Why become a member? ×

Guild / DeArmond JetStar

hooky_lowdown

1 hour ago, mr4stringz said:

Love the visuals, but not yet tried one to see if I could get along with one. There was a DeArmond one on eBay a couple of days back that had such a stupidly low BIN I nearly bit, but was sensible for once. Looks to have gone now.

There's a red one on eBay currently. Looking at the position of the P pickup, I'm thinking it's screaming out for a big chrome mudbucker next to the neck.

I bought one of the DeArmond reissues in the early 2000s, when some shops reduced them to around  £100, new.

It looked kind of cool, but it had a lot of neck dive and the first fret felt a mile away. Hardware wasn't great (especially the tuners) and tonally it sounded like a relatively cheap P Bass.

Honestly, it was really just a pretty cheap and unimpressive instrument.  Mine mostly sat in a corner for a while,before being given something like £70 as a part ex.

• Like 2

I have a DeArmond Jetstar II that I got from the forum a few years back and belonged to bassist Scott Whitley.
Its the made in Korea one with the x2 made in USA single coils. 

Scott modified it to be a Vol + Tone + Mini 3-way pup selector, literally the same layout as his SWB-1. 

It's a great little bass, you can actually "approximate" an Alembic tone by using both pups on at the same time.

• 11 months later...

There's a DeArmond twin single coil pickup, black one just come up on facebook marketplace in Bristol. Comes with a Bass Centre gig bag and Laney 50w amp for £50.

If I was closer I'd be grabbing that for a bit of fun. 

If you're near Bristol, go grab it. 😁

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

This is my first bass. From 2000. My friend used it to practice luthier skills. He made it fretless and added a built in speaker. Sounds a bit like a fretless jazz bass. I think these basses suffered from neck dive because their bodies were so light. Still really fun though. Rare, but likely not worth much.

PXL_20230214_040925114.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matchu said:

This is my first bass. From 2000. My friend used it to practice luthier skills. He made it fretless and added a built in speaker. Sounds a bit like a fretless jazz bass. I think these basses suffered from neck dive because their bodies were so light. Still really fun though. Rare, but likely not worth much.

PXL_20230214_040925114.jpg

That's fantastic!

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I bought a black DeArmond Jet Star (long scale, single Duncan Performer P pickup ) a few years ago, with the intention of refinishing it to resemble Peter Tork's (the Monkees) original 60s Guild.  I liked the feel and tone quite a bit.  Records and sits in a mix pretty well.  Had a nice neck, capable of very low action.  Has some neck dive, but for the price I'm not complaining too much.  Refinished it with aerosol lacquers in a sunburst.  Not a completely professional result, but it definitely has that "vibe" of Pete's old Guild...  Definitely one I plan to keep!

IMG_0043.jpg

Edited by MonsterFan
  • Like 3