Why become a member? ×

Classical Composer Reacts to Close To the Edge (Yes)

pfretrock

One of those things I found by chance on youtube. If you're a Yes fan stick with it (it's over 30 minutes but that's Yes' fault mostly)

He's amazed at the sound of the bass.

He's done a lot more of these, ELP's Tarkus has the keys score with him which is interesting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I came across this guy a couple of weeks ago listening to the Pat Metheny track Minuano. I found his incessant analysis a bit annoying though, but I guess that’s his USP. He was listening to it with a friend of his and she was just really enjoying the music and getting off on it. 

Listening to this track is more of an acquired taste but on some other, more mellow stuff he’s done he made me laugh when he pulled out either a bong or a pipe and smoked some weed. 😂

• Like 1

On 16/01/2022 at 11:28, Velarian said:

I came across this guy a couple of weeks ago listening to the Pat Metheny track Minuano. I found his incessant analysis a bit annoying though, but I guess that’s his USP. He was listening to it with a friend of his and she was just really enjoying the music and getting off on it. 

Listening to this track is more of an acquired taste but on some other, more mellow stuff he’s done he made me laugh when he pulled out either a bong or a pipe and smoked some weed. 😂

Minuano......I have not heard that in years. A track that I occasionally heard at a friend's house during a rather difficult period of my life and it calmed me down no end. Uplifting, and Metheny's playing is angelic.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2022 at 10:28, pfretrock said:

One of those things I found by chance on youtube. If you're a Yes fan stick with it (it's over 30 minutes but that's Yes' fault mostly)

He's amazed at the sound of the bass.

He's done a lot more of these, ELP's Tarkus has the keys score with him which is interesting.

He's already mastered the Jon Anderson arm movements, by the looks of it.

• Haha 1

On 19/01/2022 at 08:41, kendall said:

He's a recent convert to metal.  I've been enjoying his exploration of Iron Maiden and Tool.

I don't think it's all that recent. He's done quite a few metal songs.

He's always a good listen no matter what song it is. I would far rather listen to Doug than Rick Beato.

• Confused 1

I watched a few of this guy's youtube vids.  I very nearly started a thread about the channel last week. Diary of A Madman by Ozzy was quite a good watch.  There's a lot of more modern metal and prog rock which isn't really my thing. There's another guy doing a similar thing on a channel called Key of Geebz, but he's less entertaining which is a pity 'cos the tracks he chooses are more my bag.

Here’s one of his herbal pipe 

Videos 

I do like this guys reactions and breakdowns been watching him for a few years now 

its nice as a classical composer he can break down the music properly rather than just listen and spout cow poop 😄

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 1

I like where he mentions the Beach Boys. Back in my progtastic teens I recall Jon Anderson referencing them as an influence and thought “are you kidding?”  Over the years listening with the ears of a grown-up and becoming a huge Brian Wilson fan I completely get it. 

Edited by lonestar
  • Like 1

Well.... that's really weird - stumbled across this bloke last night completely by accident on youtube and spent hours watching his vids. Ended up getting hardly any sleep. Get up this morning and theres a thread on him.

Usually I hate vids like this, but I loved it. The way he gets the same kicks out of chord progressions as a normal fan would over guitar solos etc - brilliant!

I love the Iron Maiden - Prophet video! Completely blows his mind! 

I love how rock in particular just does what it wants to.

Edited by la bam

12 hours ago, Bunion said:

Here’s one of his herbal pipe 

Videos 

I do like this guys reactions and breakdowns been watching him for a few years now 

its nice as a classical composer he can break down the music properly rather than just listen and spout cow poop 😄

I would love to whisper in his classical composer ear..."Yes could do all that stuff, in a two and a half hour show, without the need for sheet music." Just a joke.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm always surprised when musicians have such appreciation for music which is so far from their own genre but I'm starting to think it's quite common among a lot of most creative musicians. 

Most creative musicians I know aren’t focussed on a genre at all, beyond what they’re doing at that moment in time. I always think that to assume that because someone is playing or is involved in a particular kind of music, that that’s all they’re interested in, is a bit strange, although we’re probably all guilty of it at some point. It’s like assuming that because someone is making pizza for their tea (or for a living), they only ever want to eat pizza. 😂

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 4000 said:

Most creative musicians I know aren’t focussed on a genre at all, beyond what they’re doing at that moment in time. I always think that to assume that because someone is playing or is involved in a particular kind of music, that that’s all they’re interested in, is a bit strange, although we’re probably all guilty of it at some point. It’s like assuming that because someone is making pizza for their tea (or for a living), they only ever want to eat pizza. 😂

Agreed, music is music, you either enjoy a piece of music or you don't. Genre has nowt to do with it.