Why become a member? ×

Thoughts and comments please

Cosmicrain

I was messing around with my design software and came up with this design (loosely based on bits from a few existing basses, but not a copy of any particular basses)  At the moment it's drawn up as a 32" scale 4 string with Thunderbird pups and a Hipshot  SuperTone Gibson bass bridge, and Hipshot ultra-lite machine heads.  I was also thinking of offering a Carbon Graphite neck version as an upgrade? Anyway, it's just a drawing at the moment but do you think it would sit in with my other Zoot bass range?  Any comments/idea's would be appreciated.  Thanks, Mike.

Prototype 4 string 32 scale bass.jpg

Edited by Cosmicrain

2 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I think the headstock would look better the other way round with the tip pointing downwards. I'd go for a proper pointy headstock too. The pointier the better!

I like the reverse headstock, but would like a wee redesign to keep the strings straight all the way to the tuners.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I think the headstock would look better the other way round with the tip pointing downwards. I'd go for a proper pointy headstock too. The pointier the better!

Agreed, plus I would also reduce the angle slightly so that the E string has less to do after the nut. Might also help the G string as I see you have put some kind of peg between the nut and tuner?

Could I ask why, out of all the bridges you could have chosen, you've picked the Gibson Super Tone. I'm not a fan.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

First thing which came to mind was the Washburn and Rudy Sarzo gurning with one. Then I saw Steve's post and it's bang on.

What is the thinking behind the string guide on the G string, is that extra bind point really necessary?

Hi, there are no reasons for it, as it's just an idea and drawing at this stage, so anything can change, including I may not even make one, but thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Agreed, plus I would also reduce the angle slightly so that the E string has less to do after the nut. Might also help the G string as I see you have put some kind of peg between the nut and tuner?

Could I ask why, out of all the bridges you could have chosen, you've picked the Gibson Super Tone. I'm not a fan.

It's just a design at the moment nothing more nothing less, so anything could change if I were to make one including the bridge. Appreciate the feed back.  Mike

• Like 1

Looks very nice, I would increase the radius of the upper curve on the lower horn to be more in keeping with the overall feel but that’s just my eye on it. Headstock will always please some and alienate others no matter what shape you do. Agree with above regards banding.

• Like 2

Personally think the “standard” Zoot headstock doesn’t work with the body’s aesthetic, a modified version of the original reverse one for straight string runs makes more sense to me.

I like it, it’s the sort of 80s throwback shape which sells it to me 😄

• Like 1