Why become a member? ×

Zombie Threads

mr4stringz

Probably new folks signing up and reading old threads, then commenting on them. 

Perhaps they searched for something, found their result and commented on it, rather than start a new thread to ask their question and then be told to 'do a search', then search, find their answer and comment on it, resulting in a zombie thread revival anyway. 

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

I don’t mean clothes for the undead, but honestly…what is it with all of the zombie threads lately?!?

P.S. I have only posted this so someone can resurrect the thread in 11 or 12 years to ask the same question…

They're all over the guitar/bass forums right now.  Pandemic boredom or bots?

16 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Seems a bit 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

Posters get told off for starting threads on subjects which have been discussed many times before, and mocked for re-starting old ones.

It's all just people trying to share or learn, which is no bad thing.

Exactly. Can’t start a new one or continue an old one. 
“We all discussed this once before and nobody must ever speak of it again”

• Like 2

Google loves Basschat and TAlkBass,  so searching for stuff about basses the relevant threads come fairly high in search results usually behind the popular live webshops, if nothing corresponding is for sale new then these results can appear at or close to the top of a search. That's how I found Basschat.

Google ranks lively forums with lots of fresh content highly. I have never had to advertise what I do, the forum for the VW campers I do the gearboxes for and a simple website with the right keywords in is plenty enough to keep me busy.

Edited by Aidan63
added personal experience

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

I don’t understand the problem with so called zombie threads - anyone care to explain?

Don’t know that there is a problem really. Just commenting as I’ve never seen so many in a similar period in here as there have been in the last couple or three months.

I have recently noticed a few new posters replying to threads started 10+ years ago by people with single-figure post-counts, then attempting to engage in dialogue with a person who only came here twice and hasn't logged in in a decade.

That seems odd. Not as in suspicious, but as in the behaviour of an odd person.

I say this speaking as a very, very odd person.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr4stringz said:

Don’t know that there is a problem really. Just commenting as I’ve never seen so many in a similar period in here as there have been in the last couple or three months.

Fair enough... but it's not so much you, but on any forum replying to an old post seems to get a negative comment and was wondering if there was any practical reason.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Fair enough... but it's not so much you, but on any forum replying to an old post seems to get a negative comment and was wondering if there was any practical reason.

Shallow superiority probably. 

A kind of, "We've covered this already, do keep up" response. 

I expect the more hostile feeling the forum, the more 'Do a search / Zombie thread negativity' there is. 

• Like 2

Funnily enough I was Googling a banjo topic this evening and ended up at a thread in a place called 'Banjo Hangout'

The thread was marked as archived/locked and had a note on it saying you can start a new thread if you want and link it.

image.png.d35797ce9e9375c0768915e90dbc8398.png

(and yes, I am thinking of building a mountain banjo 🙂!)

Edited by Nail Soup

12 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Funnily enough I was Googling a banjo topic this evening and ended up at a thread in a place called 'Banjo Hangout'

The thread was marked as archived/locked and had a note on it saying you can start a new thread if you want and link it.

image.png.d35797ce9e9375c0768915e90dbc8398.png

(and yes, I am thinking of building a mountain banjo 🙂!)

42 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Get that totally. I guess it’s perhaps that I’m really used to a forum here where it doesn’t seem to happen that much that when it does it seems kind of odd (I’m not really active on any others tbh), especially as a fair few lately seem to be a decade plus old, rather than ones that have had content in the last…even couple of years or so.

As has been mentioned above, thought maybe there was some level of bot activity for whatever reason. 

20 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Banjo Hangout'

An ideal name for a C&W bar!

• Like 1

There was one zombie thread a little while ago that I revived as the subject of it had mentioned it elsewhere (I think) . It finished up with me passing a bit of information between someone who'd come on here and someone I know from a newsgroup. This thread was the one: 

I found an old thread from 2017 on the marketplace.  I didn’t res but after a PM I got a Cab I’d been looking for specifically that the seller still had. 
He’s a happy man I dug up that thread and I got something I couldn’t find elsewhere. 
I could have “pm sent” what harm would it have done anyone? 

Peer pressure. People see everyone else saying "zombie thread!" and so dutifully take the opportunity to be the person that says it when one comes along.

Ditto "the search function is your friend" (despite the fact that the search function is, like most forums' search functions, annoying 💩

And ditto all the other ancient jokes, "Andy's sold a bass ahahahaha" etc

• Like 2