Why become a member? ×

Went down to the crossroads

Bunion

On 16/01/2022 at 00:31, Grimalkin said:

No instrument required, practice anywhere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_recognition

Instant interval recall. A perfect 5th? The first two notes of "Twinkle Twinkle..."

That quick.

14 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Probably not relevant, but when I'm in the car, I'll pick a song that's just on the radio or whatever, doesn't even have to be something I like,  choose a key (any key)  and try and work the whole chord sequence or bass line out in my head.  You'd be surprised at what you can retain in the depths of your mind.  

It is very relevant. The ability to recognise intervals, patterns and chord progressions before you've even attempted to play them.

That's why internalising interval recognition is important for learning, transcribing and having something to practise away from the instrument. Brain training.

Certainly a big help to me has been the purchase of the Waza Air Bass. 
I can pick up a bass, plug in anytime, anywhere.

Put on the latest tune I’m learning in a closed environment away from any distractions. 
It’s certainly helped picking out small runs and otherwise overlooked flourishes.

Plus with the metronome/drum tracks I can practice my own creations and warm ups easily on the fly.

My biggest improvements always seem to come from having to learn a new bunch of songs, either for a dep or when joining a new band. It’s not the playing with new folk, although that helps too, it’s the sitting there with a new set list, learning the tunes and then getting them up to a standard I’m happy with. Ultimately, just time spent with my hands on the instrument helps, but the new songs prevent me just going through the motions with stuff I already know (although I still like to play along with my fave tunes).

• Like 1

On 18/01/2022 at 15:58, ezbass said:

My biggest improvements always seem to come from having to learn a new bunch of songs, either for a dep or when joining a new band. It’s not the playing with new folk, although that helps too, it’s the sitting there with a new set list, learning the tunes and then getting them up to a standard I’m happy with. Ultimately, just time spent with my hands on the instrument helps, but the new songs prevent me just going through the motions with stuff I already know (although I still like to play along with my fave tunes).

100% this for me.

Last Sept i agreed to join a 70's classic punk band. (not in any way my usual style of music) I always had it in my mind that punk was easy. I was wrong. The difficult part for me was the speed and stamina to maintain that for 2.5 hrs.

The challenge of learning 40 songs in 3 weeks pushed me more than playing along with my Prog / Jazz rock albums. 

Taking on a new type of band could perhaps provide you with the challenge you need to get over that plateau.. 

Dave

• Like 1

Well that could explain why when I arrived at the crossroad on the Bristol road in Selly Oak,  Birmingham I just saw an old lady begging at the traffic lights, I did approach her but just got “aaaalriyt bab, whatch yow doooin” 

I retreated rapidly… 

• Haha 2