Why become a member? ×

What strings on your jazz?

la bam

It's probably been asked a million times, but I've got a jazz (flea relic) and it came with dead roundwounds. Now, being on a jazz they weren't really working like they would on a precision, so I was wondering what you all use on your jazzed and for what style of music.

Precision is pretty easy - roundwounds or flats - but jazzes?

• Like 1

I like both rounds and flats on jazzes. I currently have elixirs on my ash/maple '81 Fender for that clear and deep (more modern) sounds, and La Bella 760fl on the '66 Fender which sound outstanding...

A few years ago I would have laughed of you told me I was going to prefer flats... Now they're my fave. 

Old rounds can indeed sound pretty well on some basses :)

• Like 1

I've got DR Marcus Miller Fatbeams on my 2012 American Standard, (and I say Marcus Miller Fatbeams because ten years ago when I put them on that bass they were still endorsed by Marcus), and TI flats on my 74 AVRI reissue. 

I went with DRs on the Am Standard because I thought if Marcus Miller uses them they must be good on a Jazz Bass. In reality they are OK but I prefer the sound of Rotosound Swing Bass to be honest with you. When it comes to roundwounds, to me that is the classic tone on a Fender. 

The TI flats on the '74  are perfect for me. Easy to play compared to my only other foray into the world of flatwound strings, Rotosound Jazz flats (way too stiff for me) I bought by accident in 1983.  The TI's have a lovely warm, supple tone and in the twilight world of my own imagination they allow me to pretend that I am Robbie Shakespeare. What more could I ask for?

Edited by Misdee

Nickel wounds all the way here - on my 98 US Deluxe, and my 97 Jap reissue (Clarky's old black one), and, perhaps more surprisingly, on the Squier VMJ fretless. 

When I were a lad in the eighties it was all 30-90 ultra light, ultra bright. Now I can't stand that clanky sound, but equally I'll never be a flatwound person.

So if I'm feeling flush, it's DR Sunbeams, and if not whatever the D'Addario equivalent nickel is. 

All 45-105, obviously. 

Until recently I was using D'addario Balanced Tension 120-50 Nicklewound set on my Sadowsky Metro tuned to drop C. 

I have now strung it with 100-40 Rotosound stainless steels for some standard tuned funk action while my downtuned/stoner band are on hiatus. 

For funk based playing, it has to be stainless steel for me. For an all round tone that lasts I will probably get a set of Elixirs. I prefer the tone of fresh D'addarios but a set of Elixirs last me over a year!

11 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

D'Addario black tapewounds on the Classic Vibe, GHS black tapewounds on the Italia and Bacchus

How do the GHS match up to D'Addarios?

I usually use D'Addario tapes. I like the matt finish, less plasticky than Labella's, just feel smoother to play. I've not tried GHS tapes. 

I actually use flats on my Jazz. I play in a Power Pop / punky New Wave band when I use that bass. I have rounds on my P-bass but I found the Jazz sounded great in isolation but rubbish in the band mix (it's a USA Fender model). I put the flats on it and it works well for me. It's confused a couple of soundmen on that scene because most bass players use distortion / overdrive and I sound more 60s but I like that tone. 

• Like 1

Flats on a Jazz sound great with the treble boosted a bit and loads of compression for that click-and-boom late 1960s kind of tone. As Cat points out, great for indie music ect . A refreshing alternative to the usual fuzzed-out fare. Channel your inner Paul McCartney.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bassfingers said:

How do the GHS match up to D'Addarios?

I usually use D'Addario tapes. I like the matt finish, less plasticky than Labella's, just feel smoother to play. I've not tried GHS tapes. 

The D'Addarios sound fantastic on my CV...decided to go with them just for the hell of it, I have them on two Dean Exotica acoustic basses and they're perfect...but GHS black tapewounds are my favorites.

I have them on five basses, and if I ever buy another bass, I already have a set waiting.

Smooth as silk and more...dynamic than any flatwound or tapewound strings I've tried, including Ernie Ball Cobalts and TI flats.

PhotoCollage_20210722_105155278.jpg

• Thanks 1

Latest string discovery for my Squier jazz... Galli Synthesis flats. Synthetic core strings.

Admittedly these are on a fretless but they feel great, really buttery, and they fit my style of playing, jazz/groove, no slap, plenty of punch without being too dull.

They do rounds in the Synthesis as well. Will try them next on the fretted.

• Like 1