Why become a member? ×

thumb anchor

hippydude

I am learning bass guitar and just want to make sure i am using my thumb anchor properly , I have a 4 string bass and  use the side of the pickup cover  and the E string and  A string as thumb rests ,   Lets say  i have open   notes  E - E - A - E- E  to be played , Starting off with my thumb on the  pickup cover playing open E - E  should i then  stay on the pickup cover to play the open A string or should i rest my thumb on the E string to play open A . 

It depends on the tempo of the piece. If I was playing a semibreve in a slow ballad tempo, I'll probably drop my thumb on to the E string. If it's uptempo quavers/semiquaver, I'll stay on the pickup. Basically, I'll do whatever is the easiest and most comfortable way to play the note.

• 3 weeks later...

I do wonder if keeping a thumb resting on the cover and not moving it might lead to problems longer term compared to keeping your thumb mobile along with all your fingers 

caveat : I’m not medical but I’ve had a lot of hand problems arise from immobility and lack of use however if the pup cover rest thing works for anyone reading and they have no reason not to use it, go right ahead 

I think the consensus is that the movable anchor leads to better muting as placement of the thumb on a string prevents it ringing but there's plenty of great players out there who have a pretty static anchor. It's all about adjusting your technique to address the specific problem you're encountering. If you sound good, you have nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I do wonder if keeping a thumb resting on the cover and not moving it might lead to problems longer term compared to keeping your thumb mobile along with all your fingers 

caveat : I’m not medical but I’ve had a lot of hand problems arise from immobility and lack of use however if the pup cover rest thing works for anyone reading and they have no reason not to use it, go right ahead 

It could possibly cause a few problems if you solidly anchor on the pickup, mainly because it's easy to apply too much pressure on the thumb, but also because as you move up to the higher strings it can introduce a sharp angle on the wrist.

It's generally not a massive problem, but it could be if you do it for prolong periods of time.

Edited by Doddy

28 minutes ago, Doddy said:

It could possibly cause a few problems if you solidly anchor on the pickup, mainly because it's easy to apply too much pressure on the thumb, but also because as you move up to the higher strings it can introduce a sharp angle on the wrist.

It's generally not a massive problem, but it could be if you do it for prolong periods of time.

Or you happen to be prone to it  

Floating for me, as i dont like stretching,  or keeping my plucking hand in one place.  You get more tones over and above your bass eq and amp eq by moving the plucking hand nearer the neck or nearer the bridge.

Also, muting comes from both hands, not just the plucking hand

Don't over think this. There is no right or wrong way.

Your technique needs to be effective but it's also a personal comfort thing. Some players anchor on the pickup and never move, others move the anchor between the pickup, E and A stings.