Why become a member? ×

Back ground noise

DogBoy

LET IT BE KNOWN, i AM A SELF TAUGHT NEW BOY SO PLEASE BE PATIENT. I'm using a Mark Bass Little mark lll with a pair of Hartke 210 XL cabinets. I settled on these as what looked a viable option. As yet I've not used these in anger so to speak but it seems that at even relatively moderate (prox. 60% gain, 50% master volume all tone controls set to flat response) I get unacceptable back ground noise. I'm using XLR balanced input as standard jack leads are even worse. It's more than likely something dumb I'm doing, but advice would be welcome. P.S. I get the same from my Quincy Tolouse 6 string and the stag 4 and 5 string basses so I don't thing its the guitar. P.P.S. If this post is done incorrectly then again i ask your forebearance as I am new to using forums.

I wouldn't say that's usual for that amp, mine is pretty much silent even when cranked (apart from the horrible noise that is my bass playing). Cables would be the first thing I'd check.

Also, aren't those Hartke cabs switchable?... if so make sure they're running at 8ohms each.

It's back to school for DogBoy fretmeister.  Thanks for the reply but oh dear, earth loops, and a mains filter. Doh! and here I was blaming the government.:-) Just as a matter of interest the key to the matter proved to be ONE filtered socket, ONE four socket trailing  plug board plugged into same, all equipment plugged into trailing sockets. The noise however seemed to be digital, like a data transmission, but hey, so what it's fixed.

• Like 2

Ah!

Electrickery can be a strange thing. When I first got the Helix it was really noisy into my interface, turns out it hated the power supply from my computer. I replaced that and I've not heard an unexpected sound from it since... glad it's sorted!