Why become a member? ×

Schaller S

Guest BassAdder27

After trying these new versions of the Schaller S I’ve today removed them from both my basses and gone back to basic “leave strap on” using BassChat rubber strap locks 

Last band rehearsal the part fixed to my leather strap starting tuning even though I had tightened them up very tight. 
Im done with them and will stick with the more basic but trustworthy method. 
Although the older Schaller had issues I think this new variant is terrible 

Amazes me to think I first collected a load of grolsch bottle top rubbers about 1990 and basically used them since as my locking buttons failed on a European tour. I lost several sets of locking straps over the years and wondered what was a better system until I discovered these. Also the earlier strap locks never seemed to cope with thick leather straps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dov65 said:

Won't turn if you tighten grub screw 👍

20220116_092325.jpg

That’s true but the whole thing still twists on a strap hence why I’ve stopped using them.

The grub screw only stops the knurled top from unscrewing ( good ) but even using a lever through the two holes to really tighten on to the strap they still moved on the strap itself by a fair bit 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2022 at 14:11, BassAdder27 said:

After trying these new versions of the Schaller S I’ve today removed them from both my basses and gone back to basic “leave strap on” using BassChat rubber strap locks 

Last band rehearsal the part fixed to my leather strap starting tuning even though I had tightened them up very tight. 
Im done with them and will stick with the more basic but trustworthy method. 
Although the older Schaller had issues I think this new variant is terrible 

I use this https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/straps/guitar-and-bass-straps/auto-lock/

I tried the Grolsch washer method but I was not a fan as I have had strap pins work themselves loose using that method and I am not a fan of straplocks, the Daddario strap seems to work just as well and no modifications needed

I prefer a strap lock where the strap is secured under the mechanism, like the Ernie Ball super locks. That way, even if the nut comes loose, your strap isn't coming off. I had Schallers years ago and had the same issue as BassAdder. I've also had straps wear out with rubber washers and come off. This seems to be a good balance for me.