Why become a member? ×

Sterling vs Music Man - is it worth it?

BassAgent

16 hours ago, Ander87 said:

Hm. I’ve had both. An Stingray Special 5, then years later a Sterling Ray34 that I modified with an Eastman pre and Aguilar pickup…

… now I’m back to two Specials. They’re just plain the best basses I’ve ever had, these specials are truly special. Much as the Sterling is a great great bass, these are better.

I wouldn’t pay 3k new for them as they are now, but you can find them for the 1700 range. 

Best basses I’ve owned. I wouldn’t spend that much on a bass that’s not my primary and if I was, say, a fender guy, the Sterling would be more than enough. 

Having said that, the best Stingray is a Stingray Special 😁 

1C818874-A178-4FA4-BEC4-8DC612622B45.thumb.jpeg.08d7335a3f4a15d48a02777c64430e56.jpeg

Best,

Ander. 

Stunning! 

I am just now noticing the special's rounder contours. It looks so sleek.

• Thanks 1

My mate is more of a guitarist but loved when I recorded some parts for him with a stingray.

He wanted that sound for future demos and got a Sterling Ray (at the time about £700) and it was blummin lovely.

If you can try both…see what you think.

For no reason other than financial, I’d look for a second hand full fat Musicman £900-£1300 seems to be normal for them. A lot of bass for that kind of money.

Also, the lesser spotted EX range which were made in Japan. They’re wonderful too.

• Like 2

Well, I have both at home right now. Not Stingrays, but Sterlings. I borrowed a Sterling SB14 from a friend, and shortly after bought a '93 EBMM Sterling. The SB14 is really really good. Like, for that price, insanely good. It's light, the neck is great, it sounds like a proper Music Man, the hardware is good and I really like the colour.

The EBMM is however a different ball park: the neck is a bit chunkier than the SB14 (but only a little bit), has some crazy birdseye figuring on it, the hardware is a lot better than the SB14 and the sound has more depth and "feel" to it.

Is it worth the price difference? Well, yes and no. The EBMM is actually a lot better but also about twice the price (on the second hand market) than an SB14. I do think the EBMM is a better investment, if I'd want to sell it again. The SB14 is bloomin' great, though.

iVLFQ9B.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, BassAgent said:

Well, I have both at home right now. Not Stingrays, but Sterlings. I borrowed a Sterling SB14 from a friend, and shortly after bought a '93 EBMM Sterling. The SB14 is really really good. Like, for that price, insanely good. It's light, the neck is great, it sounds like a proper Music Man, the hardware is good and I really like the colour.

The EBMM is however a different ball park: the neck is a bit chunkier than the SB14 (but only a little bit), has some crazy birdseye figuring on it, the hardware is a lot better than the SB14 and the sound has more depth and "feel" to it.

Is it worth the price difference? Well, yes and no. The EBMM is actually a lot better but also about twice the price (on the second hand market) than an SB14. I do think the EBMM is a better investment, if I'd want to sell it again. The SB14 is bloomin' great, though.

iVLFQ9B.jpg

Ah the Sterling Sterling! I just don't understand their branding devisions on the Sterling line... however, my EBMM Sterling is the best bass I ever owned. I found that they sell for a little less than the 'Rays (at least, mine was around £500 when I bought it used), so definitely worth looking into. Slimmer neck, cool electronics. Just great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

By the end of the day, the reality is MM folk will tell you to get MM as much better than Sterling rays, Sterling Ray owners will tell you theirs is as good as the US stuff. 

Go out and play. And enjoy it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Duarte said:

Ah the Sterling Sterling! I just don't understand their branding devisions on the Sterling line... however, my EBMM Sterling is the best bass I ever owned. I found that they sell for a little less than the 'Rays (at least, mine was around £500 when I bought it used), so definitely worth looking into. Slimmer neck, cool electronics. Just great.

I’d like classic Sterling  but you do not see many around unfortunately 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BassAgent said:

iVLFQ9B.jpg

Those sterling's look amazing.

3 hours ago, Ander87 said:

By the end of the day, the reality is MM folk will tell you to get MM as much better than Sterling rays, Sterling Ray owners will tell you theirs is as good as the US stuff. 

Go out and play. And enjoy it!

True enough.

I own neither.

That's why when I went shopping Friday, I tried both based simply on how they play and sounded...both look great...and there was absolutely no difference between the two other than the price.

PhotoCollage_20220306_111641824.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

True enough.

I own neither.

That's why when I went shopping Friday, I tried both based simply on how they play and sounded...both look great...and there was absolutely no difference between the two other than the price.

PhotoCollage_20220306_111641824.jpg

3x of the one on the right for 1x on the left?

• Like 1

Ugh! Like I said I would NOT buy a SR Special new. I would not lol. 

Also somehow the new US ones have a ‘select hardwood’ for body that I did not like reading. And uglier colours if you ask me haha! The generation of mine is swamp ash. Pity most of that gen’s colours are discontinued. 

I love the Sterling ones… Maybe that first gen has an edge over, or maybe not. Surely not enough to justify 3x the price new…

… I’m well happy I got mine and maybe I’m reminiscing that my first proper bass was a SR5 Special and have been in love since… they have more headroom and more comfortable than the Sterling Ray34 I had mid last year. 

I think they’re worth it 2nd hand. But then again I can’t justify more than 2k in a single bass, and that’s something I’ve learnt through having 2k+ instruments…! Like many folk here, I’ve learnt the hard way that all the good things end up turning up 2nd hand if you’re patient enough. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Ugh! Like I said I would NOT buy a SR Special new. I would not lol. 

Also somehow the new US ones have a ‘select hardwood’ for body that I did not like reading. And uglier colours if you ask me haha! The generation of mine is swamp ash. Pity most of that gen’s colours are discontinued. 

I love the Sterling ones… Maybe that first gen has an edge over, or maybe not. Surely not enough to justify 3x the price new…

… I’m well happy I got mine and maybe I’m reminiscing that my first proper bass was a SR5 Special and have been in love since… they have more headroom and more comfortable than the Sterling Ray34 I had mid last year. 

I think they’re worth it 2nd hand. But then again I can’t justify more than 2k in a single bass, and that’s something I’ve learnt through having 2k+ instruments…! Like many folk here, I’ve learnt the hard way that all the good things end up turning up 2nd hand if you’re patient enough. 

Yeah I need to work on patience :)

would love a special but not at over £1500

• Thanks 1

Fair enough…! For me the extra bit was worth it but also I traded in a lot of gear etc. I’ve been on a 3-4 bass business and realise I can treat myself to 2 top basses and call it a day - I’m just hoping I don’t get gassed up, cause those Sterling short scale rays are sweeeeet…!

5 minutes ago, Ander87 said:

Fair enough…! For me the extra bit was worth it but also I traded in a lot of gear etc. I’ve been on a 3-4 bass business and realise I can treat myself to 2 top basses and call it a day - I’m just hoping I don’t get gassed up, cause those Sterling short scale rays are sweeeeet…!

Agreed, down to 4 basses

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, horrorshowbass said:

3x of the one on the right for 1x on the left?

$2,300 plus for the Snowy Night.

$900 and less for the Neptune Blue.

Haven't found any used Musicman basses in Snowy Night.

The Neptune Blue looks better in person.

The Snowy Night...not quite.

Edited by jd56hawk

27 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

$2,300 plus for the Snowy Night.

The situation is more aggravating in the U.K… looking at £2.8k for a new US ray Special…… Jesus. Just about 3 years ago they were £2.3k!! 

New stock for gear has skyrocketed madly tbh. 

• Like 1

I ordered both of mine when they were first announced (April 2018) - the 4HH arrived in August 2018 and the SR5HH in November - they were both a shade under £2300 (3+ yrs ago) and thus pre Covid and other worldwide lunacy - they aren’t going anywhere but you’ll understand, if they were, I wouldn’t be willing to let them go for much under £1800 each!! 

60B82264-C3F2-443B-AA2A-FD1004287D69.thumb.jpeg.768f80bc0542413500325363bd6bda5b.jpegF6D02E17-A92D-43D4-BE9A-FD9A78480E62.thumb.jpeg.c34e7dff23794f82be04d6fa6badf42d.jpeg585877AC-2D1B-4B7C-A65C-93EFB25A992A.thumb.jpeg.1a21c028368f1735cf1402db0eafcd68.jpeg

Also note the SBMM Neptune blue, although nice, is not the same as the 2014 Musicman PDN offering

3EBB1877-38A8-4948-975F-F10357276316.thumb.jpeg.942946ad9a1142c6db249da3d8ade773.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drTStingray said:

they aren’t going anywhere but you’ll understand, if they were, I wouldn’t be willing to let them go for much under £1800 each!! 

I’ll bother you again to try one of my specials for yours someday bud 😂 looking lush!

• Like 1

On 05/03/2022 at 09:03, funkle said:

@molantricky one. A gift is something you want to get right. Personally I think the Ray4 is great, and a superb modding frame, but in your shoes I’d probably go for a Ray34. I don’t think that needs any mods at all; only reason I never bought one is my preference for Jazz necks. Only get those on a Ray4 or an SLO Stingray

The SBMM STINGRAY 24 has Jazz neck also if looking used the older CA versions of Ray34/24 and QM [Quilted] models of Stingray 34 [on headstock not Ray34] [2017-19 I believe] have Jazz neck width also.

I had for short time The SBMM Stingray34QM with 1.5 nut width; 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ander87 said:

BTW, having had the last generation for both I can say the Sterling ray34 neck feels chunkier and ‘digs’ into the phalanges more than the MM SR Special. 

I’m on my third Ray34 now. Build quality and finish excellent between the three. I absolutely love the look. I absolutely love the sound … but when other people play them. I’m really not sure what it is but something missing and means I never properly bond with them. Possibly the chunkier neck than I’m used to? But that has nothing to do with sound? I’ve deliberately stayed away from a USA Stingray\Sterling, cost notwithstanding, but it’s only a matter of time, especially as you say the Ray34 neck is chunkier.

1 minute ago, Happypants said:

especially as you say the Ray34 neck is chunkier.

Hmm! You’re more than welcome to give it a try if ever interested - it is same width but definitely shallower and modern in profile, shallower thanks a vintage jazz neck for example too. 

Also smoother but that’s down to the gunstock oil & wax finish that can surely be replicated if you know what you’re doing.

I just love mine, all aspects of it!

Loved the Sterling ray I sold you but the neck was digging on me a bit more than I wanted. 

Ander.