Why become a member? ×

What strings on your jazz?

la bam

1 hour ago, Boodang said:

Latest string discovery for my Squier jazz... Galli Synthesis flats. Synthetic core strings.

Admittedly these are on a fretless but they feel great, really buttery, and they fit my style of playing, jazz/groove, no slap, plenty of punch without being too dull.

They do rounds in the Synthesis as well. Will try them next on the fretted.

Interesting.

I look forward to finding out what they're like..

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Interesting.

I look forward to finding out what they're like..

I tried these. They take forever - like, days - to tension up.  You keep on a cranking and crankin and you're convinced they're going to snap.  I'm told that eventually they do settle and then are very good.  But as a gigging sort of bod with the need to possibly change strings quickly it's not an option.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lownote said:

I tried these. They take forever - like, days - to tension up.  You keep on a cranking and crankin and you're convinced they're going to snap.  I'm told that eventually they do settle and then are very good.  But as a gigging sort of bod with the need to possibly change strings quickly it's not an option.

I've done a thread on these strings with some clips as well. They sound good when they get there but yes, took about a week of playing before they would settle down. If I broke one on a gig I'd have to swap basses. I like them enough tho to put up with that. Not a million miles away from the Obligato strings on my DB which have the same issues.

On 13/01/2022 at 21:47, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I've discovered over the years that the roundwound on Jazz tone doesn't really work for me, even though I use rounds on everything else. If I were to own another Jazz I think I'd go the full Herbie and put on a set of Roto Tru Bass and a bit of sponge under the strings.

Cannot get the Tru-bass thing. Had them on my first bass and hated them so much I never want to see them again 

Got several Jazzes with various rounds and flats. But, hey, each to their own. 

One of my Jazzes (a Noel Redding model) wears TI Jazz Flats at all times and I use it for R&B stuff or when I’m looking for a ’60s rock sound. 

My other Jazzes are used for a variety of rock and pop and they wear nickel roundwounds. I’ve changed brands a few times over the years but settled on D’Addario XLs a few years ago and they’re working for me; inexpensive, bright, they feel nice and they last a long time.  

Sometimes I’ll use DR Sunbeams on the active fretless for a warmer sound but not always. 

Managed to find an unopened pack of daddrio exp 170 which I must have got in a trade some time.

Theyve really brightened up the bass alongside my sansamp.

Sounds great so far. If I dont get on with them, I'll try some of the suggestions on here. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Delberthot said:

D'addario EXL165s for me but I fancy trying something different like GHS Boomers or even trying a lighter gauge and raising my action a bit

My experience with Boomers was that they felt and sounded very similar to D’Addario XLs but they lasted less than 1/2 as long.  Boomers were my first strings and I really liked them at the time but my personal opinion is that D’Addario made a similar string in the XL and did a better job of it. 

Of course, some people swear by Boomers so I can only speak from my own experience. 

Prompted by this thread, I tried a set of DR Pure Blues 40-100 in place of my La Bella 760FLs. Initial impressions very good. Similar to Sunbeams (very, as in they are also nickel wound, round core) and more punchy than flats. May end up going back to flats, as thats my comfort zone, but enjoying these rounds for now.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2022 at 21:54, lonestar said:

I’ve used DR Fatbeams on my US standard for a while but recently tried DR nickel Lo-Riders. I really like them. Quite stiff but pretty versatile tone wise with a nice feel.

Tried a set of Lo-Riders myself a while back. Superb tone but way too stiff for me. My fingers hurt for days after one nights playing!

The thing about DRs for me is that the hex cores are too tight and the round cores are too elastic. Sound good though, and if you are going for that scooped midrange modern Jazz Bass tone , Hi,-Beams really accentuate that.