Why become a member? ×

Irrational or illogical GAS - support group

BassAgent

I currently have a thing for fretless and the ones i'm drawn to are waaay out of my price range, not that i'm looking to buy anything right now but i sure like looking. This one is currently top of the fantasy want list...

Marleauxzaeyx.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

They do a Contemporary version too, which starts at €699, and an Ignition which starts at about €350 ;) 

I've never tried one, but some of the bass lines on Air's "Moon Safari" were recorded with one if I'm not mistaken and sound great! 

I know that, I even almost bought a Contemporary. But when I use my Mustang, my GAS disappears.

I started playing again in January after many many many many many years of stop and I am a couch player. No plans to join a band in the short term as my one year old is very good at filling free time. In a way, for me any purchase is "irrational" and I could do with one bass. But I have been affected by severe GAS from the outset. Since January, I have bought six basses and one EUB. Luckily there are limits to my madness so two of the basses (including the EUB) have been returned, one was sold, one is for sale, one soon for sale.
The fact is that I am finding learning about basses, strings, setups, machine heads, what string spacing I Iove and why, etc.. almost as fun as playing, a hobby in itself. When I was playing years ago buying multiple basses was not an option, funancially. Continuing to buy at this pace is not an option either but I believe I am getting there (or maybe I am there) in terms of having the right basses for what I like to play.
Luckily, in a way I am stingy so all of my basses cost me well under £300 (two were over 400 tbh but I returned them both as the value-for-money equation did not work for me). 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with my TecAmp Puma 500. It sounds great, has never let me down, suits the gigs I play (or played) and is nice and light.

So why am I gassing for a new amp? 🤔

Because you want the 900?

On 02/06/2022 at 22:26, Thump said:

I currently have a thing for fretless and the ones i'm drawn to are waaay out of my price range, not that i'm looking to buy anything right now but i sure like looking. This one is currently top of the fantasy want list...

Marleauxzaeyx.jpg

Me too (but with 5 strings).

• Like 1

I'd like another Alembic Series 2, but none I see second hand are close to what I'd spec if I had one built from scratch. New are a tad on the expensive side and the wait time too long. Plus I'm really not sure what I'd use it for that one of my modest basses wouldn't do just as well.

Other than that, maybe an Ibanez EHB1265. 

I have zero interest in any of the vintage basses that command high $.

• Like 1

Fender Musicmaster basses…

I know that I do not get on with short scales…BUT I WANT ONE!

Erm.

Gibson Thunderbirds…non reverse.

Had one…(albeit a 90’s p/j Epiphone)

looked stupid on me: but I love how they look.

All of my GAS is irrational as I’ll end up selling it anyhow 🥴🤣

• Like 1

I've been happily using my TC RH750 for 7 years now, and have precisely zero need to change it - gives me the tone I'm after and has some great features. But there's something about the Markbass Vintage D2 that's making me come over all funny right now...

EDIT - Just noticed thread is in the 'Bass Guitars' section.  I'll get my coat....

Edited by Bass Culture

Fender JMJ Mustang Bass

New band does a lot of car share gigs so aside from the benefits of reduced weight & size to me personally as the player it will be a lot easier to fit in an already quite chock full motor. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Fender JMJ Mustang Bass

New band does a lot of car share gigs so aside from the benefits of reduced weight & size to me personally as the player it will be a lot easier to fit in an already quite chock full motor. 

Sounds quite logical to me, Lozz!

On 12/06/2022 at 16:08, Lozz196 said:

Fender JMJ Mustang Bass

Get one. They're absolutely amazing.

I'm GASsing for an Origin BassRig 64 preamp but I already have a Trickfish Minnow. And it's expensive.

On 12/01/2022 at 19:30, BassAgent said:

What's your GAS you know you shouldn't have?

Right now it's amps. I've got a perfectly good amp that is loud enough, doesn't have valves that are expensive to replace and is flexible enough for each bass I have. 

I really want something with a tube front end though, like an Ashdown ABM. I also really like the look of the Markbass Marcus Miller stuff... Complete opposite, I know! I really like the GK amp sound too and I'm a sucker for trying to find old SWR amp heads going cheap. I don't need any of it at all.