Why become a member? ×

Irrational or illogical GAS - support group

BassAgent

On 13/01/2022 at 11:24, Happy Jack said:

Describing GAS as "irrational or illogical" is a tautology. Of course it's irrational and illogical. If a desire to purchase something is rational and logical then it's just buying the right tool for the job.

The very definition of GAS is buying stuff you don't need because the acquisition itself is the aim of the transaction.

Don't ask me how I know.

Tautology, every day is a school day. I'll be using that all weekend 😎

I played an Aria Feb fretless acoustic in a local music shop and it has me split in half.

preview.jpg.b2698d0eded3582d62d2775c4c6385b9.jpg

The GAS-having musician part of me is bursting to own it.

But the pragmatic, sensible half is saying "what would I play on this that I can't play on my 34" scale fretless I already own (whose tone I love)?". Also, where would I put it? It's pretty big..

Some day, when I'm having a rough time, I know I'll snap and buy it in a rush of retail therapy. Plus, the shop have made it perfectly clear that if they've sold the one they have in stock, it's no problem- just say the word and they'll order another one for me...

NOT HELPING, lads..

On 12/01/2022 at 21:42, Lozz196 said:

I’d like another Gibson Les Paul bass, had one about 15 years ago and loved it. But being a confirmed Precision player now it’s unlikely I would use it in a band and Les Pauls I find awkward to play sitting down due to the shape and edge. So would be pointless. But I still want one.

I almost bought one of these in the '80's, but it was very, very heavy....couldn't make myself think about schlepping it around.

On 12/01/2022 at 21:42, Lozz196 said:

I’d like another Gibson Les Paul bass, had one about 15 years ago and loved it. But being a confirmed Precision player now it’s unlikely I would use it in a band and Les Pauls I find awkward to play sitting down due to the shape and edge. So would be pointless. But I still want one.

I'm intrigued but you're going to have to be more specific than that, as a 15+ year old Gibson Les Paul bass could be...

Les Paul bass (original, short scale)

Les Paul Triumph (short scale)

Les Paul (small body, regular scale)

Les Paul Double Cut/Money (regular scale)

Les Paul Oversized (regular scale)

I'm not going to count the Les Paul Signature (the one the Epiphone Jack Casady evolved from).  You say 15 years ago so I think that predates the ES Les Paul (hollow body, short scale) and obviously predates the Les Paul Junior Tribute (short scale)

Not at all like Gibson to be fuzzy and unfocused when it comes to nomenclature, eh? ;)

FWIW, I kind of miss my LP Double Cut, but not as much as I miss my 1978 G-3.

14 hours ago, alittlebitrobot said:

I played an Aria Feb fretless acoustic in a local music shop and it has me split in half.

preview.jpg.b2698d0eded3582d62d2775c4c6385b9.jpg

The GAS-having musician part of me is bursting to own it.

But the pragmatic, sensible half is saying "what would I play on this that I can't play on my 34" scale fretless I already own (whose tone I love)?". Also, where would I put it? It's pretty big..

Some day, when I'm having a rough time, I know I'll snap and buy it in a rush of retail therapy. Plus, the shop have made it perfectly clear that if they've sold the one they have in stock, it's no problem- just say the word and they'll order another one for me...

NOT HELPING, lads..

I played one of those. It was great!

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

I'm intrigued but you're going to have to be more specific than that, as a 15+ year old Gibson Les Paul bass could be...

Les Paul bass (original, short scale)

Les Paul Triumph (short scale)

Les Paul (small body, regular scale)

Les Paul Double Cut/Money (regular scale)

Les Paul Oversized (regular scale)

I'm not going to count the Les Paul Signature (the one the Epiphone Jack Casady evolved from).  You say 15 years ago so I think that predates the ES Les Paul (hollow body, short scale) and obviously predates the Les Paul Junior Tribute (short scale)

Not at all like Gibson to be fuzzy and unfocused when it comes to nomenclature, eh? ;)

FWIW, I kind of miss my LP Double Cut, but not as much as I miss my 1978 G-3.

It was the small body, regular scale one. Was a great bass, ideal for rock music as had a nice warm, deep sound to it, and played like a dream. I`d best stop enthusing about it or that will make the GAS even worse!

10 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It was the small body, regular scale one. Was a great bass, ideal for rock music as had a nice warm, deep sound to it, and played like a dream. I`d best stop enthusing about it or that will make the GAS even worse!

So the Gibson equivalent of this, yeah?

5234431026_bf2bc56fef_b.thumb.jpg.89f5a695f53bfabad360e0108281a042.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Didn't Gibson also make a "Recording" version of the bass? I seem to remember that....

The Les Paul Triumph is the bass partner of the Les Paul Recording guitar.  The name "Recording" was only applied to the guitar.

https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1971_low_impedence_index.php

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes that was the one, had it in sunburst, was just about the only time people ever realised I was in a band/spoke to me. Probably cos it looked like a guitar.

Heh.  I love the aesthetics of these small bodied, long necked beasties.  The later "oversized" variants made a little sick in my mouth.  I never found my Epiphone to be ergonomically challenging either.

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

The Les Paul Triumph is the bass partner of the Les Paul Recording guitar.  The name "Recording" was only applied to the guitar.

https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/catalogues/1971_low_impedence_index.php

Never been a massive fan of Gibson's basses, but I always liked the Triumph. Always reminds me of Alex James.

18 hours ago, neepheid said:

Yup...that's it. Great sounding bass with a low-impedance jack...first I saw like that until Alembic did it. 

• 4 months later...
On 13/01/2022 at 09:20, BassAgent said:

What about stuff like Serek, Wilcock?

This is my exact irrational GAS problem right now. I bought a cheap Fallout and quite like it, but remain unconvinced that short scale is for me at all…. And yet I’m having real trouble with this, despite it being (a) really expensive and (b) an 11 month wait to get one. 

2811B7DE-4B00-4000-8208-60B9494BFA24.jpeg

• Like 2

Ha, interesting to see this thread at the top again! Because this response by me:

On 13/01/2022 at 09:35, LeftyJ said:

I've been having shortscale GAS for the better part of last year, and it's here to stay I'm afraid. So I want one. But I have no use for it. Lefty Mustangs and Musicmasters are very rare to come by and prices have increased a lot, and Fender have no plans to revive them. 

...didn't take long to get fulfilled :lol:

It's still an irrational purchase, because I have no use for it outside my home whatsoever, but it's so much fun and easy to play, so well-made and just so cute! I've been playing this almost exclusively since it arrived.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

It's still an irrational purchase, because I have no use for it outside my home whatsoever, but it's so much fun and easy to play, so well-made and just so cute! I've been playing this almost exclusively since it arrived.

Sometimes it's just about being fun to play. And if you need any reasonable justification then anything that inspires or encourages you to play has got to be of benefit. (I chant that to myself at least once a week - slightly more since I joined BC). 😀

• Like 3

As long as you don’t impoverish yourself or your family where’s the harm? Look how much some people spend on gym membership a month, or go out drinking every weekend, or smoking, or £400 a month just to have a new plate car or a million other things. Anything that enriches your life is a plus, if that thing can be sold for the same money or thereabouts if you get bored of it is a bonus.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

Ha, interesting to see this thread at the top again! Because this response by me:

...didn't take long to get fulfilled :lol:

Haha yeah I know the feeling...I started this topic on January 12th, and 12 days later...

But my next GAS object that has no purpose or need whatsoever is a Höfner Club bass. Lucky for me I don't have the funds for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MM DarkRay 5. I have no need of distortion and not a fan of Darkglass preamps but for some reason I seem to want one. Strangely the more generally available Starry Night version is more attractive to me than the limited edition white version. Fortunately the £3,300 price is enough to keep the wallet chained up :)

5 hours ago, BassAgent said:

But my next GAS object that has no purpose or need whatsoever is a Höfner Club bass. Lucky for me I don't have the funds for it.

They do a Contemporary version too, which starts at €699, and an Ignition which starts at about €350 ;) 

I've never tried one, but some of the bass lines on Air's "Moon Safari" were recorded with one if I'm not mistaken and sound great! 

Edited by LeftyJ