Why become a member? ×

Apps or software for working out bass parts

Waddycall

Just wondering what apps or software others use for working out bass parts for covers. I hate to use YouTube tutorials unless I really need to as I don’t think it helps me develop and practice theory. When I first started playing it was pausing and rewinding cassettes over and over to work stuff out. Now I use Anytune Pro on my iPad  to repeat sections, slow them down without altering pitch and  also tweak the tuning of recordings that have been mastered fast or slow or recorded out of standard tuning.

what tools do you use?

I've tried out a number of pieces of software to help me learn tracks and the one I found best is the "Amazing Slow Downer". Yes I agree its not the best named package but it does a lot more than it says on the tin. 🙂 The website is HERE. You could use the trial version to see if its what you're looking for before paying. It's about £50 so not cheap but after trying others out I was happy to pay for its simplicity, quality and convenience.

It has a simple interface which allows the usual pitch / speed changes but also you can set loops to practice specific riffs, adjust EQ to help hear the bass. The two elements that sold it for me were the quality of the sound when you really slow a track down. Its not perfect but didn't break up as much as a lot of the others I tried. The other one is that you can save several presets to one track. This means I can come back to a song, recall a preset that changes the pitch / speed / selects a specific loop / apply the EQ within seconds. Great if you want to gradually build up speed on a riff, you can keep increasing the tempo and then save it as a reference point.

image.png.af0c2e219cde4df6af6fc498e7d4ed4d.png

• Like 1

Another vote for Transcribe here. Been using it for years.

Lets you change pitches, slow down parts, loop parts, change eq to better hear parts, and a ton more.

It also has footswitch support for hands-free playback, which can be handy (or footsy?).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

another vote for Transcribe...and a tip someone else shared, on the tracks where bass is more buried & less audible...raise it an octave, pops right out most times. A new app I got on black friday....RipX DeepRemix, not sure how the algorithms work, but you can isolate/ separate drums, bass, vox etc ( various clips on youtube)...generally quite good, some tracks isolate better than others

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Good old Audacity works for me. Tempo change retaining pitch, pitch change retaining tempo, looping, lots of other options and it’s free! Very useful last week getting to grips with ‘Echo Beach’...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Transcribe is good, use it along with a chord chart for the song, that’ll give you somewhere to start from. It’s good to get used to how intervals sound, that again will help when you’re working out a part.

• 6 months later...

I created LoopTube https://looptube.xyz as I wanted a web app to be able to quickly load a song and select a segment to loop, slow it down and move the loop around different phrases as I'm learning it. 

It needs a youtube ID or Link to load the song you want then you can control the loop length to focus on the area you want. 
Still working on it so let me know if you have any suggestions. 

You can also embed it in your own site - see the About page for iFrame embed code.

image.thumb.png.a68af64c54c432be95c2c2abbfb9257b.png

Edited by mantekka
screenshot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

What a great idea! Thanks for creating this, I’m sure it will be extremely useful. 👍

I’ve had a very quick play with it and my first thought is that it would help to set the start and end points for the loop if you could see the actual playing time of the video as it’s rolling. I think this would make fine tuning the loop length easier. I may have not have grasped how to use it properly though so please let me know if I’ve missed something. 

Awesome job 🙂

Edited by Velarian
Typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2023 at 07:07, jay bass said:

Try This free app

it splits the instruments so you can hear just bass etc

not perfect

but its free and helpful .

https://splitter.ai/

I've joined two bands this year and have had about 40 songs to work out, transcribe and learn so far. I've used splitter.ai on most of them and it's made the whole process so much quicker and more accurate.

It's amazing what that software can do and has the added benefit that you can remove the bass and use it as a backing track to practice.

For anyone who has not tried it, give it a go. It's free and just involves uploading an audio file.

I have also tried a paid one called lalal.ai which was noticeably better at splitting the tracks so each instrument sounds better in isolation. However, you buy in units of time corresponding to the length of the audio file being uploaded. Some of my minutes went missing though and I got no joy with the customer support, so would be cautious about using it again.

Has anyone else used any other AI based song splitting technology they could recommend?

I've tried moises.ai.  I don't currently have any actual need to separate tracks, but the AI tech is fascinating and just for that I'd recommend giving it a go.  I think moises.ai and splitter.ai (and a few others) are based on the spleeter library - there's an overview here https://deezer.io/releasing-spleeter-deezer-r-d-source-separation-engine-2b88985e797e

37 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

I've tried moises.ai.  I don't currently have any actual need to separate tracks, but the AI tech is fascinating and just for that I'd recommend giving it a go.  I think moises.ai and splitter.ai (and a few others) are based on the spleeter library - there's an overview here https://deezer.io/releasing-spleeter-deezer-r-d-source-separation-engine-2b88985e797e

Thanks, I'll check it out.

• 1 year later...

FYI I've updated LoopTube so that you can save your loops and share them or bookmark them. 
There are more ways for you to set the loop boundaries, with buttons, keyboard shortcuts or by dragging the indicators on the timeline. 

And you can slow down / speed up the loops with more precision. 

Here's an example: https://www.looptube.xyz/?vid=O10o3IuD-qo&start=18.375240979019168&end=22.831868028610273

On 05/02/2023 at 20:12, mantekka said:

I created LoopTube https://looptube.xyz as I wanted a web app to be able to quickly load a song and select a segment to loop, slow it down and move the loop around different phrases as I'm learning it. 

It needs a youtube ID or Link to load the song you want then you can control the loop length to focus on the area you want. 
Still working on it so let me know if you have any suggestions. 

You can also embed it in your own site - see the About page for iFrame embed code.