Why become a member? ×

Anyone using a Bergantino Forte HP?

fretmeister

I've not paid much attention to Berg amps (I've had their cabs in the last) and in my hunt for amps with built in compression and other things I've only just noticed this really.

Anyone using one? Ideally with a BF Super Twin?

The demos look great, the drive circuit seems to be actually musical and the extra bits like the variable HPF and LPF are a great idea.

I know they don't sell in the same volumes as other brands but I can't see any reports of failures. Anyone had any downsides?

ta

• Like 1

I've got the Forte HP.

I was interested in the features; compression, HPF and 1200 watts, and after a positive experience using Bergantino's  cabs, I wanted to check out their amps.

First impressions, I think this amp sounds great. There's an authority in the tone that I like. A full, solid and warm feel to each note. I've never used compression before and after several sessions playing with the controls and a couple of gigs, I'm finding I can take it or leave it. The HPF just works quietly in the corner. With my Barefaced cabs I'm  not sure I have a problem that requires an HPF to fix.  I have it set at about 9 o'clock, just before I start to hear it thinning out the sound. 1200 watts. . . . that's lots of punch and there is headroom to spare, but this year I've taken a step back from doing many of my very loud gigs, and really my 500 watt amps are fine for what I now need. There is an overdrive, but I have no interest in that. The firmware can be updated from the Bergantino site which gives different base sounds. It's something that I'm not sure I really need. Whatever download was on the amp when I bought it suits me just fine. I'd probably never change it.

My conclusion is the Forte HP is like buying a Ferrari to run the kids to school and then do the weekly shop at the supermarket. I have nothing but praise for yet another world class Bergantino product. That company is just in a league by themselves. This is the most amazing amp I've used so far, but the truth is, I'm an old skool player and it's way over spec'ed for my needs.  

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

@Doodhas done video reviews of the B|Amp (the all singing and dancing version) - I think he mentioned trying the Forte too at some point.

Thank you! Yes I do! B|Amp is absolutely superb - and It alone has managed to distill several rack U's of kit I used to drag around in to a nice neat package. I agree with Chris_b, there is definitely an authority to the sound and I don't need to tweak much to get what I need. Forte is a great amp too and I am most definitely excited about getting my hands on Forte HD, the new B|Amp Mk2 and both the NXT and NXV cabinets for a full review at some point!

I really can't think of a reason to give up this amp, it's superb. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Urban Bassman said:

I do!  Although I use it with Berg 212NXT.  Without doubt the best rig I've ever had or played through.  Only used it at rehearsals so far but it's a great piece of kit.20211103_103426.thumb.jpg.44376b27a96de8aae17b0e8be547a10f.jpg

Ooh love that Spector: is it a spalted/French Violet combo finish?

33 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I've got the Forte HP.

I was interested in the features; compression, HPF and 1200 watts, and after a positive experience using Bergantino's  cabs, I wanted to check out their amps.

First impressions, I think this amp sounds great. There's an authority in the tone that I like. A full, solid and warm feel to each note. I've never used compression before and after several sessions playing with the controls and a couple of gigs, I'm finding I can take it or leave it. The HPF just works quietly in the corner. With my Barefaced cabs I'm  not sure I have a problem that requires an HPF to fix.  I have it set at about 9 o'clock, just before I start to hear it thinning out the sound. 1200 watts. . . . that's lots of punch and there is headroom to spare, but this year I've taken a step back from doing many of my very loud gigs, and really my 500 watt amps are fine for what I now need. There is an overdrive, but I have no interest in that. The firmware can be updated from the Bergantino site which gives different base sounds. It's something that I'm not sure I really need. Whatever download was on the amp when I bought it suits me just fine. I'd probably never change it.

My conclusion is the Forte HP is like buying a Ferrari to run the kids to school and then do the weekly shop at the supermarket. I have nothing but praise for yet another world class Bergantino product. That company is just in a league by themselves. This is the most amazing amp I've used so far, but the truth is, I'm an old skool player and it's way over spec'ed for my needs.  

I get all that.

I had racks and racks of gear for many years (and the back pain to prove it) - so anything that gets me some compression and a touch of drive into 1 unit really makes me want that Ferrari! :D 

• Like 3

I have the Forte HP which I use with a variety of Barefaced cabs, among them a big baby and six 10. Heaps of power and tonal variety available.  The downloadable firmware is excellent and easy to use.  The compression is subtle and natural,  and having both hpf and lpf is icing on the cake. I find having the extra power on tap seems to add control at loud volumes, as might be expected.  A great match for Barefaced cabs ime.

• Like 2

I have an HP, running through an HDN410 and HDN210. I am sure it will be great through BF cabs, but in order to satisfy my OCD I had to have matching gear! No regrets. As mentioned above this amp had a lot of heft/body. I leave the 'punch' (mid boost) turned on all the time. The HP and LP filters are great for live use, and taming the sub frequencies or rumble. The parallel compressor works seamlessly but I prefer the control I get from my Empress compressor. Never use the Drive circuit, although some say it adds a little something if you engage it, but keep the drive level at its minimum. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 14/01/2022 at 12:25, thodrik said:

Just want to put a comment in here because I am intrigued to hear more about these amps. They are certainly on my Class D amp wishlist along with the Mesa TT/WD800 heads and a few others. 

How comes it says Class A on the back?

1 hour ago, ReeV0 said:

How comes it says Class A on the back?

The description of the amp on Bergantino website refers to ‘Class D’ power. So in marketing terms it is a class D amp even if it technically isn’t.

https://bergantino.com/fortehp/

I have no idea why says class A on the back. Though I would guess a more technically minded Basschatter will be able describe the differences between Class A, Class A/B and Class D.

I have the original Forte with the compressor , not the new drive version. And use Bergantino HDN cabs. This is only 700 watts at 4 ohms , but I’ve never come remotely close to maxing it out , tons of headrooom. 
It’s a simple , clean , fairly transparent amp , with some serious slam.
It was easy to dial in , and sounds gorgeous.

I think my stage sound is the best it’s ever been. I’ve become a complete fan.

8D790BCE-75A2-4C04-9F5F-6D28C709D927.jpeg

• Like 5