Why become a member? ×

Unnecessarily complicated short scale project

alittlebitrobot

With the Psilos, the through neck had the angled ramp incorporated.  We couldn't hide the block like @Kiwi (lovely job, by the way :) ) because the body was only 25mm thick! :

GlRHvFul.jpg

The judgement/hope was that the block would 'wrap round' the player and therefore not be in the way.  And to our great relief, that's what it does :D

• Like 3

The block was made out of mahogany and it's unfinished beyond the visible parts so it's shrunk a bit in the last 5 years, but it could have been made out of anything solid.   There's so much I would do differently if I had a second stab at things.  Aluminium might have saved a few hundred grams without loss of performance and it's soft enough to be shaped with wood tools.  Maple or other woods were possible as well.

I would have widened the recess as well because it's a bit tight around the sides.

• Like 3

Just in case, here's how to get the best of both worlds according to the Dobbratz brothers, the two Le Fay basses owners.

It's what they call the RHT which stands for Right Hand Tuning, so basically a headless with a headstock.

It has become my number one bass.

416506967_LeFayRemingtonSteele6RHTCCCAPBigBlock(13).thumb.jpg.2e8663272cf281ce6589540e86deadbf.jpg

2118616032_LeFayRemingtonSteele6RHTCCCAPBigBlock(15).thumb.jpg.2302fdb6557302779a7034040af81958.jpg

1795475667_LeFayRemingtonSteele6RHTCCCAPBigBlock(16).thumb.jpg.a5908f95207b0f12ff0d0de2ef1f1d8d.jpg

393084017_LeFayRemingtonSteele6RHTCCCAPBigBlock(17).thumb.jpg.97ef13987d70a31d89280db9c06d5ad5.jpg

And yes, it's a stainless steel fingerboard.

• Like 2

Indeed, sound wise it's very close to my Leduc Masterpiece fretless basses with a Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, not harsh at all, with a bit more harmonics.

I'm a huge fan of the Vigier Delta Metal fingerboard fretless basses, which was first offered by Vigier in 1980 as the Arpège fretless bass, and have owned a few over the years, like this very early one, bearing serial number 004 (not mine).

prod_1144_4857_large.jpg.efc12cc5806aa5e3729f34061a84e1b2.jpg

But I've always wanted a sixer metal fingerboard fretless, so my wife offered me, last year, the above mentioned Le Fay Remington Steele 6 RHT CC CAP Big Block (that's its name !).

Edited by Hellzero
Photo added and text reorganised
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Just in case, here's how to get the best of both worlds according to the Dobbratz brothers, the two Le Fay basses owners.

It's what they call the RHT which stands for Right Hand Tuning, so basically a headless with a headstock

I just stumbled across this in my Reverb feed.  Bogart were up to the same thing.  

img_2_1642406679041.jpg

img_1_1642406660939.jpg

• Like 4

The strings changing is really fast and clever on the Le Fay as it's a self locking system (without any locking device).

Check this

That said, on the Bogart basses, the tuning keys are used as a locking device, which is very clever too. 😉

• Like 1