Why become a member? ×

Irrational or illogical GAS - support group

BassAgent

I rarely suffer from GAS these days but sometimes I feel it for a bass I know I don't need, I know I will not use but still I feel I want one. This time it's for a bass I thought I'd never want to get but I was visiting a great Belgian bass player the other day and he had a MM Stingray 5 with the older ceramic pickup and it felt and sounded absolutely killer. The weird thing is I don't really like the sound of a Stingray (except when fretless), I'm not a big fan of their playability (because I'm used to Jazz Basses) and I have no band where it could get used. But still. I want one. Help me. 

maxguitar_arc-00341_stingray_black-1.jpg

What's your GAS you know you shouldn't have?

Edited by BassAgent
  • Like 5

• BassAgent changed the title to Irrational or illogical GAS - support group

I'd love a stingray. I had a 5 but sold it as it was too heavy.

I'd like a 4 string - ideally in natural with rosewood board like 'Nard Edwards.

It will never happen, but I'd love a Vic Wooten signature Fodera - the aged version with the quilt top. I think I would struggle dropping £20,000 on a bass even if I did win the Euromillions jackpot and could afford to insure it and risk it by gigging it.

But there's something about it I love.

I've never even played one, it just calls to me.

• Like 1

I’d like another Gibson Les Paul bass, had one about 15 years ago and loved it. But being a confirmed Precision player now it’s unlikely I would use it in a band and Les Pauls I find awkward to play sitting down due to the shape and edge. So would be pointless. But I still want one.

2 hours ago, BassAgent said:

I rarely suffer from GAS these days but sometimes I feel it for a bass I know I don't need, I know I will not use but still I feel I want one. This time it's for a bass I thought I'd never want to get but I was visiting a great Belgian bass player the other day and he had a MM Stingray 5 with the older ceramic pickup and it felt and sounded absolutely killer. The weird thing is I don't really like the sound of a Stingray (except when fretless), I'm not a big fan of their playability (because I'm used to Jazz Basses) and I have no band where it could get used. But still. I want one. Help me. 

I am genuinely the least OCD person you could ever meet but the random arrangement of different curve radii really bugs me. They always look like a bitsa where someone has stuck a few random parts on a toilet seat.

As for GAS, I am a sucker for overdrive/ distortion/ fuzz pedals despite having a well sorted board making all the sounds I will ever want. If they are made by KMA then the GAS is worse still.

I neither need one, or even realistically have much of a use for one, but I really fancy the look of the new Hofner Ignition SE Clubs. Hofner decal on the body and teacup knobs…

Struggling to not bite and stick some flats on just for around the house. 

1ABB4FDD-76BB-4EBE-8E28-59FCC9DE5629.jpeg

Edited by mr4stringz

Any Stingray would fit into this category for me. They're an iconic looking bass, I love the design and tone, but I'd never use it in a band because the tone just isn't me in a band setting.

I also keep looking at this LTD at guitar guitar. I'm not sure if I love it or hate it and I'm far too bald to join a hair metal band..

210118366057025f.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BassAgent said:

Well, they're not exactly cheap.

I'd suggest this at half the price.

61prai3FuNS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

I've been having shortscale GAS for the better part of last year, and it's here to stay I'm afraid. So I want one. But I have no use for it. Lefty Mustangs and Musicmasters are very rare to come by and prices have increased a lot, and Fender have no plans to revive them. 

13 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I'd love a stingray. I had a 5 but sold it as it was too heavy.

I'd like a 4 string - ideally in natural with rosewood board like 'Nard Edwards.

Same here but Bernard's Stingray had a maple fingerboard. I have been trying to find one with the 2 band EQ for ages but cannot find one. There are some pre-EBMM and Stingray Classics available, but they have slab bodies which I do not really like. So, finding an EBMM SR 4 with a 2 EQ, natural finish and maple FB is really tricky. Well, I will keep on hunting 🙂 

11 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I also keep looking at this LTD at guitar guitar. I'm not sure if I love it or hate it and I'm far too bald to join a hair metal band..

210118366057025f.jpg

I have been eying this one as well. However, I then saw the back of the neck and how it compares with the necks of two of LTD's guitars in the same finish. Why didn't they do it for the bass too? Discrimination 😞

back.thumb.jpg.a1a5cb026c9f69b399be58539ac30620.jpg back_2.thumb.png.b404d4209791733e3f06b383c11515d6.png back_3.thumb.png.53d6d06440284facb0bfbacd14c61fd1.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, BassAgent said:

Human beings are not rational creatures. Much of what we do and what we aspire to be is not rational.

Where a MusicMan Stingray 5 fits into that, I have no idea, but it is a bass that has many strengths ( versatile sound, robust design, great low B string, to name but a few) and a few weaknesses. Only you can decide if you can live with the shortcomings. Most notably:

1) 17.5 mm string spacing ( not necessarily a bad thing by any means, but something to be aware of if you are primarily a 4 string player.)

2) The G string is usually very close to the edge of the fingerboard, meaning it keeps whizzing off the edge of the fret and choking the note, usually when you are most enjoying yourself. It drives me and plenty of other folks crazy. 

3) A lot of Stingray 5s are quite heavy. Some are really heavy. Asess the weight carefully before you take the plunge. A bass that is too heavy will always be too heavy.

Edited by Misdee

Describing GAS as "irrational or illogical" is a tautology. Of course it's irrational and illogical. If a desire to purchase something is rational and logical then it's just buying the right tool for the job.

The very definition of GAS is buying stuff you don't need because the acquisition itself is the aim of the transaction.

Don't ask me how I know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I have been eying this one as well. However, I then saw the back of the neck and how it compares with the necks of two of LTD's guitars in the same finish. Why didn't they do it for the bass too? Discrimination 😞

back.thumb.jpg.a1a5cb026c9f69b399be58539ac30620.jpg back_2.thumb.png.b404d4209791733e3f06b383c11515d6.png back_3.thumb.png.53d6d06440284facb0bfbacd14c61fd1.png

Ahhhh, I didn't know they did guitars in that finish too. When I saw the back of the neck, my first thought was they should have continued the finish, and the geetars look so much better for it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Ahhhh, I didn't know they did guitars in that finish too. When I saw the back of the neck, my first thought was they should have continued the finish, and the geetars look so much better for it

Well that should have solved this GAS attack for you then 😉