Why become a member? ×

Pots and cap for Dimarzio Model P

Munurmunuh

My Squier P came fitted with ki0gon loom, which I believe means 250k pots and a 047uF cap.

I had a Dimarzio Model P pickup fitted. Dimarzio suggest a 500k for the Vol, 250k for the Tone and a 033uF cap.

If I swapped the Vol and/or the cap over to Dimarzio's suggestion, what differences would I hear?

For what it's worth, I keep the Vol on 10 all the time, occasionally take the Tone down to 7, and only use rounds (changed more often than really necessary ;) )

I'm ignorant enough to be deserving of a much more patronising answer than that. Brighter all the time? Or simply less darkening when turning the tone?

I'm about to change from Fender nickel-plated strings to Pro Steels, which I'm expecting to make a big difference to the brightness, amongst other things. Relative to that, would a change of pot and/or cap make only a minor difference?

I'm going to be interested to see what's left of the Pro Steels tonal balance when the tone knob is turned right down. ATM, I don't find that setting much use.

I found this explanation of the cap:

When you put a 0.047µF cap on a 250k pot, it will make a low-pass filter with a "knee" right around 300Hz. Take that same circuit and throw on a 0.022µF cap on there, and the cutoff frequency moves to approximately 850Hz (give or take a few). When you turn the Tone knob down, you are lowering the volume of all frequencies above that cutoff.

I can now understand why Dimarzio recommend a lower value than .047 for the Model P. I think I would find the tone control more useful if I changed mine. 

And I found this comment on pots:

The 250 kohm pots will load a little more to ground, making the circuit have a tad lower resonant peak, and therefore a more even tone across the spectrum, a little "warmer" overall. The 500 kohm pots will load less to ground, so that the resonant peak is a little higher, a little brighter tone. But on bass it is so subtle, that a slight bump of the tone knob will do more than the value of the pots will.

16 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm ignorant enough to be deserving of a much more patronising answer than that. Brighter all the time? Or simply less darkening when turning the tone?

I'm about to change from Fender nickel-plated strings to Pro Steels, which I'm expecting to make a big difference to the brightness, amongst other things. Relative to that, would a change of pot and/or cap make only a minor difference?

I'm going to be interested to see what's left of the Pro Steels tonal balance when the tone knob is turned right down. ATM, I don't find that setting much use.

Wow was only trying to help 

22 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Bass has to visit the tech for a couple of other things, so I'm having the .047 cap swapped for a .022. If I don't like the tone knob's effect any better, then no loss ;)

.....and I'm really happy. Instead of turning the bass into a mud machine, the knob now just gently takes off the gleam, leaving the meat of the tone in place – exactly what I hoped for :)