Why become a member? ×

Jazz Necks, USA or MIM Comparison?

thebrig

I really like the feel and playability of Fender USA jazzes, but I've never played a MIM jazz bass, so I'm wondering how the necks play and feel compared to the USA necks? 

I know we all have different opinions, but it would be interesting to know your thoughts. 

2 minutes ago, thebrig said:

I really like the feel and playability of Fender USA jazzes, but I've never played a MIM jazz bass, so I'm wondering how the necks play and feel compared to the USA necks? 

I know we all have different opinions, but it would be interesting to know your thoughts. 

Depends on which models and when from I guess? As a right hander you've got a lot more options, but my simple way of looking at it is this: I've got a 2019 MiM precision neck on my Bitsa and it's lovely, very very good. I tried out a new MIA Jazz in a shop a few months back and it was light years ahead. It feels like there's no finish on it, and I think from looking at the woodgrain it must be this "quarter-sawn" business that gets spoken about. It felt like there was no finish on it at all, nice and thin, very fast. 

The MiM neck is a huge improvement on the rubbish they made in the 90s but the MIA feels premium.

Hope that helps 

• Like 1

Are we talking about necks fitted to MIM Fenders or the Fender necks that you can buy on their own?

If it's ones that come fitted then there are lots of choice - modern C, Mid-60s C, 70s C, thin C. 12", 7.25" or 9" radius with vintage or medium jumbo frets

I think most of these are available on their own as well

The Player plus series have rolled edges and satin finish, the Flea has road worn nitro, the 75th anniversary has a satin finish as does the standard Player series. It only seems to be the Vintera and Geddy Lee models that have the gloss finish on the back of the neck

I've just got this from the Fender website

9 hours ago, thebrig said:

Judging by both your comments, it would seem that I would not get on with the MIM necks, I do love a nice smooth finish, I definitely don't like gloss, and nice rolled edges are a must for me. 

My 2019 MiM neck has a smooth finish, it's not thick gloss.

11 hours ago, Delberthot said:

Are we talking about necks fitted to MIM Fenders or the Fender necks that you can buy on their own?

If it's ones that come fitted then there are lots of choice - modern C, Mid-60s C, 70s C, thin C. 12", 7.25" or 9" radius with vintage or medium jumbo frets

I think most of these are available on their own as well

The Player plus series have rolled edges and satin finish, the Flea has road worn nitro, the 75th anniversary has a satin finish as does the standard Player series. It only seems to be the Vintera and Geddy Lee models that have the gloss finish on the back of the neck

I've just got this from the Fender website

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Not a MIM Jazz but my MIM PJ neck is narrow but the finish on the fret ends and rolled edges aren't as good as my CIJ Geddy Jazz neck.

And yet my MIM 50's re-issue P bass neck has a really nice finish to it.

I find the MIM basses aren't as well finished as the US versions. 

Dave

42 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Never really got the love for satin finish necks, more often than not they just look and feel cheap imo, gloss just looks and feels so much better, just my opinion

Oddly enough i have both types and some like my warwick thumb with just a good polish and it doesn't really bother me too much. I've no real preference and more interested in whether the bass feels good to play. 

Dave

Might as well ask "how long is a piece of string?" With literally different dozens of profiles and sizes across both sources its not really possible to say that one is thinner, or shallower, or whatever.

Then there are the signature models for further muddy the wayers, particularly as they often differ themselves from Mex to US.

You're  going to need to find a real life shop and handle a few to find the one that suits you as theres no sensible, short answer to that one im afraid. The good news is youre going to have fun finding out.

Edited by Bassfinger
Saw bigfoot
  • Like 1