Why become a member? ×

Parcel2go - WTH????

glassmoon

A few yrs ago just before Covid i had a Hermes 24hr delivery held back for 2-3 days because "we didnt have a van out your way that day"

Altho i live in the countryside i am approx 40 miles from Glasgow centre and 35 miles to Edinburgh. Their depot was 28miles from me if i remember correctly. 

When the parcel didn't arrive within a couple of days i contacted them and that's when i found out their reason for not delivering. If they had sent me a message i could have gone there myself and picked it up. They then assured me it would be delivered the following day. It was.

Obviously they were waiting until they had a full van before delivering so what's the point of paying for 24hr delivery. 

Pretty sure it was a bass cab from Guitar Guitar. 

Not a fan of M

Hermes at all.

I use P4D as it was once recommended thru BC few yrs back mainly because the reviews were good especially when things went wrong plus the insurance was thru them rather than the courier. Cant really remember much of the detail now as i very rarely send larger items these days. 

When i do post parcels i'm generally happy with Parcelforce who haven't let me down in a very long time............i think. TOUCH WOOD. :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I think this puts them under too much pressure, which ultimately costs the employer in the long run.

I had an item claimed to have been delivered through my letter box this week. It wasn’t. Contacted Amazon who were incredibly good, just arranged for a replacement to be sent, which I received the next day.

2 days after that a knock on the door, my item had been delivered to The British Legion, which is nearby and the same postcode - note, nothing like the same door number. I think the driver pulled up at the postcode, couldn’t immediately see where I live, which is a bit obscured, and just delivered it to wherever they could see/wherever was nearest.

Which has cost Amazon, though I will try to return the original, after all I don’t need two of the same book and I don’t want to cheat them out of it. But to me it’s the pressure of the volume of items that drives this behaviour - that or the need for better spectacles.

It is my experience that Amazon and most of the "budget" delivery services employ drivers who haven't yet figured out how conventional UK house numbering works. Add to that the pressure to get an unfeasible number of parcels delivered every day, it's not surprising that many drivers can't be bothered/simply don't have the time to locate any property that isn't immediately obvious. I've also had one parcel "delivered" to an address with the same Street name and number but with an entirely different post code and therefore in a totally different part of Nottingham.

It would also suspect that unless the item has a retail price of over £10, it won;'t be cost effective for Amazon for you to return it.

On 15/01/2022 at 19:57, Marvin said:

Not true at all. Hermes is a private German company...owned by another German company called otto.

https://www.ft.com/content/2bd5d78c-7520-4c3e-a77b-bc477d1f18dd

75% of the UK parcel delivery business and a minority stake in the German business were acquired by US private equity firm Advent International in 2020. Definitely nothing to do with Amazon.