Why become a member? ×

Bands using singers name

SteveXFR

16 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I probably would go for a band simply called Nigel. Unless Colin were looking for a bassist. 

Many, many years ago, a friend of a friend had a band called 'Keith's Dad' - iirc, they were originally called 'Keith', but there was evidently already another Keith.

A quick Google reminds me of their EP 'Nobody wants to shag Keith's Dad' - I seem to remember Snorkel Parka Punk quite fondly 🙂

2 hours ago, casapete said:

When I worked in record retail many years ago, nearly everyone thought Ray Sawyer was actually Dr.Hook rather than the band’s name.

And Ray was only the maracas player.

The subliminal link between eye patch and hook probably contributed 

Edited by Nail Soup
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Am I just being weird and unreasonable?

I don't think it's weird and unreasonable. You're probably just fine tuning your Bellshill radar. 

Depends on what you are looking for when joining a band and how many bands are looking for you. If you're able to filter out bands that filter you in all well and good.

I signed up to Bandmix and put a fairly open CV on it. A few weeks later I spotted a band looking for a bass player like me. Maybe a lot of people don't actually look that hard through the 'available' ads before posting wanted ads. 

If you're ending up with a blank list then you're going to have to compromise, or go and kiss some frogs to see what happens. 

22 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

And Ray was only the maracas player.

The subliminal link between eye patch and hook probably contributed 

That's right, although Ray was on lead vocals for some of the band's earlier stuff but sang mainly back up on the later well known songs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TimR said:

I signed up to Bandmix and put a fairly open CV on it. A few weeks later I spotted a band looking for a bass player like me. Maybe a lot of people don't actually look that hard through the 'available' ads before posting wanted ads. 

I think very few of them look for someone available before posting a wanted ad.

Searching through the wanted ads is a pain in the rectum because of all the ads with the all instruments option ticked so when you've filtered for metal bands looking for a 40+ year old bassist who can commit to weekly practice, half the ads that come up are actually looking for something completely different. 

I'm sure if I was a 20 year old female accordion player available to go touring with a electro pop duo I'd do much better. 

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

The only downside to having a band named after the singer is the is absolutely no future for it once the singer decides that they have had enough, as we discovered when after 6 years Mr Venom became too unwell to be able to consistently deliver the level of live entertainment that our audience had come to expect, that was the end of the band as he was the only member that wasn't ultimately replaceable.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band without Alex?

The Glitter Band?

Individual circumstances differ, of course.

The band I have recently parted company with wasn't called after the singer/guitarist, but it was very much his band, to the extent that the drummer and I got mere fleeting mentions on the website. One of my songs does feature on the CD that we did, so it wasn't complete blanking of other members' efforts, but it didn't seem like a band in any respect other than the music itself.

11 hours ago, Paul S said:

I totally wouldn't have an issue with is as long as the (word of the day) eponymous band's front man didn't actually believe the PR and treat the rest of the band like staff.  So if my blues rock trio had a name change to the Alan McWhirter Band that would be cool.  In fact I think I would prefer it.

I'd caveat that - if I'm actually getting a proper pay packet then I'm happy to be staff.

• Like 1

Many years ago i joined a local Rock 'n Roll cover band. The name of which featured the singer's name. In true Rock 'n Roll style the singer's  name was followed by 'and the cruisers'. I'm ashamed to say I was a cruiser in my musical past. Look beyond the singer's name, it may be worse!

14 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm sure if I was a 20 year old female accordion player available to go touring with a electro pop duo I'd do much better. 

You could always identify as a 20 year old, female accordian player, and see how it goes.

18 minutes ago, Skybone said:

You could always identify as a 20 year old, female accordian player, and see how it goes.

I'm too ugly and old to get away with it. I can't play the accordion either but they sound bloody awful anyway so no one would notice that.