Why become a member? ×

‘Roadworn’ Jazz bitsa with Custom Shop '60s Jazz PUPs and KiOgon stack-knobs - *SOLD*
£275
Somerset/London

Richard Jinman

If you don't like the relic look I can save you some time: stop reading now. This bitsa looks like it was run over by a truck at the same crossroads Robert Johnson did his deal with the devil. In a good way! Here are the really fantastic things about this bass. 1) The neck. The previous owner told me it was a MIJ jazz neck and while I have no way of confirming that it is a drop dead lovely neck. Super smooth on the back, your fingers just shift effortlessly into those hard to reach chord extensions. Frets are good and the tuners - no idea what they are, but I'm sure someone will tell me - work flawlessly. 2) The PUPs. After I bought the bass I decided to treat it to some new Fender Custom Shop '60s pups. 3) the electronics. I also bought a KiOgon stack knob set up from a fellow BC'er and got Tim Marten (he of the little room at the top of a flight of stairs on Tottenham Court Rd) to install them. Wow, you're thinking: this is an incredible bass. Well, not so fast. The body - previous owner didn't know its provenance - is seriously relic-ed. I asked previous owner (it was bought on BassChat btw) how it came to look like this and he told me it had belonged to a friend who had a fire at his home. The Cajun-style bass was given to said previous owner who cleaned it up resulting in the relic look. Tah-dah - the world's first roasted body! Now look, I'm not sure I completely believe this story and I'm sure there will be plenty of whispers of dissent from the BassChat back row. Some unkind souls may mention heat guns and the like. I choose to believe the Pheonix Theory (as I'm calling it) because, hey, why not? The thing is undeniably relic-ed and I like it. Not great thing No. 2. If you open it up you'll  find some rather ham-fisted shielding work by yours truly. My father was an electronics engineer and it's safe to say I learned absolutely nothing from him. Point is my aesthetically-challenged shielding works because the bass is hum-free and sounds great. The CS PUPs give it a rather down and dirty jazz sound. It's fitted with Thomasik flats and feels lovely to play. Not so great thing No. 3. There's one screw missing from the scratchplate and the fit between the plate and stack knob plate isn't what you might call seamless. That's it for not so great stuff. I'm selling because I've finally got my hands on an AVRI jazz (also relic'ed, but not in a fire) and I'm not Guy Pratt so I only need one jazz (plus I've got my eye on a P). I think the price is reasonable because if you don't love it you could part it out. But if you do that you won't be able to say you've got a roasted jazz (TM) that was saved from the flames. I'm in Somerset mostly, but can meet up in central London (EC2). Postage at buyers cost would be available via the gig bag, bass box route. Any questions please ask. Oh, and it feels light for a jazz (I can weigh it on the bathroom scales if that's a deal breaker) which may be a result of some sort of molecular reaction to extreme heat. Or not. 

Tui-2.jpg

Tui-3.jpg

Tui-4.jpg

Tui-5.jpg

Tui-6.jpg

Tui-7.jpg

Tui-8.jpg

Tui-9.jpg

Tui-10.jpg

Tui-11.jpg

Tui-12.jpg

Tui-13.jpg

Tui.jpg

Edited by Richard Jinman
  • Like 8

• Richard Jinman changed the title to ‘Roadworn’ Jazz bitsa with Custom Shop '60s Jazz PUPs and KiOgon stack-knobs
  • Richard Jinman changed the title to SOLD PENDING ‘Roadworn’ Jazz bitsa with Custom Shop '60s Jazz PUPs and KiOgon stack-knobs