Why become a member? ×

Bands using singers name

SteveXFR

34 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

The Ramones were incredibly lucky that they had family members ready to step in when Dee Dee, and Tommy left.

It’s a name you don’t hear that often. What are the chances that they found fellow musicians with the same surname? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

But if your going to be honest with yourself both bands without their front person where pretty awful from a musical PoV.

That entirely depends upon your own perspective, doesn't it.  I was a huge fan of SAHB, saw them multiple times.  I saw SAHB without Alex when they toured, bought the album.  IMO they were excellent - a totally different band to SAHB but still a fine bunch of musicans playing good music.  You might not like what they did (have you even listened to any?) but no way were they 'awful'.  Yet another 'I don't like it so it must be crap' type comment.  Opinions may vary, folks :)  

Here on the OGWT

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

There is a guitarist in the midlands by the name Steve Browning. Close to me here is a soundman called Steve Browning. If I can find a drummer with the same name we're set up and ready to go!!

I've got some gravy mix with the same name. 

Don't know how percussive it is. 

16 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That entirely depends upon your own perspective, doesn't it.  I was a huge fan of SAHB, saw them multiple times.  I saw SAHB without Alex when they toured, bought the album.  IMO they were excellent - a totally different band to SAHB but still a fine bunch of musicans playing good music.  You might not like what they did (have you even listened to any?) but no way were they 'awful'.  Yet another 'I don't like it so it must be crap' type comment.  Opinions may vary, folks :)  

Here on the OGWT

IIRC SAHB were a band before Alex joined.

• Like 1

Never be in a band that used the singers name, you can never fire him.

Some friends were in a band which used the singers name and he left. They couldn't carry on using his name so it made for a bumpy transition period until their audience caught up.

32 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That can't be right.  According to Wiki he formed the band.  

I believe that they were a band playing the Glaswegian circuit when Harvey saw them and thought that they sounded great (I believe that "like a hand grenade going off" was the phrase he used to describe them IIRC). He then pitched the idea to them of going forward with him as a frontman and playing his songs. 

Edited by peteb

Just now, peteb said:

I believe that they were a band playing the Glaswegian the circuit when Harvey saw them and thought that they sounded great (I believe that "like a hand grenade going off" was the phrase he used to describe them IIRC). He then pitched the idea to them of going forward with him as a frontman and playing his songs. 

3 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Tear Gas were picked up by Harvey to become SAHB.

Indeed.  But they weren't called the Sensational Alex Harvey ... oh, never mind :D   

5 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

The Ramones were incredibly lucky that they had family members ready to step in when Dee Dee, and Tommy left.

5 hours ago, ubit said:

It’s a name you don’t hear that often. What are the chances that they found fellow musicians with the same surname? 

I suppose it cuts down on the number of auditions 

3 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

There is a guitarist in the midlands by the name Steve Browning. Close to me here is a soundman called Steve Browning. If I can find a drummer with the same name we're set up and ready to go!!

The Steve Browning Three 

Three Steve Brownings

Tres S Browning 

The list is endless

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

Here on the OGWT

Unfortunately IMO that clip very much re-enforces my point about SAHB being less good without Alex Harvey.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Unfortunately IMO that clip very much re-enforces my point about SAHB being less good without Alex Harvey.

That's fine, it is your opinion. 

I like it.  That's my opinion.

The world still turns.

• Like 1