Why become a member? ×

Euphonic Audio cease business, sad news

Clarky

Just seen this on Gollihur's latest email (the well known US double bass retailers), EA (beloved of Leland Sklar, Percy Jones, John Patitucci etc) have shut for good :

"Sadly, we must announce that after 40 years EA has ceased operations effective December 31, 2021.

EA was formed in 1981 as a high-end hi-fi speaker manufacturer. In 1996 we focused attention on accurate sounding, compact, and lightweight gear for bass instruments, always emphasizing utilizing USA based sourcing and assembly. Throughout these past 40 years we have tried to make the best possible products for the best price, and to focus on outstanding customer service. We have always operated with a tight profit margin and of course, given our size, we never had the purchasing advantage of larger organizations. The worldwide COVID situation has created shipping and parts sourcing issues beyond our ability to overcome.

Our supply of replacement drivers and our remaining inventory have been transferred to Gollihur music (https://gollihurmusic.com/). John and Larry will be retiring, and Gary will continue his audio construction business.

EA was always a labor of love and we appreciate all those that we touched in over 40 years of business. We wish you all well and thank you for your support over the years."

• Sad 12

23 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Although EA's amps and cabs work well with electric basses (witness the aforementioned Messrs Sklar and Jones), their closure leaves Acoustic Image as the only one internationally recognised manufacturer of amps for DB. Big shame

What about AER?

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

What about AER?

Not sure they are top of every DBers list when it comes to amps. Sure, their combos are used by some and plenty of DBers use Markbass combos. But in terms of doubling, notch filters etc, it was really only EA and AI

31 minutes ago, 2pods said:

I had one of their small but mighty combos from here (think it may have been Owen's ?), but foolishly sold it to a nice BC member from the IOW. Wish I still had it.

Sad news

That's where that went! It was certainly from the days before lightweight was a thing.

• Like 1

😥

I've just gone back to my EA Doubler afer a brief affair with a Tecamp.  The Tecamp was nice and all but the EA is the whippet's wedding tackle for double bass.  The only consolation is that the EA amps are built with top quality components so my Doubler will carry on for alot longer than I will.

7 hours ago, Clarky said:

Not sure they are top of every DBers list when it comes to amps. Sure, their combos are used by some and plenty of DBers use Markbass combos. But in terms of doubling, notch filters etc, it was really only EA and AI

The AER amps are better than EA amps for guitar and DB. The quality and clarity is above any EA amp I’ve owned. 

• Sad 1

Not saying AER, PJB and others (Genzler and Tecamp/Eich for example) are not good for DB, they clearly are! Just that they don't have very specific DB functionality onboard (notch filters, phase adjusters, phantom power for mics etc) which some DBers want.