Why become a member? ×

Tenor recorder

JapanAxe

I’ve been listening to Bowie’s song The London Boys recently, and the clarinet intro got me thinking about playing it on recorder. I have a couple of chewed-up (literally!) descants that I rarely touch but  a lower compass would be better. I started looking at stuff on YouTube about tenor recorders and I’m quite taken with the idea of getting one. I read music and I already know the notes in the first octave so I would have a bit of a start.

Recommendations picked up so far are for Yamaha or Aulos with baroque fingering. I have long fingers so could probably manage keyless.

Any BCers admit to playing one of these, or maybe have a significant other who does? Top tips?

12 hours ago, dave moffat said:

I find  I prefer the Aulos. I used to play a lot and was quite good

I have both the descant and tenor though I don't play as much since I lost the tip of my left thumb which make playing the top notes a bit awkward.

Cheers, any thoughts on keyed or keyless?

12 hours ago, dave moffat said:

I find  I prefer the Aulos. I used to play a lot and was quite good

I have both the descant and tenor though I don't play as much since I lost the tip of my left thumb which make playing the top notes a bit awkward.

Cheers, any thoughts on keyed or keyless?

Edit: also ‘ouch’.

• 1 month later...

The Aulos ones are a bit warmer sounding but seem to need a lot of puff.  The Yamaha's have a nice narrow air way so use less breath, more like decent wooden recorders ( you have to spend £400 or more to better the yammy imo)  though they do clog with spit more than the Aulos.  I have one of each knocking about (alto/treble not tenor mind).  Go keyed I'd say .. just easier to cover the hole properly. 

8 hours ago, NickA said:

The Aulos ones are a bit warmer sounding but seem to need a lot of puff.  The Yamaha's have a nice narrow air way so use less breath, more like decent wooden recorders ( you have to spend £400 or more to better the yammy imo)  though they do clog with spit more than the Aulos.  I have one of each knocking about (alto/treble not tenor mind).  Go keyed I'd say .. just easier to cover the hole properly. 

6 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

I have a Yamaha and my hands are not large. Both the Yamaha and the Aulos are sufficiently good that you'd need to spend decent money to get a better wooden one. For wooden ones, the Early Music Shop has a big choice. https://earlymusicshop.com/collections/recorders

Thanks both. I had put this on the back burner until the new financial year - tax deductible!

I had a £450 pallisander wood alto from the early music shop. Sounded lovely but it was never quite in tune and was really hard to get the bottom note out of.  Sold intending to get a Rosewood Moek Rottenburgh.  Never did.  Still have the placky yammy.  I'm told the zen-on bressan plastics are very good too.

• 1 year later...

Just cruising the threads and this popped up. Played bass and drums for ever...Played violin at school but packed it in for Punk, (can still read ok)  Decided two yrs ago at 61 its time to get back into classical so got myself a Yammie tenor recorder (other half has played on off for yrs) ....Hard to start with but huge fun and a re-freshing change from playing rythmn. 

• Like 1

I just dug out a few recorders from my junk, a couple of kids descant plastic things and an old wooden Treble.

The treble was, in history, I believe the main instrument of the set ,and much music in the 1600s and 1700s that specified "flute" actually meant recorder rather than the thing we now call a flute. 

I worked out how to play "finger of fudge" just now 😀

I do like me a bit of nice recorder music  - I find that I prefer the dry woody tone of the recorder to the saccharine sweet sound of a flute. 

Vivaldi composed a fair bit for the instrument  - ironic, given that he was employed by a school as their music teacher.  How did schools get from Vivaldi writing virtuoso ensemble pieces for orchestra and recorder,  and children playing London's Burning. 

54 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

I do like me a bit of nice recorder music  - I find that I prefer the dry woody tone of the recorder to the saccharine sweet sound of a flute. 

Vivaldi composed a fair bit for the instrument  - ironic, given that he was employed by a school as their music teacher.  How did schools get from Vivaldi writing virtuoso ensemble pieces for orchestra and recorder,  and children playing London's Burning. 

Vivaldi was I believe a priest, and his pupils were resident girls from a convent, I guess they focused and devoted quite a bit of time on music both church and secular