. I’d say from my limited time with it, it felt a couple of rungs up the ladder from the regular pre Special Stingrays I’ve owned or played from about the last ten years or so.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dub_junkie said:

it felt a couple of rungs up the ladder from the regular pre Special Stingrays I’ve owned or played from about the last ten years or so.

what he said. I may sound biased but having had both and basses from £500 to £3000 I find the SR Specials are the most premium from my experienced

overpriced, like any top end bass especially these days - but second hand, totally worth the 300£ ish more than the regular Stingrays. 

If it’s for your no1. bass and you can afford it, get the SR Special 2nd hand. If you want a Stingray tone without breaking the bank or are on a budget, the Sterling is a very, very respectable bass. 

BTW, having had the last generation for both I can say the Sterling ray34 neck feels chunkier and ‘digs’ into the phalanges more than the MM SR Special. 

Best,

Ander. 

Edited by Ander87

On 17/01/2022 at 20:23, Bunion said:

I do have to say the best stingray I’ve ever played is a Roger giffin custom with a modulus neck and original stingray hardware and internals though. 
1C15837E-BB3B-4A99-A322-ABC74887164F.thumb.jpeg.fa2f11080040f1500c8af76affb3ace8.jpeg

Not much to stop anyone buying a Status neck, electronics to suit, some decent hardware and make/get a body made.

Might not come out too expensive vs. A US 'Ray.

I would,  but I've got a 4 and 5 string Warwick that both cover the same territory. Plus the Ibanez EDC715.

1 minute ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Might not come out too expensive vs. A US 'Ray.

This one wasn’t put together by me, I’d hate to think what Roger Giffin would charge for that body nowadays, probably more than a new stingray. 
I believe the guy who did this one 30 odd years ago wanted a cutlass 1 bass with a fancier body than musicman were selling at the time.
He imported the modulus necks (one fretless) and used the hardware/internals off his own stingrays. 
Different times 😄